Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

9 hours ago, frangar said:

Gone to her new home in Walsall...she went past the other day. We are popping in to see Jim tomorrow..did seem odd to see the boat without him.....

Give him our regards - Derek & Louise off YARMOUTH.

16 hours ago, koukouvagia said:

As a former owner of Owl I'd be very interested to know more about this. 

Seams odd for the money spent to them wanna sell on in a very short time, I know she's well looked after by you!

7 minutes ago, billybobbooth said:

So has it got a new bow was well or is the bow the old back end?

Looks like new steel bow, then composite then new steel stern. Super unusual in middle no shuts. If you had a leak you would know very fast, by the water feature.

love the prop shaft running straight down the rear cabin

She has character.

15 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Looks like new steel bow, then composite then new steel stern. Super unusual in middle no shuts. If you had a leak you would know very fast, by the water feature.

love the prop shaft running straight down the rear cabin

She has character.

Yer I couldnt work it out as there was no mention of the bow!

Yes I'm a bit confused why take up the kelson and add 2 mini ones, makes bottom maintenance easy!

53 minutes ago, David Mack said:

This is the front end of the original Ariel. The original back end belongs to sometime forum members Liam and Kerry, trading as Midland and Coast Canal Carriers.

https://www.midlandsandcoast.co.uk

But seemingly not the original bow so maybe just 15-20’ of the original hull sides?

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

That's interesting. Maybe I can get 5ft of my boat back if I shake my piggy bank hard enough!!

The original Midlands & Coast motor Ariel was chopped in half, if I remember rightly, at some point in the early 60's.

The original bow half went onto the Weaver and eventually sunk. The original back half was based on the Trent & Mersey, and was eventually placed on the bank where it was purchased by Ed Mortimer.

I was told that the front end of the back half was beyond saving and was removed during the rebuild into "my" Ariel, but then found out shortly afterwards that it was cut out to form another boat?

One of the numerous times the boat sunk, being raised with the assistance of Hercules. Photo by Jim Taylor.

FB_IMG_1595969352166.jpg.afc330f831eb414ab0ea97d305e9aa31.jpg

Ariel out of the water in 2010 at Hesfords. This is my bit, the original back end.

FB_IMG_1595969323012.jpg

Ariel back working, seen here with a consignment of steam coal for the Lymm Historic Transport Rally.

FB_IMG_1595969501988.jpg

Edited by Liam

A good friend of mine bought the back end of Ariel  from Ed Mortimer when he was at Macclesfield and that was the point the boat was cut just ahead of the engine room - the straight  bit of sides ahead of there, which was more like 15' from memory and the pointy end (applied by BWB at Northwich IIRC) Jona decided weren't worth having as the top of the hull had previously been cut down to the top guard and needed refooting.

The back end went to WFBCo for the attention of Mr Priest, but Jona didn't go ahead with it and eventually sold it back to Ed who had Graham Pearson rebuild as it is basically is today.

As for the "middle bit" Ed decided to put a motor back end on it - which was built by Mike Heywood, not WFBCo as the advert implies - with the intenton of using it as a workboat, and called it Belgium. The next owner decided to rename it Ariel.

Edited by Rose Narrowboats
  • Greenie 2