Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Muddy Waters said:

(snipped)

The only thing that I can see that it has in common with a large Northwich is that it is built in steel and floats; are there any other points that I might have missed?

One persons dream, another's nightmare. Over-engined, (though nice) it belongs in a lorry. It's the suburban dwellers floating home extension to the suburban home. So much off-setting. It's all over the top - in the wrong direction. But that's from a traditionalists point of view. Someone will love it for a while, then move it on. "Yes, we had a traditional style boat once, it was based upon a Northwich . . ."

That base plate design at the fore end is awful. Just as well it's underwater. Back end is better.

14 hours ago, magnetman said:

That passed me up near Henley the other day. I thought it was very displeasing to look at. That step in the side deck really doesn't do it any aesthetic favours !! 

It just looks "wrong" to me anyway. 

4L2 is nice but a bit big even for a heavy NB. 

Certainly a very odd looking boat - I guess someone loves it?

6 hours ago, frangar said:

What’s the point of the offset cabin? It just looks like they ran out of steel! 

We think it might have been to give the headroom for the bedroom cabin ?

There are some elements of that boat that are really rather lovely but sorry - not my cup of tea 

17 minutes ago, IanM said:

It’s a replica, but a very good one.

I suppose the obvious question is why? It is a nice design for a tug but that stern deck does not really provide a safe or comfortable area for carrying passengers . . .

3 minutes ago, NB Alnwick said:

I suppose the obvious question is why? It is a nice design for a tug but that stern deck does not really provide a safe or comfortable area for carrying passengers . . .

Perhaps they sacrificed comfort in favour of authenticity.

I've heard that some people have a boat 70 feet or so long, but live in only about ten feet of it. Surely this can't be true?

27 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Gloucester is being advertised on Apollo Duck, https://www.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/branson-45-cruiser-stern-for-sale/662217

In my eyes it's a beautiful boat and my guess is that the asking price is less than half it's cost to construct. If you haven't already, it's worth watching the video (link on advert)

18 minutes ago, Athy said:

Perhaps they sacrificed comfort in favour of authenticity.

I've heard that some people have a boat 70 feet or so long, but live in only about ten feet of it. Surely this can't be true?

This I can understand if the object of the exercise is to preserve a historical asset such as a old working boat but if building a new boat one might look at ways of provided less cramped accommodation. Admitted, some of us give up quite a lot of accommodation in order to display our motive power but then some of us are rather eccentric . . .

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, NB Alnwick said:

This I can understand if the object of the exercise is to preserve a historical asset such as a old working boat but if building a new boat one might look at ways of provided less cramped accommodation. Admitted, some of us give up quite a lot of accommodation in order to display our motive power but then some of us are rather eccentric . . .

Life would be more boring without eccentrics.

I think that occasional replicas of working boats, complete with open holds, have been built in fairly recent times.

1 hour ago, John Brightley said:

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/fellows-morton-clayton-for-sale/665246

"73ft FMC Josha with bags of history. believed to be the Butty Spain. Recently (2019/20) had new steel hull."

Really ? 

73ft Fellows Morton Clayton Conversion

I wonder why they put the old top on a new hull?

15 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I wonder why they put the old top on a new hull?

I guess they really mean "new steel bottom". But it does beg the question how much of the original boat survives. 

Edit: I thought I'd seen it somewhere before - it features in this post: https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/topic/54625-historic-boats-for-sale-online/&do=findComment&comment=1943124

And this: https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/topic/17374-bridgewater-heritage-boat-co/

Edited by John Brightley

15 hours ago, matty40s said:

Heres a lovely one, Good luck Mark.

Aber

https://www.abnb.co.uk/boat?BoatID=3735

Yes indeed, it is a lovely conversion and it is great to see a historic boat that has been converted in a sympathetic way making it a very practical boat to use. A boat that has been much loved