Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

17 hours ago, IanM said:

I think the make another boat bit is wrong, it's probably just had a bit chopped out of the middle with that part then being scrapped.  Who is going to chop a boat in half, then make a whole new 20ft section to turn it into 55ft and then make another new 20ft section to make a 2nd boat?

Im not naming names….

but i know of a 1980s steel narrowboat that became a josher, 

A station boat that was turned into a 60 foot motor then cut again, taken back up to 70 . The stern turned into another tug. God was the survey interesting.

1928 meets 1990 meets 1997 , iron meets steel, then more iron then finally steel again.

At one time it was moored alongside itself the total length now being 117 feet.

2 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Im not naming names….

but i know of a 1980s steel narrowboat that became a josher, 

A station boat that was turned into a 60 foot motor then cut again, taken back up to 70 . The stern turned into another tug. God was the survey interesting.

1928 meets 1990 meets 1997 , iron meets steel, then more iron then finally steel again.

At one time it was moored alongside itself the total length now being 117 feet.

Ahh always read to end of posts! Someone else outed Brentford for me!!

• Greenie 1

18 hours ago, IanM said:

I think the make another boat bit is wrong, it's probably just had a bit chopped out of the middle with that part then being scrapped.  Who is going to chop a boat in half, then make a whole new 20ft section to turn it into 55ft and then make another new 20ft section to make a 2nd boat?

There would have been about 17’ removed which with a new bow, rear swim and counter would make a 35’ boat so I don’t think it’s impossible, and the boat in question may very well be referenced above.

17 hours ago, BEngo said:

I cannot see the tongue in cheek smiley so I'll bite.  There are several GUCCCo buttys,  at least one Josher butty and one Josher motor,   going around as two boats after being bisected.

ISTR one of the Severners was to be found in Aylesbury as a shortish boat with a Cruiser stern  in the late 70's/ early 80s.  Either "Pine "or "Fir" I think.

"Ash" with the Wakehams, was also there.

N

That’s common knowledge and cutting a butty in half to make two powered boats was a logical thing to do. Cutting up a motor to make two boats makes a lot less sense, but perhaps it’s a reminder that there was a time when 55’ would have been considered quite a large boat.

There used to be a 45ft ish narrow boat called "Antony" moored at Springwell near Ricky. 

It was rather unusual in that it had the stern of what I assumed was a GU star class motor but it had a modern steel bow section.

So presumably the original bow went on another boat somewhere or perhaps it was too badly damaged and became unserviceable. 

It was a nice boat about 45ft long. Wooden cabin and apparently the bow section, which was an unusual shape and appeared to have a double curve effect, was made by WFBCo. 

Not been up there for years so don't know if it's still there. Last time I saw it was probably around 2005. 

That seems to be an example of a motor which was cut to make two boats. 

ETA I think it was a yarwoods craft but not sure. Interestingly there are two boats on the boat listing with that name. One by H&W and one by yarwoods so perhaps some confusion somewhere along the line. I think the one at Ricky was the Water Lilac which was presumably a BW hire boat. 

Screenshot_2022-03-25-12-03-53-192_com.android.chrome.jpg.0efb36c90149ce2c8ce350bec8664f62.jpgScreenshot_2022-03-25-12-03-45-665_com.android.chrome.jpg.bb314d9c6822b328f725c953093d57b7.jpg

Edited by magnetman

6 hours ago, Derek R. said:

1313475947_Bream02(Medium).jpg.49dd5e9122bdb4a9e6c8c7b71c264684.jpg

All images are mine.

That on the outside with the green woven plastic cloths is GUCCCo butty Pallas, photo I guess taken not long before I bought her from Chris Nicholls in December 1985

On 24/03/2022 at 17:10, BEngo said:

ISTR one of the Severners was to be found in Aylesbury as a shortish boat with a Cruiser stern  in the late 70's/ early 80s.  Either "Pine "or "Fir" I think.

You're right, Fir was at Aylesbury Basin (early 80s) in her Wyvern ex hire boat guise.

I was one of the crew who took her down to Jim's yard at Watford for the new owner.

She later moored at Cumberland Basin (Mary Turners' moorings)

Fir was the original stem and stern and even had the Single Petter original engine bed under the boards in the cabin at the back.

Prior to being made into a hire boat, the son of Wyvern Shipping took her to Braunston dry dock and replaced the elm bottoms with steel.

The last I saw of her she was hanging around Braunstone Bottom Lock (1990s ?) where the wooden top was removed and the steel one fitted.

When I knew her she still sported her cast Charles Hill Ship-Builders of Bristol plaque.  Her rudder was so big she was the only narrow boat I've ever steered that went just as well astern as forward .  Her party trick was to do backward circles around Brownings Island.

Is Bognor the one out of the water at Keksys farm on the Lee/Stort? Big 4 blade prop on it. 

Town class Woolwich boat I think it was. 

Pic from  @ditchcrawler seems to indicate yes it is. 

Edited by magnetman

That is a serious blade on there. 

It seems slightly over the top for a Perkins 4107. 

Nice boat I think. I seem to recall that that boat has an original grand union canal company exhaust funnel which is a rare item.

Shows up in one of the pictures. 

If I was after a Grand Union I think I would be exceeding the speed limit to get there.

There must be an Achilles heel but it's a nice boat innit. 

Edited by magnetman

I've not seen many Grand Unions out of the water. Did they have 4 blade props? Seems a bit odd to me. 

Originally it would have had a national or a RN twin. That prop looks more like something from a big engine. 

6 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I've not seen many Grand Unions out of the water. Did they have 4 blade props? Seems a bit odd to me. 

Originally it would have had a national or a RN twin. That prop looks more like something from a big engine. 

I was imagining a JP3 perhaps...

1 hour ago, RLWP said:

I've not come across a JP3 with anything other than a three bladed prop yet

Richard

I guess I was picking up on magnetman's observation on the sheer size of the prop in the photo rather than it being four-bladed. A JP3 might have had the grunt to turn it. 

The big problem with four blades is the turbine effect, AIUI.

12 hours ago, Capella247 said:

Bognor has come down in the world since it was for sale in 2015.

Seems it was then up for £200k, although some of that would have been the value of the transferable mooring in Battlebridge Basin. It had brass coachlamps on the front bulkhead if I recall, as well as a few other non-traditional fittings.