Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Darrenroberts said:

It’s crazzy how Boats deteriorate that badly in a relatively short space of time 

Late 80s is over 30 years ago. Back then Ely was less than 30 years old, it is now twice that age. Wooden boats weren't even expected to last more than 30 years. Ely may be a bit down at heel, but is still a 'blank canvas' for someone to take forward.

1 minute ago, David Mack said:

Late 80s is over 30 years ago. Back then Ely was less than 30 years old, it is now twice that age. Wooden boats weren't even expected to last more than 30 years. Ely may be a bit down at heel, but is still a 'blank canvas' for someone to take forward.

I mean, I’ve seen a few well turned boats in images from the 80s/90s that are in stark contrast to how they are at present. I know 30 years is a significant amount of time but you would have thought at least some one at some point during that time might of had a quick whip round with a paint brush ?

• Greenie 1

On 01/09/2020 at 18:44, Darrenroberts said:

It’s crazzy how Boats deteriorate that badly in a relatively short space of time 

The boats behind are our old boats. Terry was making our new side cloths and top cloths which are still on Atalanta. The headlight on her ( you can just see it) was a gas powered bullfinch which we used to light before going through Braunston or Blisworth. In those days our moorings were at Stowe Hill.

I’ve been meaning to ask this for months, but as we’re moored at Nether Heyford tonight I was reminded.  The boats (I can’t remember their names) that had their own mooring here, by the house, that were looking more and more neglected are no longer here.  Anyone who what’s happened to them?  I’m sure Alan mentioned a few hundred pages back that the owner had always declined to sell them.  

1 minute ago, adam1uk said:

I’ve been meaning to ask this for months, but as we’re moored at Nether Heyford tonight I was reminded.  The boats (I can’t remember their names) that had their own mooring here, by the house, that were looking more and more neglected are no longer here.  Anyone who what’s happened to them?  I’m sure Alan mentioned a few hundred pages back that the owner had always declined to sell them.  

Gone to that London! But for once not to be a liveaboard....they are being restored and added to an already existing operators fleet of rather well turned out boats....

• Happy 1

39 minutes ago, frangar said:

Gone to that London! But for once not to be a liveaboard....they are being restored and added to an already existing operators fleet of rather well turned out boats....

Not sure when, but the previous owner passed away recently.

The boats are Edgware & Balham.

Edited by Ray T

16 minutes ago, matty40s said:

The Pinnocks have added them to their fleet.

That's great! 

Michael's Josher  EMU is a seriously well kept boat. 

I'll look forward to seeing the GU boats. 

Excellent news.  

Edited by magnetman

12 hours ago, Ray T said:

Not sure when, but the previous owner passed away recently.

The boats are Edgware & Balham.

This is worth a read - especially Alan's obituary - you never really know anyone's background until you learn about it and sadly, despite having talked to him regularly, I had no idea of his immense skills and commitment to his community.

Edited by Leo No2
  • Greenie 3

1 minute ago, Leo No2 said:

This is worth a read - especially Alan's obituary - you never really know anyone's background until you learn about it and sadly, despite having talked to him regularly, I no idea of his skills and commitment to his community.

I work very closely with unusual rigging as they rigged all the shows I worked on, War Horse, Phantom and Les Mis. He built an excellent company who are industry leaders in what they do. His loss sent shockwaves through the industry and it was inevitably too late to sit and have a pint with him and discuss all things boaty and theatre. A sad loss.

12 hours ago, magnetman said:

That's great! 

Michael's Josher  EMU is a seriously well kept boat. 

I'll look forward to seeing the GU boats. 

Excellent news.  

The exciting thing about these boats being acquired by Michael is that he will look to preserve the originality of these boats, even though derelict they retain much more than many unsympathetic rebuilds often do.

• Greenie 1

Exactly. That is why I am so pleased about it. 

I have already given Michael the FMC boathook I found with the magnet and will also be giving him some other things which will help with the GU boats. 

It's really good when you get people who do things properly. 

• Greenie 1

9 hours ago, stagedamager said:

I work very closely with unusual rigging as they rigged all the shows I worked on, War Horse, Phantom and Les Mis. He built an excellent company who are industry leaders in what they do. His loss sent shockwaves through the industry and it was inevitably too late to sit and have a pint with him and discuss all things boaty and theatre. A sad loss.

It's just clicked that the massive unit behind the wharf at  Bugbrooke, which always looked very interesting, )but I didnt know what they did other than stages), was his business.

Very interesting character, a shame he never got round to doing anything with the pair.....obviously being too busy doing interesting and Unusual things.

Edited by matty40s
  • Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, matty40s said:

It's just clicked that the massive unit behind the wharf at  Bugbrooke, which always looked very interesting, )but I didnt know what they did other than stages), was his business.

Very interesting character, a shame he never got round to doing anything with the pair.....obviously being too busy doing interesting and Unusual things.

I knew the business (having been in the entertainment industry for my whole working life) but didn't know he owned the boats, 

Funny how your recreation interests rarely get mentioned in your working life.

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

I knew the business (having been in the entertainment industry for my whole working life) but didn't know he owned the boats, 

Funny how your recreation interests rarely get mentioned in your working life.

You and me both...only after reading that did the link seem obvious! Funny when your worlds suddenly collide! 

• Greenie 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ascot had a new bottom from engine room forward in 1981, new decks and cants too. However that was 40 years ago and she's now nearly 80 years old anyway. The back cabin is not original, rebuilt in 1970s by Malcom Braine I think when she was fully converted. Ascot was deconverted in 1981. Not sure who bought ascot from BW Wendover sales in 1968 but think it was Foxton Boat Services. The pennies in the back cabin step were installed by me in 1981.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Tim W said:

Ascot had a new bottom from engine room forward in 1981, new decks and cants too. However that was 40 years ago and she's now nearly 80 years old anyway. The back cabin is not original, rebuilt in 1970s by Malcom Braine I think when she was fully converted. Ascot was deconverted in 1981. Not sure who bought ascot from BW Wendover sales in 1968 but think it was Foxton Boat Services. The pennies in the back cabin step were installed by me in 1981.

I may have come into this thread haphazardly, I haven't seen Ascot up for sale.

Has she still got the AS2?

When did you have her?

1 hour ago, zenataomm said:

I may have come into this thread haphazardly, I haven't seen Ascot up for sale.

Has she still got the AS2?

When did you have her?

Isn't ascot the fuel boat that looks rather sorry for itself?