Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, junior said:

Is Ascot up for sale then? I can't work out how we've got onto the subject of Ascot.

4 hours ago, max's son said:

http://www.lock13.co.uk/#ascot says paired with  Beverley operated by

Gary Slater, Grand Union Canal - regular runs from Cosgrove through Milton Keynes into Leighton Buzzard

where did the for sale start in this topic

Post # 8149 this thread.

I owned Ascot from 1980 to 83 and undertook said work. I had the AS2 was top end overhauled and was a super engine. Fitted ascot with full new running gear and cloths following deconvertion and reskinned the back cabin after the Diamond range went out of control one night and the heat from the stove pipe burnt thro the cabin side. This was internally hidden by a large sheet of brass. The GU gear change wheel was changed to solid brass too. The utter plates were very thin but left at the time. The counter was very badly dented .. told by boatmen that this occurred when Ascot was a trainee boat .. however the dents were partly removed but needed a replacing really, but lack of cash prevented it at that time. Ascot towed butty Beverley back to Braunston in 1980 after Beverley had been salvaged from the River Trent being used as a mooring pontoon. She was very poorly with no equipment or cabin.

I was told by Mark the then owner of Beverley that he had put a 4mm wrap around overplating on it. Gary bought the boats from Mark. 

Must say I assumed the back cabin was original because of the feel and the coins. Thank you for correcting me if I stated this as fact earlier in the thread. 

My claim to fame with Ascot is that I reunited her with one of her old windlasses which Gary inadvertently flipped in the winding hole near the new Bradwell aqueduct. An hour with my magnet and it was in my hands shortly after which it was back on Ascot. It was a silvered large cast iron GU lock key so not particularly old or useable but part of the boat's hardware. 

Edited by magnetman

On 22/09/2020 at 07:46, Tim W said:

I owned Ascot from 1980 to 83 and undertook said work. I had the AS2 was top end overhauled and was a super engine. Fitted ascot with full new running gear and cloths following deconvertion and reskinned the back cabin after the Diamond range went out of control one night and the heat from the stove pipe burnt thro the cabin side. This was internally hidden by a large sheet of brass. The GU gear change wheel was changed to solid brass too. The utter plates were very thin but left at the time. The counter was very badly dented .. told by boatmen that this occurred when Ascot was a trainee boat .. however the dents were partly removed but needed a replacing really, but lack of cash prevented it at that time. Ascot towed butty Beverley back to Braunston in 1980 after Beverley had been salvaged from the River Trent being used as a mooring pontoon. She was very poorly with no equipment or cabin.

Out of interest, where did you get the brass gear change wheel? There is one fitted to Hawkesbury but i have no idea where it came from.

Thx for that .. it's actually Big Woolwich pair motor Darley and butty Alperton. Nice jig saw tho .. will have to look out for it. Cheers

I bought the brass gear change wheel which had been cast from an original iron one from the Chandler at bottom lock Braunston .. for £40 but that was in 1980! It was a bugger getting the original iron one off the shafting but managed it eventually. As you probably know, Hawkesbury was part of the Union Canal Carriers fleet back in the day and based at Brauston so may have benefitted from a similar purchase assuming they cast more than one.

• Greenie 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Richard T said:

Has Birmingham finally been sold? It has been moved to Paul Barbers yard at Sheet Stores basin Long Eaton.

Ooh I wonder if it has... 

4 hours ago, Foggy66 said:

I hear from a reliable source that Birmingham has sold and has gone to sheet stores for some metalwork

repairs.

How reliable... 

49 minutes ago, noddyboater said:

It's conventional for a working BCN tug. 

Several builders of modern "tug style" shells should spend a while studying it! 

Roger Farrington did.  Result was Batavia quondam boat of parishioner Batavia I recall

N

Edited by BEngo