Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/04/2022 at 20:32, Tonka said:

Coincidentally, I saw it yesterday at Ellesmere Port. Quite a good gathering there this year.

Alec

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Technically built as a horse boat, but would be a perfect partner for The North which was built at the same time but happened to get converted to a motor a few years later.

3 hours ago, mykaskin said:

Technically built as a horse boat, but would be a perfect partner for The North which was built at the same time but happened to get converted to a motor a few years later.

Mercury was Tom Lavender's old boat, It used to run carrying coal with Nutfield, captained by Ian McDonald in the 1990's.

https://hnbc.org.uk/boats/mercury-0

Edited by David Schweizer

22 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

How did those poor unfortunates ever survive. The safety elf would have a field day. Im sure most have been traumatised.

Don't ever let the safety elf see and inspect a lock, The elf would expire of an instant heart attack, probably after severing its fingers in the paddle gear. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, MtB said:

Don't ever let the safety elf see and inspect a lock, The elf would expire of an instant heart attack, probably after severing its fingers in the paddle gear. 

Stourport and a cyclist immediately comes to mind.

11 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

How did those poor unfortunates ever survive. The safety elf would have a field day. Im sure most have been traumatised.

They probably turned out like me as camping boats were my introduction to the wonderful world of canalling.

Poor sods!

My endearing memories of seeing camping boats in action mainly involve watching six blissful boy sprouts with their legs dangling over the front end as they watched a lock wall approaching.  They obviously never introduced a badge for anticipating crushed limbs.

I once observed a fascinating exercise reminiscent of an Eric Sykes film. A brood of youngsters heroically leapt the gap to the towpath, each brandishing a windlass.

Falling over each other they ran up to the first Hillmorton Lock which was open and ready for them.  Attacking the lock with gusto they slammed the gates closed in the face of their steerer and raised the paddles.  Their mate swinging around on the tiller couldn't make himself heard above the noise of his hard reversing engine and could only watch on in dismay as his marauding charges turned their attention to the upper paddles while all leaning on the beam determined to force the gate backwards against the stop.  Quickly giving that up as a bad job they galloped off like a herd of wildebeest to right any wrongs that may await them around the corner, the towpath behind them littered with lock keys. 

Edited by zenataomm
Falolloping digits
  • Greenie 1

3 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

A lot was lost with the demise of camping boats. Mostly caused by teacher comforts I think.

On the other hand there would not have been Wfbco boats if the crews hadnt had to turn their talents to other things.

I know an ex-teacher who use to take kids on boats out of Birmingham. The paperwork was something else and he had to be a bit , shall we say , creative when filling it in.

• Haha 1

We used to have abet on turnaround day as the new passengers came on board as to which one of them would be first to fall in. Narrow bridge holes were the scariest places as they would come straight up out of the hold or have legs dangling over the cabin sides.

What really finished us off was when the scouts decreed that the leader couldn’t sleep in the same place as the scouts and as we had steerers on the boats this couldn’t work.

Photo going down Braunston

0B680C48-825C-41F2-9D20-3BAB3E1F1915.jpeg

On 28/04/2022 at 15:59, Dav and Pen said:

We used to have abet on turnaround day as the new passengers came on board as to which one of them would be first to fall in. Narrow bridge holes were the scariest places as they would come straight up out of the hold or have legs dangling over the cabin sides.

What really finished us off was when the scouts decreed that the leader couldn’t sleep in the same place as the scouts and as we had steerers on the boats this couldn’t work.

Photo going down Braunston

0B680C48-825C-41F2-9D20-3BAB3E1F1915.jpeg

Tadworth looking tidy there.

• Greenie 1