Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

7 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

Did’nt Jim Mcdonald end up with Oriagne and convert it. ( Eileen)

Lovely boat 

That was a different boat I think. I remember Eileen at cassio wharf but recall it being unconverted. 

Orianne sat at common moor (with full wooden cabin) for years, near the overspill below the lock. 

The Eileen I remember at cassio wharf was one of the boats with rivetted bulb plate instead of D bar rubbing strakes. orianne has 3 inch D bar. 

Maybe he also had Orianne before that.

Orianne is a lovely boat. Too much for me to deal with but a serious nice boat for boating. I did do Stafford and back from Ricky including the Thames on her. Enjoyed that. 

Edited by magnetman

1 hour ago, magnetman said:
1 hour ago, magnetman said:

That was a different boat I think. I remember Eileen at cassio wharf but recall it being unconverted. 

Orianne sat at common moor (with full wooden cabin) for years, near the overspill below the lock. 

The Eileen I remember at cassio wharf was one of the boats with rivetted bulb plate instead of D bar rubbing strakes. orianne has 3 inch D bar. 

Maybe he also had Orianne before that.

Orianne is a lovely boat. Too much for me to deal with but a serious nice boat for boating. I did do Stafford and back from Ricky including the Thames on her. Enjoyed that. 

Clearly you know better than me I was making an assumption.

As I recall Jim had Elizabeth only when we used to be around Ricky.

We have only been south of Maffers once since 1988 so we had little contact till he turned up with Eileen at Wfb co in the mid 90s.

2 hours ago, MtB said:

More seriously, what are the differences between a horse boat and a butty built for towing by a motor? 

Presumably there are lots of differences, but having never owned either I've often wondered.

You dont get a bloody great shovel and a supply of biodegradable horse poo bags as part of the options list with a butty.

I (vaguely) remember that under the foredeck of Eileen was where Jim stored his home made wines.  When he lifted the deck and got a few out, you were in trouble. They were dangerously palatable.  Especially with birthday mince pies on Christmas Day morning.  The Parsnip should probably have been covered by international treaties on weapons of mass destruction.

Where are Eilwen, Elizabeth and Pig now?

N

2 hours ago, Loddon said:

He owned a boat called Eileen as well very similar to that picture, as I said I tried to buy it from him but he wouldn't sell :(

I was offered it but didn't buy it. Pretty sure it was not converted though. Planked deck as I recall it. Definitely the boat pictured by Ray T. Would have been mid 00s then I remember it going past at Lot Mead. It was that Eileen I was thinking of. Specifically remember it as it was going through ice one morning and the front end of the base plate was out of water so it was doing a really good job of it of breaking it.

I had Jim Mac's ex wife's windlass for £4. Nice windlass actually an old cast iron single socket Oxford pattern job. Still got it somewhere.

That Elisabeth boat did get around. One day on the Trent in heavy fog it went broadside onto a bridge and buckled the cabin. The dog ended up in the water but was okay. 

That's what he told me anyway. Could be an apocryphal tale. 

Although I dislike the design of Elisabeth it's actually quite a nice boat. Sold a few years ago but no idea where it went. 

Edited by magnetman

20 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I had Jim Mac's ex wife's windlass for £4. Nice windlass actually an old cast iron single socket Oxford pattern job. Still got it somewhere.

That Elisabeth boat did get around. One day on the Trent in heavy fog it went broadside onto a bridge and buckled the cabin. The dog ended up in the water but was okay. 

That's what he told me anyway. Could be an apocryphal tale. 

Although I dislike the design of Elisabeth it's actually quite a nice boat. Sold a few years ago but no idea where it went. 

First time I met Jim was at Stoke Bruerne at Christmas before I owned a boat, walking down the towpath passed them drinks were forced into our hands and then Jim showed us round his boat, a short while after they had set the cooker on fire with the Christmas dinner

I think Jim lived on ELIZABETH for maybe 50yrs or more. His home made wines were seriously powerful - and palatable! ELIZABETH's interior was an Edwardian gem.

We sat and talked at length after Mig left. Not a happy time. Later with a new partner he took ELIZABETH to France and cruised extensively, even considered building a canalside business there, but I believe authoritarian problems got in the way eventually. There was also mention of skinny dipping from ELIZABETH in the Med. Can't confirm that though. There was a little fracas when tied in a French basin somewhere, when Jim stuffed either a prosthetic hand or a rubber glove from the hawser hole in the fore end for a joke. Someone alerted the authorities and a search for a body began!

More recently his health suffered and I believe he is in care somewhere.

Talking about other people's stuff (and a complete aside), when we were tied up at Tooley's in Banbury in '83, Louise remarked on the nice little rag rug in the little caravan by the dock. Herbert promptly said "you can have it". Same caravan I believe that the Rolt's stayed in when they got back from Ireland and found CRESSY still not on dock. Only door mat sized and we still have it, so maybe we are stepping in the Rolt's footsteps!

Edited by Derek R.
  • Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, Derek R. said:

I think Jim lived on ELIZABETH for maybe 50yrs or more. His home made wines were seriously powerful - and palatable! ELIZABETH's interior was an Edwardian gem.

We sat and talked at length after Mig left. Not a happy time. Later with a new partner he took ELIZABETH to France and cruised extensively, even considered building a canalside business there, but I believe authoritarian problems got in the way eventually. There was also mention of skinny dipping from ELIZABETH in the Med. Can't confirm that though. There was a little fracas when tied in a French basin somewhere, when Jim stuffed either a prosthetic hand or a rubber glove from the hawser hole in the fore end for a joke. Someone alerted the authorities and a search for a body began!

Talking about other people's stuff (and a complete aside), when we were tied up at Tooley's in Banbury in '83, Louise remarked on the nice little rag rug in the little caravan by the dock. Herbert promptly said "you can have it". Same caravan I believe that the Rolt's stayed in when they got back from Ireland and found CRESSY still not on dock. Only door mat sized and we still have it, so maybe we are stepping in the Rolt's footsteps!

11 minutes ago, Derek R. said:

There was a little fracas when tied in a French basin somewhere, when Jim stuffed either a prosthetic hand or a rubber glove from the hawser hole in the fore end for a joke. Someone alerted the authorities and a search for a body began!

Yes.  Good old Jim.  He told me that story as well.  Also the one about side-swiping a bridge on the Trent in thick fog.

8 minutes ago, koukouvagia said:

Yes.  Good old Jim.  He told me that story as well.  Also the one about side-swiping a bridge on the Trent in thick fog.

That too. Must have been a terrifying experience. Done the Trent twice now from Keadby to Cromwell. Not a piece of water I would do again, what with Coasters coming up behind and meeting tanker barges at Gainsborough, 'sunken islands' and 'boils'. Glad to get into Nottingham - and that's saying something.

An 'era' has passed, but the memories remain.

Edited by Derek R.

Got a text

2 hours ago, Derek R. said:

got a text out of the blue from Jim once ‘ where do you think the boat is ?’

Basel. 
I went back to the day job.

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, sparrowcycles said:

It definitely won't fit at my place in Marple :)

89'4" x 16'8"  and don't ask about the air draft! That's a bit of a beast. You're right, I don't think we could manage to shoehorn it onto the Upper Peak.

At over 24m does it require a qualified skippper/crew when under way?

20 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

89'4" x 16'8"  and don't ask about the air draft! That's a bit of a beast. You're right, I don't think we could manage to shoehorn it onto the Upper Peak.

At over 24m does it require a qualified skippper/crew when under way?

I think the 24m limit means that when used for commercial operations the master's certification has to be a full Boatmaster's Licence and not one of permitted equivalent qualifications such as the RYA IW Helmsman that can be used for Cat A and B waters.

For pleasure use it wouldn't apply.

• Greenie 1

Two boats have been past in the last week that have lain empty and abused for a few years.

Kestrel was evicted from CRT waters and has been on the Nene unlicenced for about 6 years, finally rescued by Malcom Burge in a deal with the EA.

20220129_131125.jpg.0c8f796509204c1588eb512a3ace13fb.jpg

Archimedes also came past looking not too bad considering its 10 years with no love shown, Ara wasnt following though.

20220129_131023.jpg

• Greenie 2

7 hours ago, matty40s said:

Two boats have been past in the last week that have lain empty and abused for a few years.

Kestrel was evicted from CRT waters and has been on the Nene unlicenced for about 6 years, finally rescued by Malcom Burge in a deal with the EA.

20220129_131125.jpg.0c8f796509204c1588eb512a3ace13fb.jpg

Archimedes also came past looking not too bad considering its 10 years with no love shown, Ara wasnt following though.

20220129_131023.jpg

Archimedes has spent time at Brinklow recently having some love 🙂

155 Fulbourne Strip Out Long Weekend Brinklow 28th November 2021_2.JPG

• Greenie 1