Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

I suppose I shouldn't comment on this post but as the seller I have no idea what it is worth as it is a unique craft so I am starting with the insurance valuation. I am more concerned that it goes to a good home rather than ending up as a liveaboard in London so price is not critical. As far as the hull goes there is always the possibility of find a thin bit or bad rivet on a 90 year old boat but on the last survey all readings were 5-6mm bar one which was 4.4. As the hull and superstructure is all steel no water gets into the boat and any that would drains to a single point so internal corrosion is not a problem. After the last survey the boat was blasted, molten zinc sprayed and two packed by debdale; an expensive process but it really lasts.

I know the engine is strange but to turn the original propeller it would have needed a heavy engine to give the right torque characteristics but as the engine had already been located under the stern deck this would have led to too much rear draft. The 4litre 6 cylinder engine is indirect combustion, high torque and with a heavy flywheel ticks over slowly and has proved totally reliable over twenty years. If anyone wanted to sacrifice some of the accommodation I am sure  it would be great with something like a K2 in it.

• Greenie 3

On 25/08/2021 at 07:53, Derek R. said:

WHITE HEATHER at Cowley. Present at a Christmas 'do' possibly 1982. Seem to recall Jason Murrell was in charge.

It had some 'poke'.

Three boats on the right; 'JENNY' owned by John and Georgie Pattle, probably alongside ASH of Roger & Fran Wakeham. The third I'm thinking PIRATE PRINCESS?

358763722_WHITEHEATHERGeneral028.jpg.a0b6cbd61d4b23bc0a3e6534519d2a6d.jpg

If you mean the boat with the clear plastic on the front not pirate princess. That boat was a long term resident on the b class mooring.

one day he took me down to the small river behind the mooring. Hidden away he had a very small water powered turbine to charge his batteries. The rest of us had honda’s.  I think Creeping Jenny later became Brentford with the addition of a Josher bow.

I sent Jason a link to the thread and told him he can't afford it  😃  - he's too busy with his yacht repair business in Mallorca anyway though.

A couple of views of Jason and Mike Carter at the bottom of the Hanwell thick taking two joeys for a job on the river. Johnny Dakin is on the hopper behind.

Also coincidently we saw Silverlit at St Symphorien last week - Silverlit won the tug of war between the two at Brentford as I recall.

Tam

white heather.jpg

white heather2.jpg

IMG_1979 copy.jpeg

• Greenie 3

54 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

If you mean the boat with the clear plastic on the front not pirate princess. That boat was a long term resident on the b class mooring.

one day he took me down to the small river behind the mooring. Hidden away he had a very small water powered turbine to charge his batteries. The rest of us had honda’s.  I think Creeping Jenny later became Brentford with the addition of a Josher bow.

Correct about CREEPING JENNY. But no, I wasn't referring to the Springer on the left. There is another boat beyond JENNY and ASH which is tied to the bank and has its fore end almost touching WHITE HEATHER's stem post. It's black, with the letters of the name in red. It may be PIRATE PRINCESS, which from memory was a wide boat fitted out for disadvantages children.

1 hour ago, Tam & Di said:

I sent Jason a link to the thread and told him he can't afford it  😃  - he's too busy with his yacht repair business in Mallorca anyway though.

(Snipped)

Tam

Tam, what engine was in WHITE HEATHER back then? Someone has mentioned a Ford, the ad says Toyota. Was it forward of the wheelhouse, or aft under deck?

Ah I regret selling the Silverlit! I did think of buying back when I passed it ther a few years ago. Now that did have a Ford 6 cylinder that I dragged out of the Gannex Mac  Factory in the East End of London. The engines in the White Heather I believe were as follows. Originally fitted with a Robey 2 cylinder semidesel, changed by waterways to Lister FR3 both in the original location. Jason fitted the Ford under the rear deck and when I bought it was shot. Then fitted nice dorman LD3 crane engine (too heavy) and then the toyota which it still has.

• Greenie 1

51 minutes ago, Mike Adams said:

Ah I regret selling the Silverlit! I did think of buying back when I passed it ther a few years ago. Now that did have a Ford 6 cylinder that I dragged out of the Gannex Mac  Factory in the East End of London. The engines in the White Heather I believe were as follows. Originally fitted with a Robey 2 cylinder semidesel, changed by waterways to Lister FR3 both in the original location. Jason fitted the Ford under the rear deck and when I bought it was shot. Then fitted nice dorman LD3 crane engine (too heavy) and then the toyota which it still has.

- plus the Petter PD4.........

Nice hull shame about the cabin. 

I wonder if that hook on the front is original or someone added it as it looked good. 

Seems improbable it is original as it would tend to get caught on things. 

Edited by magnetman

The hook is quite possibly from its ice boat past, but as it appears to be fixed atop a comparatively new block of wood, likely to have been placed in a: "Where shall we put this" moment.

781969343_Iceboats1(Medium).jpg.266a70bd42cd2557c3b05b0c17d207f4.jpg

457719509_IceboatBlistsHill(Medium).JPG.a448a8793a894968600c82699add424f.JPG

Base of the mast is a most probable position. Obviously the cabin prevents that.

A lightweight cabin in wood on wooden frames would have made it less 'tender', but with any round bilged boat, there will be 'fun'.

• Greenie 1

Gosh, that brings back memories. We went to view ALCOR in 1979. I think Chris Pererrer [sp?] owned it. Asking price was £11,000.

It had wind up bus windows and no access to the front deck from the cabin. Still composite back then. Had a lovely back cabin.

Edited by Derek R.

Scott Pereira and his wife owned Alcor - his wife's name is Hilary, and their names "Scott and Hilary" on the cabin side goes along with Redshank & Greenshank owners Nick Gray and Corinna Brown's "Brown and Gray" by serendipity as the most memorable owner pairings.

Tam

Edited by Tam & Di
speeling

It's the end of an era...

Or alternatively the chance to start a new one.

Copied from a Facebook post...

This is to let people know that our beautiful 152 year old Pauline is for sale. It's time for her to have new owners that love her as much as we do. She is a 57’long, 14’ wide ‘Calder and Hebble' Keel, an iron British Barge built in 1869 in Goole, Yorkshire, for the Aire and Calder Navigation Company. She is on the national historic ships register. She fits the northern waterways and wide canals of great Britain.
She was bought by the Lorenz family in 1976 and converted into our home. The Lorenz family have lived aboard since 1989. Pauline’s diesel tank hold 100 gallons and is full. Engine make and model: “Parsons Pike”, based on ford 4D, Completely overhauled by Paul. She has a Vetus M205 6KW generator
a 600 gallon water tank and 50 gallon header tank. She comes as a fully equipped liveaboard. You can read about our family’s journey to Europe on Pauline in ’Snail’s Pace’ by Gabrielle Lorenz
PM me for details

For those of you not on Facebook, drop me a message and I'll PM you a phone number for those interested.

FB_IMG_1630522445016.jpg

FB_IMG_1630522437518.jpg

Edited by Liam

Re, Oates as listed above. Well our offer has been accepted so subject to anything untoward happening it will shortly be ours. To respond to a couple of the comments made. Firstly, it is a lot less tender than we had feared. It does move if people move around inside it, but not alarmingly and it doesn't wobble so much as reposition to where the weight is distributed. I suspect this is because most of the time when you are inside, your weight actually bears low down on the floor so doesn't induce much turning moment. It certainly leans less than a hireboat after a week with a full toilet tank in need of a pumpout!

Secondly on the hook, yes that is original and in the correct place, although the block has been renewed at some point (to the original design). Although just buying this one, I am not new to iceboats (just haven't been very visible for the past ~20yrs). I have photos of Oates pre-conversion which show the hook in exactly the same position. Some of the BCN boats had a T-stud but most had the hook on the bow and two pairs of the rings on posts on the sides. I suspect it was because you could get a more positive fix for multiple ropes on the ring than a stud.

Alec

• Greenie 3

3 hours ago, agg221 said:

Re, Oates as listed above. Well our offer has been accepted so subject to anything untoward happening it will shortly be ours. To respond to a couple of the comments made. Firstly, it is a lot less tender than we had feared. It does move if people move around inside it, but not alarmingly and it doesn't wobble so much as reposition to where the weight is distributed. I suspect this is because most of the time when you are inside, your weight actually bears low down on the floor so doesn't induce much turning moment. It certainly leans less than a hireboat after a week with a full toilet tank in need of a pumpout!

Secondly on the hook, yes that is original and in the correct place, although the block has been renewed at some point (to the original design). Although just buying this one, I am not new to iceboats (just haven't been very visible for the past ~20yrs). I have photos of Oates pre-conversion which show the hook in exactly the same position. Some of the BCN boats had a T-stud but most had the hook on the bow and two pairs of the rings on posts on the sides. I suspect it was because you could get a more positive fix for multiple ropes on the ring than a stud.

Alec

Congratulations on your imminent purchase. She is a lovely boat, she moored with us for a while at Langley Mill, if you need any help with the Kelvin, give us a shout, we have a Kelvin expert on site!

Best of luck!

Dan

18 minutes ago, stagedamager said:

Congratulations on your imminent purchase. She is a lovely boat, she moored with us for a while at Langley Mill, if you need any help with the Kelvin, give us a shout, we have a Kelvin expert on site!

Best of luck!

Dan

Thanks Dan, I take it she was up with you fairly recently, after the rebuild? The owner mentioned that he had been up the Erewash. Very useful to know that there is a Kelvin expert available - they are lovely engines but I have spent more time on the phone over the past couple of weeks satisfying myself that there is enough expertise and are enough parts squirrelled away in stashes around the country to keep it going if needed than on any other aspect of the purchase!

Alec

1 minute ago, agg221 said:

Thanks Dan, I take it she was up with you fairly recently, after the rebuild? The owner mentioned that he had been up the Erewash. Very useful to know that there is a Kelvin expert available - they are lovely engines but I have spent more time on the phone over the past couple of weeks satisfying myself that there is enough expertise and are enough parts squirrelled away in stashes around the country to keep it going if needed than on any other aspect of the purchase!

Alec

Give us a shout if you need anything, my brother has a few Kelvin spares, including a few J bits I think, and has worked on that engine. She moored with us once the cabin was completed until May this year.

11 hours ago, stagedamager said:

Give us a shout if you need anything, my brother has a few Kelvin spares, including a few J bits I think, and has worked on that engine. She moored with us once the cabin was completed until May this year.

Thanks Dan, I'll drop you a PM when I have made enough posts for that to be unlocked.

Alec

On 01/09/2021 at 19:53, Liam said:

It's the end of an era...

Or alternatively the chance to start a new one.

Copied from a Facebook post...

This is to let people know that our beautiful 152 year old Pauline is for sale. It's time for her to have new owners that love her as much as we do. She is a 57’long, 14’ wide ‘Calder and Hebble' Keel, an iron British Barge built in 1869 in Goole, Yorkshire, for the Aire and Calder Navigation Company. She is on the national historic ships register. She fits the northern waterways and wide canals of great Britain.
She was bought by the Lorenz family in 1976 and converted into our home. The Lorenz family have lived aboard since 1989. Pauline’s diesel tank hold 100 gallons and is full. Engine make and model: “Parsons Pike”, based on ford 4D, Completely overhauled by Paul. She has a Vetus M205 6KW generator
a 600 gallon water tank and 50 gallon header tank. She comes as a fully equipped liveaboard. You can read about our family’s journey to Europe on Pauline in ’Snail’s Pace’ by Gabrielle Lorenz
PM me for details

For those of you not on Facebook, drop me a message and I'll PM you a phone number for those interested.

FB_IMG_1630522445016.jpg

FB_IMG_1630522437518.jpg

Yes indeed,

Lovely boat.