Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

11 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

I saw this a few days ago. It’s a superb boat. But I doubt I’d be tempted to buy it even if a zero was knocked off the end of the price and I hadn’t already got one.

JP

I agree - the price was a shock but you must remember its selling a lifestyle!

Not original enough inside to attract an enthusiast and a lot of maintenance to concern a floater so it will be interesting to watch it

I remember them when they were built and always loved them and I would buy a good (this style but GRP hull) one now if I saw it - was it Nike III that was the famous one (owned by John Gagg) I cant quite remember

On 04/07/2020 at 15:23, roland elsdon said:

Keep up at the back. Much musical boats during lockdown...

So why did they buy Dory and not Ibex I wonder - IMHO Manchuria was a loverly boat 

Edited by Halsey

Been looking on and off over the last couple of years at the market and keeping an eye on what's for sale, but the budget has not matched my desires! Were having another look now a bit more seriously. Budget means we are looking at the bottom end of the market still.

Boat needs to be historic, or at least very 'interesting'. Must have some creature comforts or space to add them, so no unconverted full length motor's sadly, which rules out Trent no.5 and Birmingham. Something with a cabin extension would be ideal, or a BCN tug type of thing. 

I've scoured the duck and have kept up to date with this thread, but I'm well aware these things often go by word of mouth.

If anyone can think of anything let me know Please.

3 minutes ago, junior said:

Been looking on and off over the last couple of years at the market and keeping an eye on what's for sale, but the budget has not matched my desires! Were having another look now a bit more seriously. Budget means we are looking at the bottom end of the market still.

Boat needs to be historic, or at least very 'interesting'. Must have some creature comforts or space to add them, so no unconverted full length motor's sadly, which rules out Trent no.5 and Birmingham. Something with a cabin extension would be ideal, or a BCN tug type of thing. 

I've scoured the duck and have kept up to date with this thread, but I'm well aware these things often go by word of mouth.

Hi Junior, nice to see you posting again. Progress is still on the market I think which might be worth a shot, she is wooden but a lovely boat.

11 minutes ago, junior said:

Sadly Elizabeth is sold now....that caused much soul searching here but my woodwork skills aren’t up to giving the cabin the love it needs to keep it in tip top shape. 

1 hour ago, stagedamager said:

Hi Junior, nice to see you posting again. Progress is still on the market I think which might be worth a shot, she is wooden but a lovely boat.

Good shout. Any idea where the advert has gone? If i recall there weren't that many decent photos on there.

8 minutes ago, junior said:

Good shout. Any idea where the advert has gone? If i recall there weren't that many decent photos on there.

The advert has ended but here's the link, might be worth a mesage.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F143574673930

47 minutes ago, junior said:

Remember it is WOOD!  If you get serious about this, and it is a lovely looking boat that I was once interested in, be sure to have a word with the Droylsden gang about price, condition, maintenance costs and any potential to use their facilities ( at a price of course).

41 minutes ago, stagedamager said:

The advert has ended but here's the link, might be worth a mesage.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F143574673930

For some reason no photos of the cabin interior. Is it typical layout i.e stove at steerers feet, table cupboard and fold down bed on that side and long side bed on the other, or does it have anything else? From the photos the cabin looks like it might be a bit bigger than that?

My partner who would be going 50/50 on it with me stipulates the new boat must have comfy bed, a toilet that isn't a 'bucket next to the engine' and ideally a small kitchen area.

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

Remember it is WOOD!  If you get serious about this, and it is a lovely looking boat that I was once interested in, be sure to have a word with the Droylsden gang about price, condition, maintenance costs and any potential to use their facilities ( at a price of course).

The extent of my wooden boat maintenance knowledge is watching the Spey guys replace a plank on middlewich dock a few years ago. The advert for Progress says it was docked in Feb this year and sounds well looked after, so rather than it being something that would need to go on dock straight away for some work, it rather sounds like something that would be a sound starting block and just need an annual docking with some money set aside, which is not really an issue.

On a more serious note, whilst i do like Progress and was jelous when a forum member on here bought it a few years back...i don't think it will pass Charlottes 'facilities' test!

Hope you're well George and hope to see you both at some point this year!

6 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Isn't / wasn't Princess Anne up for sale recently?

https://www.nationalhistoricships.org.uk/register/3599/princess-anne

Think it sold...

Edited by junior
  • Greenie 1

53 minutes ago, junior said:

For some reason no photos of the cabin interior. Is it typical layout i.e stove at steerers feet, table cupboard and fold down bed on that side and long side bed on the other, or does it have anything else? From the photos the cabin looks like it might be a bit bigger than that?

My partner who would be going 50/50 on it with me stipulates the new boat must have comfy bed, a toilet that isn't a 'bucket next to the engine' and ideally a small kitchen area.

Sounds like you are spoiling her.  Next it will be hot running water, 240v electrics, etc.

3 hours ago, noddyboater said:

What about Tycho?

Also heard that Owl maybe for sale again soon, complete with full conversion. 

As a former owner of Owl I'd be very interested to know more about this. 

11 hours ago, frangar said:

Sadly Elizabeth is sold now....that caused much soul searching here but my woodwork skills aren’t up to giving the cabin the love it needs to keep it in tip top shape. 

I was wondering about her today.