Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

14 hours ago, noddyboater said:

Do you know who built Firefly, with the Kromhout semi diesel?

That certainly looks like it's a loose replica of Pacific. 

No but it came past here on the Basingstoke Canal a week ago and I expect it to come back soon. I think he said it was about 20 years old. I will ask him if I see him,

14 hours ago, noddyboater said:

Do you know who built Firefly, with the Kromhout semi diesel?

That certainly looks like it's a loose replica of Pacific. 

It probably helped that Roger owned Pacific before John Pattle and had done much of the hull restoration work.  The hull design of Batavia is entirely down to Roger, whilst we must shoulder the blame for the cabin!

Chris G

28 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

We had a serious look at Batavia as we now struggle on shallow canals.

Gorgeous boat but not quite enough to forsake our current liability for!!

I suspect pacific is deep too.

John  and Georgie will wax lyrical about Pacific's ability to not get badly stuck despite its draught.  It is apparently much better than Brentford in that regard.

The reason, according to John, is that although the boat is deep it is round bilged, so it simply stops and slides sideways  off most things.

You have to like steering whilst standing practically atop an HA3 though.

N

23 minutes ago, BEngo said:

You have to like steering whilst standing practically atop an HA3 though.

N

Yes, I suspect that might be a deal breaker for me - however, the rest of it.....................???

(Ear plugs are cheap though!!!)

A few years ago I was fortunate to be asked by John Pattle to bring Pacific back down south after the Braunston Show.  I loved every minute of the trip.  There are two things you have to get used to: the very noisy HA3 and the very lively steering.  I'm used to ex working boats that mainly stay put; the moment you let go of Pacific's tiller the boat leaps all over the place.

The fit out is full of clever ideas, some of which I've pinched for my own boat.

DSCF0004.JPG.691e33f50dda2f1f5b0f373bf8d133af.JPG

• Greenie 1

We decided against Batavia because no stern cabin, and the vaguely esoteric and rare engine.

All our boats have had H series listers comfortable with them, and I know a man who can fix what I cant!

Could not envisage selling yet just need to buy a cable winch after this years Stratford shenanigans. Cheaper than 2 boats ...

2 hours ago, koukouvagia said:

(snipped). . .  There are two things you have to get used to: the very noisy HA3 and the very lively steering.  I'm used to ex working boats that mainly stay put; the moment you let go of Pacific's tiller the boat leaps all over the place.

TYCHO was the same. Loved it to bits, but leave the tiller to check on oil pressure and she was off across the fields. Two people on the gunnels and the tumblehome would go past vertical - in the wrong direction!! Rounded bilges for you. YARMOUTH at 62ft was rock steady.

John put a LOT of work into PACIFIC. One of a unique pair (BITTEL is the other).

8 minutes ago, Mike Adams said:

Noticed this on Apollo duck

40Ft Vintage Narrow Boat     
£4,000

UK Narrow Boats > Traditional For Sale
Called Capella could it be part of the butty GUCC small Woolwich  Capella? If it a historic boat then it is very cheap? Hnboc site shows Capella as full length.

I think it just shares the name

Canalplan boat listing shows 9 boats named Capella, plus 3 close variants.

The one in the ad doesn't have the right shaped bow for a Woolwich, and doesn't look to be riveted.

But if that is a Thornycroft RJ2 in it, it's an interesting historic engine in it's own right.

https://m.facebook.com/vintagediesels/videos/1097886146930672/

5 hours ago, Mike Adams said:

Noticed this on Apollo duck

40Ft Vintage Narrow Boat     
£4,000

UK Narrow Boats > Traditional For Sale
Called Capella could it be part of the butty GUCC small Woolwich  Capella? If it a historic boat then it is very cheap? Hnboc site shows Capella as full length.

"P/X for a Harley Davidson". 

I wonder if it's on a section 8 and the seller is looking for a swift and comfortable getaway before CRT contractors take it. 

Bows don't look anything like a GU boat to me and I think Capella is one of the butties with a hydraulic drive in the elum. BMC 1.8 ?. 

Could be interesting. Slightly odd that the images are screenshots rather than photos. 

ETA it was a bit awkward to find via the AD link maybe this one works better

https://apolloduck.net/642096

Looks like a generic 1960s/70s wooden top narrow boat. 

Could be a colander. 

"this is not a small project. this boat has not had a hull test I have no history for this boat and can not answer any of your questions and what you see is what you get..."

--- 

I'm like "has it got a full tank of diesel?"

Edited by magnetman

19 minutes ago, allybsc said:

I am on this forum you know...best just ask me if your talking about my business.

....... and how is anyone to know that?

You show your boat name as "boatless at present"

Nobody is talking about your business, does anybody know what your business is?  I don't.

Anyhoo, nobody was talking about you, they were interested in the boat and the subject matter is "Historic Boats".  Not "Self important crabby owners of boats"

On that theme, I think Birmingham is a stunning looking boat. 

Congratulations on your acquisition.

If I see you out and about on the cut I shall ignore you.

....... you know!

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, zenataomm said:

....... and how is anyone to know that?

You show your boat name as "boatless at present"

Nobody is talking about your business, does anybody know what your business is?  I don't.

Anyhoo, nobody was talking about you, they were interested in the boat and the subject matter is "Historic Boats".  Not "Self important crabby owners of boats"

On that theme, I think Birmingham is a stunning looking boat. 

Congratulations on your acquisition.

If I see you out and about on the cut I shall ignore you.

....... you know!

I only changed my name to boatless at present after I posted that message and there is a picture of me on Birmingham as my avatar. I haven't bought it I've sold it after owning it since 2012.

3 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

I may be crabby but I'm only selling because my husband died, I didn't want to sell it but it made no sense to keep it. Feel free to ignore me as is your right.

• Sad 1