Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

On 18/03/2022 at 20:33, WhiteSuit said:

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.com/boat/yarwoods-70-traditional-for-sale/692334

Delphinus, looks gorgeous though slightly impractical as only a diesel aga.

It may well look gorgeous, but your link leads only to a blank Apollo Duck page, and typing "Delphinus" into their search engine yields nom results.

That could be because it's already been sold, I suppose.

On 21/03/2022 at 08:21, koukouvagia said:

That link doesn't work for me.  I just get an empty page.

Today's market maybe, blink and you miss it. I presume sold or can't bear to be without it. Unless they noticed mtb and my comments and thought they had better change the cooking arrangements in order to sell!

43 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

It does make me smile when I see this spelling mistake in a boat advert!

"2 birth boatmans cabin and 2 birth sofa bed in saloon"

Seems to imply the seller has four children, all born aboard. :)

Edited by MtB
Add a bit.
  • Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, MtB said:

Perhaps they are birthing chairs

6 hours ago, MtB said:

We often get asked how many "births" our (or should that be are?) boats. I'm always tempeted to reply with "Well, none so as I know, but I'm told there has been at least one conception..."

I'm surpised that after owning for so many years they seem to think it was tug. It wasn't, it was a carrying boat, and as built with a 9hp single pot engine I doubt it ever worked with a butty.

6 minutes ago, Rose Narrowboats said:

We often get asked how many "births" our (or should that be are?) boats. I'm always tempeted to reply with "Well, none so as I know, but I'm told there has been at least one conception..."

I'm surpised that after owning for so many years they seem to think it was tug. It wasn't, it was a carrying boat, and as built with a 9hp single pot engine I doubt it ever worked with a butty.

I take it , it would have been 70+ feet when built. Does chopping a third off increase the value, hardly a historic craft any more IMO

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

I take it , it would have been 70+ feet when built. Does chopping a third off increase the value, hardly a historic craft any more IMO

70’ and a bit more. It says it was chopped in half to make two boats. Appearances seem to confirm that’s not the original bow.

59 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Timber cants? The one for sale appears to have none.

So possibly a bit chopped out of the middle to make another boat.

I think the make another boat bit is wrong, it's probably just had a bit chopped out of the middle with that part then being scrapped.  Who is going to chop a boat in half, then make a whole new 20ft section to turn it into 55ft and then make another new 20ft section to make a 2nd boat?

I cannot see the tongue in cheek smiley so I'll bite.  There are several GUCCCo buttys,  at least one Josher butty and one Josher motor,   going around as two boats after being bisected.

ISTR one of the Severners was to be found in Aylesbury as a shortish boat with a Cruiser stern  in the late 70's/ early 80s.  Either "Pine "or "Fir" I think.

"Ash" with the Wakehams, was also there.

N

8 minutes ago, BEngo said:

I cannot see the tongue in cheek smiley so I'll bite.  There are several GUCCCo buttys,  at least one Josher butty and one Josher motor,   going around as two boats after being bisected.

I was aware of that, but how many have 20ft of new boat added as apposed to just a new swim and counter.

22 minutes ago, IanM said:

I was aware of that, but how many have 20ft of new boat added as apposed to just a new swim and counter.

Most of them. A decent new swim, engine 'ole and counter would be around 20 ft anyway. 

Frinstances: Dubhe is roughly half the original butty, with a decent sized extension: Achilles is about  60ft, again about half butty half new. Grange and Grange End are both about 60 ft, Bream had a substantial new chunk of fore end added to the Josher Swim.  I have never seen the front end of Bream but did met the owner once.  Brentford has more new boat than old bow.

N

1 hour ago, BEngo said:

Brentford has more new boat than old bow.

Is  Brentford a historic boat?

I understood it was originaly a hire boat, however I cant remember the boats name. ;)

Brain  works slowly ........

Was Brentford origionaly named Creeping Jenny?

Edited by Loddon

2 hours ago, IanM said:

And a few motors which were shortened in BW days by taking a section out of the middle, but retaining the original bow and stern, have since had new plates inserted in the middle to take them to (or nearer to) their original length.

14 hours ago, Loddon said:

Is  Brentford a historic boat?

I understood it was originaly a hire boat, however I cant remember the boats name. ;)

Brain  works slowly ........

Was Brentford origionaly named Creeping Jenny?

John & Georgie had CREEPING JENNY. It may have been an ex-hire boat but can't confirm that. In its shorter state (45-50ft?), it had a BM twin in the place where a back cabin would have been. Always spotless. When John lengthened it sometime in the eighties (to 60ft?), it acquired a back cabin and a engine'ole, and another engine. 3 or 4 pot BM - can't remember - it also lost the 'CREEPING'. It became JENNY. Then John acquired a hull, how much I don't know, and he grafted the fore end onto JENNY, renaming the boat BRENTFORD. It was mooted to be a Josher fore end, and became 70ft(?) What the hull or the fore end was called is also unknown, though from what I can gather there wasn't an ex-working boat called BRENTFORD, though that doesn't mean there never was one.

JENNY at around 60ft

1488246224_Jennyco0004(Medium).JPG.19c52c35948b60f9ca040f3d6b490a89.JPG

JENNY lenghtened, with its original fore end and the skinny gunnel.

944716001_Jennyco0008(Medium).JPG.115200efd1a2bc410e5f8da58ae63610.JPG

A bit of BREAM (the back end) and something else1313475947_Bream02(Medium).jpg.49dd5e9122bdb4a9e6c8c7b71c264684.jpg

505929051_Bream01(Medium).jpg.335b1b869bb986953ec5eab9598bf252.jpg

All images are mine.