Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

An acronym from Prudence Electric Light and Power Oil and Nautical Engines.  Based in Leeds I think.

There are a few about with  the stationary engine fraternity.  Most components seem to be made of unobtainium.

N

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Athy said:

I thought they were made in Derby, but I've been wrong before.

The  New Pelapone Engine company, moved to Derby in 1948 and changed its name, to Pelapone Engines according to Grace's Guide.

N

• Greenie 2

51 minutes ago, BEngo said:

An acronym from Prudence Electric Light and Power Oil and Nautical Engines.  Based in Leeds I think.

There are a few about with  the stationary engine fraternity.  Most components seem to be made of unobtainium.

N

At the moment the unobtainium list seems to include such mundane products as plywood and plaster. No chance for vintage engine bits 😞

Edited by BilgePump
couldn't spell unobtainium

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Tim Lewis said:

Thought it was quite well priced and if I could would have been strait in there. A really nice boat and right up my street not so keen on engine but it's still a really nice boat and good price

3 minutes ago, billybobbooth said:

Thought it was quite well priced and if I could would have been strait in there. A really nice boat and right up my street not so keen on engine but it's still a really nice boat and good price

Owned by a forum member.

Originally the engine would have been mounted in the centre of the boat. The current engine is under the stern deck to allow space for passenger accommodation in the main cabin.

Nice boat. Ford 6 in there I think it was (did not check advert)

I will always remember this boat blasting through decent ice in Cookham lock cut where I moored for the winter would have been 1995 or 1996. Owned by Nick at the time he was cutting the ice for his parents Dutch barge Spes. 

And doing a good job. 

Large prop on that boat. 

Not sure what it would be like on the ditches but on the River it was wonderful. 

The other one was Tyburn. Used to be at Uxbridge not sure where it is now. Another nice narrow tug. 

Edited by magnetman

"The other one was Tyburn. Used to be at Uxbridge not sure where it is now" 

Tyburn was the renamed Worcester and Birmingham Canal Tunnel Tug. 'Birmingham'. Built by Abdulla and Mitchell like 'Worcester'. It was Section 8ed many moons ago and was technically saved as part of the BW heritage fleet. When last seen a few years ago it was cabin less and mounted on a plinth at Tardebigge Yard.

1 hour ago, BuckbyLocks said:

"The other one was Tyburn. Used to be at Uxbridge not sure where it is now" 

Tyburn was the renamed Worcester and Birmingham Canal Tunnel Tug. 'Birmingham'. Built by Abdulla and Mitchell like 'Worcester'. It was Section 8ed many moons ago and was technically saved as part of the BW heritage fleet. When last seen a few years ago it was cabin less and mounted on a plinth at Tardebigge Yard.

P1040658.JPG.jpg.9c2215e8ea274eb32ee1b5cff0f105c7.jpg

From https://nbhuffler.blogspot.com/2015/05/tardebigge.html?m=1

On 23/08/2021 at 11:40, David Mack said:

That's where it is ! 

I was actually moored opposite it just other side of the shovel pub bridge at Cowley when it was towed away. 

I suppose it's one way of retaining and allowing people to see what is rather a nice bit of work. 

Could have been a lot worse ! 

3 minutes ago, magnetman said:

That's where it is ! 

I was actually moored opposite it just other side of the shovel pub bridge at Cowley when it was towed away. 

I suppose it's one way of retaining and allowing people to see what is rather a nice bit of work. 

Could have been a lot worse ! 

I hope that canopy is ventilated otherwise the hull will be quietly rotting away through condensation.

WHITE HEATHER at Cowley. Present at a Christmas 'do' possibly 1982. Seem to recall Jason Murrell was in charge.

It had some 'poke'.

Three boats on the right; 'JENNY' owned by John and Georgie Pattle, probably alongside ASH of Roger & Fran Wakeham. The third I'm thinking PIRATE PRINCESS?

358763722_WHITEHEATHERGeneral028.jpg.a0b6cbd61d4b23bc0a3e6534519d2a6d.jpg

Edited by Derek R.

6 hours ago, matty40s said:

White Heather.. today...purring along.

20210825_151837.jpg

Truly lovely boat. Was fortunate enough to see it a couple of years ago at Hebden Bridge, at the historic weekend so all were encouraged to gawp up close. If only I had the cash, if only my mooring was a few feet longer and and if only the canal here wasn't more shallow than your waist, that would be a boat I would keep until they took me out in a box. Some history, elegance and practical on most canals/rivers. Whoever buys it should count themselves lucky to own such a boat, and they will hopefully give it the enthusiasm and maintenance that the current owner has done over the years.

£30k seems a lot but it is a very nice boat. 

Toyota land cruiser engine is rather infra dig I wonder if there is a way to describe it slightly more traditionally. 

I really thought it had a ford cargo engine in it. Maybe that was a more traditional description than a land cruiser engine. 

I reckon it has been repowered in the last 25 years. 

It really moved well with the 6 pot ford engine which was almost certainly less powerful than the jap unit. 

Edited by magnetman

2 hours ago, magnetman said:

£30k seems a lot but it is a very nice boat. 

Toyota land cruiser engine is rather infra dig I wonder if there is a way to describe it slightly more traditionally. 

I really thought it had a ford cargo engine in it. Maybe that was a more traditional description than a land cruiser engine. 

I reckon it has been repowered in the last 25 years. 

It really moved well with the 6 pot ford engine which was almost certainly less powerful than the jap unit. 

30k seems cheap to me, it’s a boat I’ve seen a few times, and I’d love it.

• Greenie 3

18 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

30k seems cheap to me, i

Considering the prices currently being achieved by boats which are little more than floating scrapheaps, yes.

.....unless of course it has some defect which we don't know about, such as very thin bits of hull.