Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

I remember Fir from the 80s.

She had a SL2 under the back deck.

The conversion to hire boat was done by the son of Wyvern Shipping.  He removed the elm bottom (if you look at the historical photo in the advert you'll see the kelson) 

He also took 15ft out of the middle, and the work was done at Braunstone.

She had her original massive rudder and was so good in reverse could be steered backwards around the island in Brownings Pool repeatedly.

The advert says she was originally a tug ...... really?

Referring back to the photos of her working clearly show her to be a carrying boat.

Nice looking boat, shame she's been made to look like any old working boat when the Counter - Engine Hole - Living Cabin original layout was so distinctively original.  Far too much money IMO.

Edited by zenataomm
Got me fats and fars muxed ip
  • Greenie 1

• 1 month later...

You certainly pay VAT on a boat bought from a professional builder - if it is sufficiently large to come within the definition of "Qualifying Ship" you are paying at the Zero Rate so the effect is you pay nothing, but in tax terms it is still VAT Paid. If you bought a second-hand boat through a broker you would pay VAT on his fees, not the vessel itself.

"Tax Exempt" has a different meaning in tax law. It is an item where 'tax does not apply' and I'm not sure how a boat sale comes under that unless it is a private sale.

Tam

Edited by Tam & Di

23 minutes ago, Tam & Di said:

You certainly pay VAT on a boat bought from a professional builder - if it is sufficiently large to come within the definition of "Qualifying Ship" you are paying at the Zero Rate so the effect is you pay nothing, but in tax terms it is still VAT Paid. If you bought a second-hand boat through a broker you would pay VAT on his fees, not the vessel itself.

"Tax Exempt" has a different meaning in tax law. It is an item where 'tax does not apply' and I'm not sure how a boat sale comes under that unless it is a private sale.

Tam

Would it be the same if you bought an exhire boat from a VAT registered hire company. I take it they would have bought it VAT free bit the vat would need paying when its sold on. I think the same thing happens with second hand vans

8 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Would it be the same if you bought an exhire boat from a VAT registered hire company. I take it they would have bought it VAT free bit the vat would need paying when its sold on. I think the same thing happens with second hand vans

The original buyer would have paid vat but being a registered company would claim this back. When sold there would be vat to charge. 

• Happy 1

43 minutes ago, Tam & Di said:

Tam

As above.

Full rate

Lower rate

Zero rate

VAT exempt

Outside the scope

On 14/06/2020 at 19:41, pete harrison said:

VELA was built as a 71'6'' unpowered small Woolwich butty, i.e. it was designed to be towed behind a powered boat or motor. Once out of trade VELA was cut in two, with each end rebuilt into pleasure boats - the original fore end being used as a fore end and the original stern also used as a fore end, and both fitted with conventional counter sterns. The boat you have bought is the original stern being used as a fore end.

Do you know much about these old working boats :captain:

edit - the photographs on Ebay when VELA was for sale a few weeks ago showed it having a welded conventional counter stern rather than a 'flat traditional stern'. I am sure there is some confusion in the terms you / we are using - and congratulations on your acquisition. 

A late response as completely lost this thread. We have been working and trying to refit the boat at the same time - weather permitting!  I am sure you are quite correct about the stern.  My knowledge is growing and we are trying to make sure we use the correct terms.  It has been really interesting learning about Vela and am gradually saving the information separately.  Love having a boat with history!

Thank you!

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Tim Lewis said:

Ara and Archimedes have been put up for sale via a Facebook post

Which one of the three is the genuine ad

On 14/06/2020 at 19:38, stagedamager said:

Hi Sara. 

Yep, you have the stern end, so your bow is the original butty stern going backwards. The other half still exists as a motor, with the original bow. There are numerous photos of her working, probably the best well known is in the bottom lock of the Derby Canal when it had been closed to traffic.

Good luck with your project

Kind regards

Dan

Thanks Dan I will look out for those.

On 14/06/2020 at 20:02, furnessvale said:

Good luck with the hunting. I have researched my own boat, Badger, and you will fill many hours finding cargoes, who steered her and when, even the wages of the skipper if you are lucky.  Ellesmere Port museum has loads of info, but getting through the maze of it is something else!

Sorry - very late reply but I lost this thread.

Thank you for that information.  I have made a note and will definitely look this up!  Looks like a cruise up that way is in order when we are closer to having a habitable boat. ?

Because Deimos and Vela were a pair used by Trainees during the war there are several mentions of the pair in both film and newspaper reports. The American journalist, Elsie Danenberg travelled on the pair and this was illustrated in the Birmingham Mail, Saturday May 27th 1944. There is also a video, entitled 3 Girls in a Boat from the Imperial War Museum, (although it may be hiding on You Tube by now.

10 minutes ago, BuckbyLocks said:

Because Deimos and Vela were a pair used by Trainees during the war there are several mentions of the pair in both film and newspaper reports. The American journalist, Elsie Danenberg travelled on the pair and this was illustrated in the Birmingham Mail, Saturday May 27th 1944. There is also a video, entitled 3 Girls in a Boat from the Imperial War Museum, (although it may be hiding on You Tube by now.

It's on BFI player. I own what's left of Deimos, better known these days as push tug "Slough" and still working for her living.

Just now, magnetman said:

I didn't realise there was only one Josher running a pup. 

Nice boat. One for Mr Pinnock? 

Or does he have enough boats already. 

It's the only one in the water, Clent has a pup but it's not finished yet

On 04/03/2021 at 12:53, Tim Lewis said:

Original knees eh? So are mine and if I were to be sold that would knock a few thousand off. Presumably they mean they have that kink for the bottom plank. Nice boat though.

25 minutes ago, Bee said:

Original knees eh? So are mine and if I were to be sold that would knock a few thousand off. Presumably they mean they have that kink for the bottom plank. Nice boat though.

I like the ones that had the wooden plank and bottoms on, I've only seen 1 with the wooden plank still on