Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

On 06/09/2021 at 21:11, stagedamager said:

Congratulations on your imminent purchase. She is a lovely boat, she moored with us for a while at Langley Mill, if you need any help with the Kelvin, give us a shout, we have a Kelvin expert on site!

Best of luck!

Dan

That’s not Dan’s boat,  is it? Dan.

• 1 month later...

56 minutes ago, agg221 said:

Thanks for the link. 

EREBUS has been discussed at length here previously. I think some doubt has been expressed about the wisdom of putting a tall steel (i.e. heavy) cabin on such a tender, round-chined and narrow hull. Is that what you meant about getting wet feet standing on the side?!

7 minutes ago, MtB said:

Thanks for the link. 

EREBUS has been discussed at length here previously. I think some doubt has been expressed about the wisdom of putting a tall steel (i.e. heavy) cabin on such a tender, round-chined and narrow hull. Is that what you meant about getting wet feet standing on the side?!

It will inevitably roll a bit, but my experience with Oates is that it is deceptive how stable they really are. There is a difference between rolling and being tender (unstable) which is technically about how quickly they re-centre after rolling. If the centre of gravity is low, they can roll a bit but re-centre pretty quickly which is what Oates does - there is a calculation that applies based on beam and time for an oscillation, which Oates passes and I would think Erebus probably does too, given the draft. It's similar to driving a 360 tracked excavator - the cab is up high but all the weight is down low so although it feels like you are moving a lot, there is no risk of tipping over.

The difference though is freeboard. Erebus looks to have less than 4" of freeboard along the centre of the gunwhale and it will definitely roll by more than that. It is likely that it would do so even if you edged your way along the gunwhale, not deliberately rocking it, hence the wet feet comment.

Erebus has been nicely re-fitted, but looking at the photos of the re-fit on the thread on here, I think the cabin height was designed for the raised floor needed due to the original shaft drive. If you were starting again (obviously prohibitively expensive) then now it has a hydraulic drive you could probably lower the floor height and the cabin height accordingly. Putting the floor lower down would reduce the roll as you move around in the boat - people moving is the main factor in change of weight distribution. Oates also has hydraulic drive and the floor is only 2" off the hull (no need for ballast) so it moves no more than if you were rolling over something in a bridge hole.

Alec

Always fancied a proper boat, lusted after Birmingham when she was for sale at Alvecote a year or two ago but scared of running costs compared to a modern boat.

Just seen on Alcor on the duck  Harland & Wolff 71 Traditional for sale UK, Harland & Wolff boats for sale, Harland & Wolff used boat sales, Harland & Wolff Narrow Boats For Sale 1935 GUCCCo 71ft Small Woolwich ALCOR - Apollo Duck

Time to dream again or is an old boat with a wooden bottom really a bigger hole to throw money in?

16 minutes ago, WhiteSuit said:

Always fancied a proper boat, lusted after Birmingham when she was for sale at Alvecote a year or two ago but scared of running costs compared to a modern boat.

Just seen on Alcor on the duck  Harland & Wolff 71 Traditional for sale UK, Harland & Wolff boats for sale, Harland & Wolff used boat sales, Harland & Wolff Narrow Boats For Sale 1935 GUCCCo 71ft Small Woolwich ALCOR - Apollo Duck

Time to dream again or is an old boat with a wooden bottom really a bigger hole to throw money in?

Looks a cracking boat to me at a sensible (but not cheap) price. 

But if you are worried about running costs, you have the right idea.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sparrowcycles said:

Might sell better with some decent photographs of the hull. That said, this suggests more than a bit of straightening is required!

s-l1600.jpg

• Horror 1

20 minutes ago, Derek R. said:

I was familiar with HERON back in '79. Looks like she still has plywood cabin. Nice lines, with a 'butty' stern. Had a JP2 in once upon a time - right aft.

Looks more like a crude steel cabin to me. And something to be cut off as one of the first jobs in the boat's restoration.

13 hours ago, David Mack said:

Might sell better with some decent photographs of the hull. That said, this suggests more than a bit of straightening is required!

s-l1600.jpg

Yes, those knees look a little bent :) reckon it might have a hard time getting through the Napton flight. 

'Starting' may have been stripping out the internals, at which point many see the task ahead as being far greater and more costly than at first anticipated. Cold hard facts then take over.

Or maybe some health diagnosis has intervened . . . let's hope not.

1 minute ago, roland elsdon said:

Looks like the bottom may be replaced, in the photos.

She would have been iron of course.

I remember her with the Jp at the back.

Lms station boats make lovely tugs.

One of the photos shows lines of rivets on the bottom so maybe still original?

Alec

1 hour ago, roland elsdon said:

Looks like the bottom may be replaced, in the photos.

She would have been iron of course.

I remember her with the Jp at the back.

Lms station boats make lovely tugs.

Yes chop it in half, fabricate a counter stern and put a nice Kelvin in and you'll get a lovely boat like Tebay.

Or two, even! 

I wonder how the RCR regs apply to such a project. Mebbe it would have to have to be a Beta 38.