Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Darrenroberts said:

Thanks, iam aware of the price of restoration as I have already been there myself. Ian not looking for a magic  scenario here, just a starting point as it’s difficult to put the finiance in place in one lump sum. Previously I’ve managed to stagger the cost over a period of time lol and typically that results in spending more money in the end but such is life. 

On the off chance I would have a word with a couple of the more established coal boats like jules fuels and nb Alton who have several boats They might have ideas or even consider buying a boat on a partnership basis to expand a round

24 minutes ago, Tuscan said:

On the off chance I would have a word with a couple of the more established coal boats like jules fuels and nb Alton who have several boats They might have ideas or even consider buying a boat on a partnership basis to expand a round

Ah that’s really interesting I wasn’t aware that was even a possibility. I had suspected as I’d previously been keeping my eye on Tadworth, an later saw that juels fuels had bought here. Had also wondered about fuel boat Bargus. Thanks for the advice. 

Ah that’s really interesting I wasn’t aware that was even a possibility. I had suspected as I’d previously been keeping my eye on Tadworth, an later saw that juels fuels had bought here. Had also wondered about fuel boat Bargus. Thanks for the advice. 

Can't see Jason selling Bargus!

If i were you I'd be carrying a big bag of cash down to Denford and start persuading Rupert to part with Ben, assuming it's still there. That said, it's always been a boat i like and last time i spoke to him about it he did have plans for it.

21 minutes ago, junior said:

If i were you I'd be carrying a big bag of cash down to Denford and start persuading Rupert to part with Ben, assuming it's still there. That said, it's always been a boat i like and last time i spoke to him about it he did have plans for it.

He has always had plans

33 minutes ago, junior said:

Can't see Jason selling Bargus!

Sorry I ment in relation to the post about more established carriers sponsoring boats. I’ve seen he’s done a lot of work to bargus. 

5 minutes ago, Chris-B said:

You could always have a chat with Malcolm Burge at Alvecote 

He has a few boats and everything is  for sale 

.......now I do wonder how much for................................

Ah, his boats are special self steering boats too....?

2 hours ago, Darrenroberts said:

Jules has added several boats to the fleet in the past few years, good business to be had with the increased liveaboard population. Never going to be a millionaire, but hey ho.

10 minutes ago, Chris-B said:

.......now I do wonder how much for................................

Cheers Chris I’ll see if I can get a number off there website. 

5 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Ah, his boats are special self steering boats too....?

Jules has added several boats to the fleet in the past few years, good business to be had with the increased liveaboard population. Never going to be a millionaire, but hey ho.

Haha I gave up on the idea of been a millionaire after i bought my first boat?

11 hours ago, Darrenroberts said:

Hi guys, iam still in the market for an unconverted motor for the  purpose  Of commercial carrying. I’ve been keeping an eye out on the usual websites, but even after saving for 2 years 40+k is still out of reach. I’ve been reading a old thread about the pair at weedon and was wondering if anyone had any intel on Edgware other that what has been posted. Do we know who actually owns the pair? I know they both have been in a state of disrepair for some time and I seam to recall seeing some concerning holes around the back chine on Edgware last time I when past her and am sure the fun and games will really start below the water line. Tragically, that been said this is the condition of  boat my budget is likely get me whilst leaving the nessasary cash to make the repairs to get going.lol It may be some time before I’ll be attending any rally in full colours. Alternatively, I don’t seam to be having much luck waiting for the right boat to turn up at the usual brokerage websites, so was wondering if anybody knows of any other good potential leads I can chase up?  My budget currently is 20k but might b able to pull some strings to around 25k. laughable! I know but if not I’ll have to carry on saving, but thought it was worth an ask. thanks in advance. Darren 

Even though prices of 'historic' narrow boats are falling I think you will struggle to find any motor worth having as low as £25k, not even a motorised butty or B.C.N. boat. I can't help feeling that you would be better off to continue with your saving as if you buy a boat too soon then just paying for licence, moorings and basic maintenance could bleed your plans of restoration dry - leading to the possibility of it not ending well for you or the boat. I also can't help thinking that the collaborations / partnerships that some have mentioned have been done between people who already know one another, and where both parties have experience of operating commercial narrow boats and have often worked together before in some format.

If you do manage to find a cheap carrying boat and decide to pursue your dream then I wish you well :captain:

Edited by pete harrison
  • Greenie 1

13 hours ago, Chris-B said:

Is the South Midland fleet no longer operational?

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Is the South Midland fleet no longer operational?

From what I hear some boats are staying - Jaguar, Kangaroo, Greyhound, Australia- but many of the projects,  some quite recently bought,  are going.  As some of these have already had major work done they won't be cheap. There's a Josher motor that needs a new bottom, but that probably isn't going cheap either! 

• Greenie 1

12 hours ago, pete harrison said:

Even though prices of 'historic' narrow boats are falling I think you will struggle to find any motor worth having as low as £25k, not even a motorised butty or B.C.N. boat. I can't help feeling that you would be better off to continue with your saving as if you buy a boat too soon then just paying for licence, moorings and basic maintenance could bleed your plans of restoration dry - leading to the possibility of it not ending well for you or the boat. I also can't help thinking that the collaborations / partnerships that some have mentioned have been done between people who already know one another, and where both parties have experience of operating commercial narrow boats and have often worked together before in some format.

If you do manage to find a cheap carrying boat and decide to pursue your dream then I wish you well :captain:

Thanks Pete  To quote man of La Mancha “to dream the impossible dream”  thought I’d try chancing my arm, the thinking been with all the chaos going on some owners/ Circumstances may of changed? And if I didn’t ask I wouldn’t know. Not a problem I’ll carry on saving, one day I might be able to get my foot on the ladder as they say. 

57 minutes ago, Darrenroberts said:

Thanks Pete  To quote man of La Mancha “to dream the impossible dream”  thought I’d try chancing my arm, the thinking been with all the chaos going on some owners/ Circumstances may of changed? And if I didn’t ask I wouldn’t know. Not a problem I’ll carry on saving, one day I might be able to get my foot on the ladder as they say. 

There is certainly no harm in 'chancing your arm', and who knows what might turn up.  As said I think it unlikely that you will find a mainstream family type motor for £20k to 25k, but you are at a point where you could buy a good butty - so there is a positive. My suggestion remains as keep saving and buy something worth having, along with a restoration / improvement fund.

You say that you want to operate a boat for commercial carrying, but do you have any background in this ? If not I would suggest you befriend a fuel boat operator and help out if you can, or even get involved with an organisation such as The Narrow Boat Trust Ltd. who operate a narrow boat pair crewed by volunteers and have a training programme for steerers, with at least two retail coal runs each year and visit shows e.t.c. for the remainder - all very good experience, especially as the volunteers also carry out much of the maintenance :captain:

Edited by pete harrison

Lapwing would be a good bet for you. Its around 25k depending on your out look its got a new (understood now well done) wooden bottom, for carrying fairly quick and easy to remove external extra cabin stuff for carrying not simple but not difficult.

This was my ideal boat I was going after but they beat me too it as i was waiting for it to get a bit lower in price before I thought it was a good option to offer what I could, given the boat has just sat I wish I had before buying towy but I wouldn't be without her now

24 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

There is certainly no harm in 'chancing your arm', and who knows what might turn up. As said I think it unlikely that you will find a mainstream family type motor for £20k to 25k, but you are at a point where you could buy a good butty - so there is a positive. My suggestion remains as keep saving and buy something worth having, along with a restoration / improvement fund.

You say that you want to operate a boat for commercial carrying, but do you have any background in this ? If not I would suggest you befriend a fuel boat operator and help out if you can, or even get involved with an organisation such as The Narrow Boat Trust Ltd. who operate a narrow boat pair crewed by volunteers and have a training programme for steerers, with at least two retail coal runs each year and visit shows e.t.c. for the remainder - all very good experience, especially as the volunteers also carry out much of the maintenance :captain:

Yeh I decided that’s what I wanted to do a few years ago and alongside saving I’ve been trying to put together as many  pieces  Of the puzzle as possible. This has taken me down a few different avenues,and I’ve made some good contacts. So far av managed to secure a yard free,of charge to work on a restoration and I’ve been working down in London at west India dock with the CRT. This comes with a free boat licence, so there’s a few small fees taken care of. As for commercial experience current state of play is on going, I’ve pick up a few things on the way boat licences for commercial workboats and powerboats and Iam currently preparing to take my boat masters licence. I thought it all might help and work have been covering the costs so there’s some progress there and generally I’ve tried to ensure my working days are always canal related. I  volunteered for the Narrowboat Trust jut once the winter before last helping load up Brighton and Nuneaton and have just recently written to them again to see if I could help it again as it was a great experience. Basically am trying to do all the things and meet all the people I can in the hope that one day an opportunity may come my way. P.s I was very tempted by the look and how long Hades has been in the marked but again the long term logistics of a butty been towed by my live aboard BCN boat might not be realistic. 

Edited by Darrenroberts

1 hour ago, billybobbooth said:

Lapwing would be a good bet for you. Its around 25k depending on your out look its got a new (understood now well done) wooden bottom, for carrying fairly quick and easy to remove external extra cabin stuff for carrying not simple but not difficult.

This was my ideal boat I was going after but they beat me too it as i was waiting for it to get a bit lower in price before I thought it was a good option to offer what I could, given the boat has just sat I wish I had before buying towy but I wouldn't be without her now

I was moored opposite Lapwing a few months ago at city road basin in London. I saw it go backwards and forwards a few times with a few  volunteers but she basically just sits there, or so I’ve seen. I wasn’t aware it was for sale? Is it still/ has it been advertised? Or was this a few years ago? 

I guess the logistics of towing an empty butty depend on the stern of your bcn boat. On the other hand, if you are living on your boat and it is capable of towing a butty might be a cheap way of coaling, especially as it has the benefit of allowing you to leave it, if you need to be elsewhere with your home.

certainly we had the opposite solution, unconverted motor and converted butty for the limited work we did with our motor, but it kind of worked, and so would the opposite.

5 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

I guess the logistics of towing an empty butty depend on the stern of your bcn boat. On the other hand, if you are living on your boat and it is capable of towing a butty might be a cheap way of coaling, especially as it has the benefit of allowing you to leave it, if you need to be elsewhere with your home.

certainly we had the opposite solution, unconverted motor and converted butty for the limited work we did with our motor, but it kind of worked, and so would the opposite.

The FIRST requirement of coaling these days, and was probably always thus, is to identify your customer base.  Most of the network is already served by existing boats.  Whilst there is nothing they can do about another boat turning up, provided the existing service has been good, customers will remain loyal and the newcomer will have slim pickings (No, not the cowboy actor).

I believe one or two bits of the network remain available but, again, that is probably for a good reason.

P.s I was very tempted by the look and how long Hades has been in the marked but again the long term logistics of a butty been towed by my live aboard BCN boat might not be realistic. 

11 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

I guess the logistics of towing an empty butty depend on the stern of your bcn boat.

If PRISTON is the boat I am thinking of then it will be too shallow draft and has an aggressive / short swim to make a good towing boat. I was not suggesting a butty would suit the needs of 'Darrenroberts' but that he had reached a psychological milestone as far as 'historic' narrow boats are concerned :captain:

25 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

If PRISTON is the boat I am thinking of then it will be too shallow draft and has an aggressive / short swim to make a good towing boat. I was not suggesting a butty would suit the needs of 'Darrenroberts' but that he had reached a psychological milestone as far as 'historic' narrow boats are concerned :captain:

Yeh Priston is correct and yes she dose have a shortish swim. Draft wise am not to sure although I did move a narrow beam hopper with her once but opted to tie up alongside 

48 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

The FIRST requirement of coaling these days, and was probably always thus, is to identify your customer base.  Most of the network is already served by existing boats.  Whilst there is nothing they can do about another boat turning up, provided the existing service has been good, customers will remain loyal and the newcomer will have slim pickings (No, not the cowboy actor).

I believe one or two bits of the network remain available but, again, that is probably for a good reason.

Thanks, totally agree. This is something I’ve considered and actually experienced. Just to make clear iam not operating in dreamland here (apart from my current budget haha) just trying to make some logical steps to make a living from the canal. As you may have guessed from the thread, iam very much aware of the work still to be done and that my journey is still in its infancy, but Surly if the history and traditional skills of the canal are to continue and be preserved, at some point a younger generation of enthusiasts are going to have to try and break through? So that’s what Iam trying to do. Oh and p.s I was actually looking into sawn timber carrying more specifically as that’s where my contact base lies. 

Edited by Darrenroberts
  • Greenie 1

Just now, Darrenroberts said:

Thanks, totally agree. This is something I’ve considered and actually experienced. Just to make clear iam not operating in dreamland here (apart from my current budget haha) just trying to make some logical steps to make a living from the canal. As you may have guessed from the thread, iam very much aware of the work still to be done and that my journey is still in its infancy, but Surly if the history and traditional skills of the canal are to continue and be preserved, at some point a younger generation of enthusiasts are going to have to try and break through? So that’s what Iam trying to do. 

Keep with the optimism. That’s what the canal needs if it’s not going to become linear housing estate. We scrapped and scratched around with old boats and little funds for years, but I will never regret it.

On 07/06/2020 at 13:36, Darrenroberts said:

Hi there thanks for the tip where abouts is Ascot and Beverley, I don’t believe I’ve seen them out and about? Also do you know the owner? 

Gary is moored up next to me at the moment actually, if there's a message / number you want me to pass on let me know

I remember Ascot when Gary first bought it in MK. I think, but not sure, that it has got the original back cabin still. 

I remember it having coins in the steerer's step. 

The counter had been rebuilt in a slightly displeasing way but to my mind a boat with original back cabin (if any of it is actually still there) would be very pleasant. Have not been up there for about 15 years but I remember the bloke he bought the boats from. Forgot the name but I've always been bad with names. 

Gary might remember me. Tall skinny posh bloke Andrew who had a boat called Tiger and a mother on another boat. Loads of flowers on boat. 

One of my former lives :) 

I retrieved the old lock key from Ascot and returned it to him after he lost it while winding near the aqueduct round corner from Targets turn. 

those were the days. 

Edited by magnetman

11 minutes ago, magnetman said:

The counter had been rebuilt in a slightly displeasing way but to my mind a boat with original back cabin (if any of it is actually still there) would be very pleasant. Have not been up there for about 15 years but I remember the bloke he bought the boats from. Forgot the name but I've always been bad with names. 

Mark