Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Mike Adams said:

Trent 5 and Tycho now on the duck

Trent 5 has been for sale for ages and i think it's just the advert auto regurgitates itself every so often. I think the price has come down though. Pete keeps an eye on these things so I'm sure he'll confirm or deny if there's been a price decrease. 

Tycho is interesting. I'm sure it's sold once this year already, so it looks like the new owners are moving it on already.

In my opinion, both boats seem to be up for a reasonable price.

27 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Named after river Tycho?

A Scandinavian veritable river of Blue Ice majestically dropping into a fjord.

Well she is in BW blue and yellow.

its not the duck its the advertiser. 

No, Middle Northwich's were named as per Star 'class' - after constellations, in this case a small star. Also a crater on the Moon.

River 'class' boats were built by Thames Launch Works for BWB, not by Yarwood's.

PS: The name of the star, Moon crater and possibly the river, were in honour of the Astronomer Tycho Brahe (Pronounced Tukk Bray)

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Tycho-Brahe-Danish-astronomer

PPS: Just noticed that TYCHO's Birmingham Registration number of 1601, is the same year that the Danish astronmoer died - 1601. Coincidence?

Edited by Derek R.

6 minutes ago, Derek R. said:

No, Middle Northwich's were named as per Star 'class' - after constellations, in this case a small star. Also a crater on the Moon.

River 'class' boats were built by Thames Launch Works for BWB, not by Yarwood's.

PS: The name of the star, Moon crater and possibly the river, were in honour of the Astronomer Tycho Brahe (Pronounced Tukk Bray)

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Tycho-Brahe-Danish-astronomer

Theres no poetic licence in such truths. 
You will tell me town class boats ( Large Woolwich and Northwich) were named after railway stations next. Its rubbish they were named after exotic holiday resorts like Bognor, Barnstable , and um Southam, Southall, and Dunstable. 
We can rewrite history to suit ourselves nowadays.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Theres no poetic licence in such truths. 
You will tell me town class boats ( Large Woolwich and Northwich) were named after railway stations next. Its rubbish they were named after exotic holiday resorts like Bognor, Barnstable , and um Southam, Southall, and Dunstable. 
We can rewrite history to suit ourselves nowadays.

Nah, They were called station boats.?

Weren't they?

N

1 hour ago, junior said:

Trent 5 has been for sale for ages and i think it's just the advert auto regurgitates itself every so often. I think the price has come down though. Pete keeps an eye on these things so I'm sure he'll confirm or deny if there's been a price decrease. 

56 minutes ago, koukouvagia said:

Reduced by £5K

TRENT No.5 started at offers over £40k, and is now @ £35k - not nearly as much as TYCHO's depreciating tale of sale :captain:

27 minutes ago, Derek R. said:

Poetic licence?

Not re-writing anything. Merely stating a fact. And I would not profess to declaring I know why Town class were thus named, other than they were named after towns.

Stop biting Derek - they are winding you up :captain:

1 hour ago, Derek R. said:

https://www.apolloduck.com/boat/yarwoods-river-class/638242

"River class" ???? What is it with Appallingduck?

Back to blue again. But what have they done that makes it sound like a single? It never knocked like that.

I suspect the reference to 'river class' might have something to do with the handful of blue tops currently fitted to TYCHO, not that this makes the reference correct :captain:

Just found out dane is at alvecote and for sale, anyone know if she's still in a fairly bad state? I think I might be killed but depending on her state I'm have to go have a look, although wife might kill me!

7 hours ago, billybobbooth said:

Just found out dane is at alvecote and for sale, anyone know if she's still in a fairly bad state? I think I might be killed but depending on her state I'm have to go have a look, although wife might kill me!

Wasn't Dane only restore a few years ago and then used by Middleport Potteries...?

9 hours ago, BEngo said:

Nah, They were called station boats.?

Weren't they?

N

Course the station boats were named after the stations they proudly motored to.

Mecca station , Atlas station  Manchuria station,   ( which no one mentions is on appalling duck correctly identified)
These boats in their lms train like livery of black and maroon were well known.

not to mention the mighty Roamer and Sandbach.

You couldnt make up the disinformation.

10 hours ago, billybobbooth said:

Dane (with forecabin and Bolinder) is moored at Alvecote on the towpath but I hadn't heard she was for sale again.  She's looking pretty tired at the moment, seems to get left for long periods but is staying afloat.

3 hours ago, noddyboater said:

Dane (with forecabin and Bolinder) is moored at Alvecote on the towpath but I hadn't heard she was for sale again.  She's looking pretty tired at the moment, seems to get left for long periods but is staying afloat.

It used to be owned by a lovely young couple who spent a lot of time on the GU South . Paired with a Butty that had some interesting woodwork from a Great Western Railway Carriage they had a couple of kids , he taught Horse Riding and she was a Veterinary Nurse . I fell into conversation with him several times over the Bolinder Engine which he acknowledged as being the most valuable part of Dane , he priced it at £15k . One day I saw both Dane and the Butty for sale on Apollo Duck and the couple were gone ! I have wondered where they ended up , a bit left field I couldn't have imagined them in a house .

Edited by Parahandy

5 hours ago, noddyboater said:

That is Dane No.18. I was speaking to the owner a while back and he is having repairs done at AP Boatbuilding.