Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, John Brightley said:

Hello Sara.

Welcome to the forum. There are many very knowledgeable people on here so don't be afraid of asking questions. It will be interesting to hear how you get on.

Sorry to disappoint you, but none of the cabin is original from when it was a butty. From what can be seen from the ebay photos, the cabin is probably no more than 40 years old, and looks to be in poor condition, so you will probably find it is much better to replace it with a new cabin in steel. 

If the interior fit out is still to your taste, it may be possible to clad the outside in steel.

For what its worth there are loads of pictures of woolwich butty’s around as they were in the day.

The plans are available reproduced.

What you have is a bit of one.

Unless you have bottomless pockets you cant put it back to what it was, but you have a pretty blank canvas to create something around whats left.

47 minutes ago, Tuscan said:

Yes we moored on the field at Marsworth and used to see Dane on a regular basis. Once after a long session in the Red Lion we had a good luck round and discussed swapping Canis for her. At that time she wasn’t in too bad a condition but a quick chat with Jem put us right as to likely maintenance costs and we had to pass. 

Well she lasted a lot longer after we stopped mooring at marsworth. I was only young but remember being at marsworth most of my time moored I remember being at Langley mill

Just now, billybobbooth said:

Well she lasted a lot longer after we stopped mooring at marsworth. I was only young but remember being at marsworth most of my time moored I remember being at Langley mill

Its where all the cool kids were at...... nicely it has gone full circle as my kids are now playing where we all did all those years ago.

• Happy 1

28 minutes ago, stagedamager said:

If the interior fit out is still to your taste, it may be possible to clad the outside in steel.

There wasn’t really a fit out. Or a cabin worth cladding. Or a proper engine installation.

That’s why it caught my eye. It’s a rebuild job.

JP

16 hours ago, pete harrison said:

As a teenager I broke up several wooden boats so that their bottoms could be used for the walls of buildings at The Black Country Museum.

The boatyard being built. I was working on getting the lifting bridge operational at the time.

Black Country Mus 015.jpg

28 minutes ago, Pluto said:

The boatyard being built. I was working on getting the lifting bridge operational at the time.

I do remember seeing boats launched from there long ago now

1 hour ago, Pluto said:

39 minutes ago, billybobbooth said:

I do remember seeing boats launched from there long ago now

As far as making buildings out of boat bottoms is concerned it has been going on for donkeys years, and the Black Country Museum was keen for us to break these old boats up at that time. Funny how things change and people have got all dewy eyed and fluffy clouded about these boats now.

I pulled a day boat (S&L 101) up onto this dock a couple of times in the late 1970's using nothing more that a turfer and a couple of jacks, and of course it only needed a jack to put it back in again. Those were good times and loads of fun, but I am quite sure it would not be allowed nowadays - especially as this dock now has a brick face against the water.

edit = the Ice-Boat is NORTH STAR :captain:

Edited by pete harrison

22 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

As far as making buildings out of boat bottoms is concerned it has been going on for donkeys years, and the Black Country Museum was keen for us to break these old boats up at that time. Funny how things change and people have got all dewy eyed and fluffy clouded about these boats now.

I pulled a day boat (S&L 101) up onto this dock a couple of times in the late 1970's using nothing more that a turfer and a couple of jacks, and of course it only needed a jack to put it back in again. Those were good times and loads of fun, but I am quite sure it would not be allowed nowadays - especially as this dock now has a brick face against the water.

edit = the Ice-Boat is NORTH STAR :captain:

Yes I'll take a pic of it next time I go, is still together just.

My biggest issue is wooden boats are now getting less and less, more so in good condition. I understand that its was normal and even now normal to be done but if every wooden boat was destroyed for there engine when there 25year so life was up we would have none left

Dane is one of only a hand full left and at that the only one as she is e.g. the bow how claytons did it and her original engine thats been there from day 1 of being a motor, there are not many boats like that, yes boats have been reunited with there engines.

As a boat lover I would rather a boat sold a bit cheap knowing it was going to be saved and kept good and loved than just trying to make an extra buck or 2. But that's just me. Its like having a very old car or house and stripping for bits and just destroyed when it can be saved,

I also realise skills are getting harder but wooden boats have just as much right to be saved as steel and in some ways ive seen very poor steel boats saved because there steel (also scrapped) and know 1 man's scrap is another man's gold.

No the Dock is now done very much as a setup than used. Although they have lifted boats out not that long ago for display

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, Pluto said:

Do you recall the numbers of the two day boats on the hard standing there in the background, is the front one in s+l colours? 

1 hour ago, Darrenroberts said:

Do you recall the numbers of the two day boats on the hard standing there in the background, is the front one in s+l colours? 

Back in the 1970's I was not very interested in numbers or boat history, but very interested in boating and learning the skills involved in all of the aspects of boating I could. I did not have a great interest in B.C.N. day boats back then, but went on too many to remember) as they were still everywhere, with quite a number still in trade mostly as rubbish boats or hoppers. I only developed an interest in B.C.N. day boats when I acquired a set of B.C.N. Company gauge registers in the early 2000's.

Having said that the iron day boat on the bank looks like BESSIE to me, which is BCN 14695 and fleet number 18 for its first owner and 112 for Stewarts and Lloyds Ltd.. I am unable to identify the wooden day boat at present but I suspect it will have come from S&L.

edit = When we cleared out the redundant day boats from Stewarts and Lloyds Ltd. in 1976 the ends of the boats were lettered with S&L (red top bends) and British Steel Corporation (blue top bends) in equal(ish) numbers, and I think some may still have had Noah Hingley on them :captain:

Edited by pete harrison
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, pete harrison said:

Back in the 1970's I was not very interested in numbers or boat history, but very interested in boating and learning the skills involved in all of the aspects of boating I could. I did not have a great interest in B.C.N. day boats back then, but went on too many to remember) as they were still everywhere, with quite a number still in trade mostly as rubbish boats or hoppers. I only developed an interest in B.C.N. day boats when I acquired a set of B.C.N. Company gauge registers in the early 2000's.

Having said that the iron day boat on the bank looks like BESSIE to me, which is BCN 14695 and fleet number 18 for its first owner and 112 for Stewarts and Lloyds Ltd.. I am unable to identify the wooden day boat at present but I suspect it will have come from S&L.

edit = When we cleared out the redundant day boats from Stewarts and Lloyds Ltd. in 1976 the ends of the boats were lettered with S&L (red top bends) and British Steel Corporation (blue top bends) in equal(ish) numbers, and I think some may still have had Noah Hingley on them :captain:

Right is see was Noah Hingley a carrier or company? We’ve discussed this before Pete, about Priston and I’ve still been going through any old photos I find of day boats with a  magnifying glass for that illusive “107” but I carnt recall wether I actually sent you a photo of the two plates I have which where in the bow. Any way here they are. Do they look like s+l plates or have u seen any that look like this before? 

5B523B3D-EDA2-497A-B82D-C61B461A15E7.jpeg

1 minute ago, Darrenroberts said:

Right is see was Noah Hingley a carrier or company? We’ve discussed this before Pete, about Priston and I’ve still been going through any old photos I find of day boats with a  magnifying glass for that illusive “107” but I carnt recall wether I actually sent you a photo of the two plates I have which where in the bow. Any way here they are. Do they look like s+l plates or have u seen any that look like this before? 

5B523B3D-EDA2-497A-B82D-C61B461A15E7.jpeg

I would say these are enthusiast / owner made plates. I am not aware of S&L fitting plates to their boats, instead having a fleet number painted in white on the inside of the fore end and stern end - but this was not unique to S&L.

Noah Hingley, Netherton was a black country foundry owner (amongst other things) and operated numerous day boats across that area. When Noah Hingley & Sons Ltd. ended their business some of their boats ended up with S&L, as did the boats of numerous other carriers :captain:

This thread has turned into several different topics, so I am not going to respond to anything else unless it is directly related to this threads title 'historic boats for sale online'.

All of these other topics are interesting and I am happy to contribute to them - but they need to be established in their own threads :captain:

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

This thread has turned into several different topics, so I am not going to respond to anything else unless it is directly related to this threads title 'historic boats for sale online'.

All of these other topics are interesting and I am happy to contribute to them - but they need to be established in their own threads :captain:

Quite right apologies everyone....back to the boats for sale. Thanks again Pete 

3 hours ago, pete harrison said:

Interesting I was told Bessie was abritish steel boat and she's stuck at the museum with no owner as the museum can't claim her and British steel denie owning her! I'm sure its bessie they said that about

46 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

I would say these are enthusiast / owner made plates. I am not aware of S&L fitting plates to their boats, instead having a fleet number painted in white on the inside of the fore end and stern end - but this was not unique to S&L.

Noah Hingley, Netherton was a black country foundry owner (amongst other things) and operated numerous day boats across that area. When Noah Hingley & Sons Ltd. ended their business some of their boats ended up with S&L, as did the boats of numerous other carriers :captain:

yes squire had 102 painted on her bow

7 minutes ago, max's son said:

sorry poor pics would appear to be number on bow and Stewart & Lloyds on stern

s&l Boat 1.jpg

s&l Boat 2.jpg

S&L boat.jpg

I think that’s our old butty Atalanta. She was in their fleet and to this day has the modified fitting for the rudder. Pin with nut on top. The riveted over patch on the old anser hook mount is also present. She was later at Ilkeston.

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, dave moore said:

I wrote it a few years back, not the first I’ve done.....

Nice to see it used rather than fmc on modern boats.

You'll might a call once I need/get my sign writing done, which you'll reject doing once you find out its getting clayton cabbages on it, lol