Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

• 1 month later...
25 minutes ago, Paul H said:

Cut down Severner “Fir”

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/narrow-boats-traditional-for-sale/655585

Price seems a tad optimistic!

Might be a genuine 1930s build, but being fully welded, doesn't look it. Does that reduce any 'historic' premium?

No photos of engine or engine room, and only one of the bathroom (which has a shower but apparently no toilet), so you can't see how it relates to the rest of the boat. Recently painted but very bland exterior. 

That said, it does look well cared for and nicely turned out. But £125k?? I would have thought you would struggle to get much more than half that.

• Greenie 1

Newly painted with Craftsmaster paint...

Struggling to work out which one is the latest photo....maybe the single colour all over??

If so, not particularly well turned out at all to be honest, very basic and not reflecting any history.

I think this one was the old paint job.

Screenshot_20210118-150333_Chrome.jpg

I went to see Fir in 1995 but it was too much money - £40K iirc.  It had a very interesting  set up with the engine offset to one side of the engine room using a carden shaft running under the bed hole and table cupboard to the prop.  This meant that it was much easier to walk through the engine room and you had full headroom in the back cabin.  I’m not sure if this is a unique installation or what power losses there might be but it seemed pretty neat to me.

7 minutes ago, Paul H said:

I went to see Fir in 1995 but it was too much money - £40K iirc.  It had a very interesting  set up with the engine offset to one side of the engine room using a carden shaft running under the bed hole and table cupboard to the prop.  This meant that it was much easier to walk through the engine room and you had full headroom in the back cabin.  I’m not sure if this is a unique installation or what power losses there might be but it seemed pretty neat to me.

No several builders have done that in the past including Colecraft, although I believe they used Hardy Spicers. The setup worked well, but it tended to rumble a bit, maybe Cardens operate more smoothly. I believe that hydraulic power for off set engines is the preferred option these days

56 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Might be a genuine 1930s build, but being fully welded, doesn't look it. Does that reduce any 'historic' premium?

No photos of engine or engine room, and only one of the bathroom (which has a shower but apparently no toilet), so you can't see how it relates to the rest of the boat. Recently painted but very bland exterior. 

That said, it does look well cared for and nicely turned out. But £125k?? I would have thought you would struggle to get much more than half that.

Severners were fully welded, the bow looks right, no pice of the sturn so unable to tell if they cut the middle or the sturn, can tell its old as the plates are all bent between the knees. traditionaly they had the cabins the otherwise round had engine at back and beds / cabin in front.

Seam a tad high priced although I remember a josher (beginning with s) with full conversion being for sale at over 100k think was 120k. And Chiswick a few years ago was at 80+k when advertised

Edited by billybobbooth

2 hours ago, billybobbooth said:

Severners were fully welded, the bow looks right, no pice of the sturn so unable to tell if they cut the middle or the sturn, can tell its old as the plates are all bent between the knees. traditionaly they had the cabins the otherwise round had engine at back and beds / cabin in front.

Seam a tad high priced although I remember a josher (beginning with s) with full conversion being for sale at over 100k think was 120k. And Chiswick a few years ago was at 80+k when advertised

The ad says

"1963 she was sold again to Wyvern Shipping and was cut down to 55ft (two boats would often be cut down to make a third). Fir was restored by Duncan Knapp boat fitter at Cowroast Marina and sold to us in 1995"

I'm familiar with butties being cut in half to make two pleasure boats, but I've never come across reference to making 3 boats from 2.

Being built as a motor and already having a motor stern, it is perhaps more likely Fir had a few feet chopped out of the middle, and retained it's original stern.

It's not clear if the 1990s 'restoration' involved the construction of the current cabin and tug deck or if it also included a new stern.

26 minutes ago, BWM said:

Were they really built with 8mm sides and 6mm baseplate of iron? 

There is no way i would consider an iron boat that had been overplated with steel for even half that price!

Overplating any boat is not good, but a competent welder can let steel plates into an iron hull, and replace a wood bottom with steel, welded to the iron sides.

4 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

Overplating any boat is not good, but a competent welder can let steel plates into an iron hull, and replace a wood bottom with steel, welded to the iron sides.

The advert specifically said overplating to the sides, re plating would be the standard i would want.

• Greenie 1