Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

29 minutes ago, junior said:

£30k for a wooden boat seems a lot. Am i mistaken or was it not progress that was for sale 3 or for years ago for about half that price? I seem to remember a chap posting on here about it saying he'd bought it for his family and posing picture of his Rottweiler sat on top of the boat.

It was on offer at around £35000 when I bought Sandbach, which must be 10 or more years ago now.  I don't know what it sold for.

13 minutes ago, stagedamager said:

That's the one. From what I remember she's in pretty good nick, it's just a shame about the god awful bandstand on the deck.

It can't be hard to unbolt the stantions

Then it would look much like Sickle

Richard

I think the stanchions are only there because of it's use at Stoke Bruerne supporting the trust in memory of David Blagrove.

As indicated by the following picture it is used with guests on board, and I guess this is safer.

I'm sure they are very easily removed.

s-l1600.jpg

17 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Then it would look much like Sickle

The excellent paint job and signwriting on Progress is the masterful work of Colin Dundas.  It was he who has also repainted Sickle.

However with Sickle we have got away with doing Stoke Bruerne events without the rope fence.  There as an extensive Risk Analysis done for the Vikings, but the need to fence them off was not part of it!....

CIMG9979.JPG

Nor indeed was it required for our Pearly King!

Edited by alan_fincher

1 hour ago, junior said:

£30k for a wooden boat seems a lot. Am i mistaken or was it not progress that was for sale 3 or for years ago for about half that price? I seem to remember a chap posting on here about it saying he'd bought it for his family and posing picture of his Rottweiler sat on top of the boat.

I remember a new owner posting on here for a while around then. He was enthusiastic about the boat, but I seem to recall he (or perhaps his wife) found the accommodation too small and he sold it for something larger (and more conventional). We passed him on the GU near Rowington in July 2016 and had a brief passing exchange as fellow CRDF members.

2 hours ago, junior said:

Yes, well remembered - the ad (at £15k) even shows the Rotty! It has apparently had the cabin re-skinned and obviously a repaint, don't know what else.

https://boats-from.co.uk/not-specified/50-tug-boat-live-aboard-22355

3 hours ago, Mike Tee said:

Yes, well remembered - the ad (at £15k) even shows the Rotty! It has apparently had the cabin re-skinned and obviously a repaint, don't know what else.

https://boats-from.co.uk/not-specified/50-tug-boat-live-aboard-22355

Yes that's it. Glad my memory does not play tricks on me (yet). Whilst it sounds like it's had some work done since then, i think most boat owners will know that you never get back what you've spent on them. £30k seems steep to me for a wooden boat. Or maybe I'm just a tad disappointed it's not still 15 grand as it would be just about in budget for me.

On 08/03/2020 at 20:07, stagedamager said:

Here the link to Progress. I believe the bandstand is free but you have to pay extra for the musicians to play on her........

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F143550279124

She keeps coming up for sale, I cant work out if it's due to the boat or if there is an underlying problem?

On 10/03/2020 at 16:59, Mike Tee said:

How often does a wooden hull need re-caulking (and presumably blacking) and is there any other regular maintenance needed?

2 years can do every year but as long as it's got good bitumen and its re corked every 2 years where needed and idealy full cork every 6 years you'll be fine,

Maintenance is when needed but you can patch and block as needed, till you need to replace

Just now, Mike Tee said:

Thanks for the various responses - I was trying to get clear in my mind the difference between steel hull maintenance and wood. Gut feeling is steel is more forgiving and possibly easier to rectify?

Chalk and cheese. 

A similar difference I'd say, to between maintaining a steel car and a wooden car. 

Ask yourself why 99.99% of narrow boats on the cut are steel not wood....

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Chalk and cheese. 

A similar difference I'd say, to between maintaining a steel car and a wooden car. 

Ask yourself why 99.99% of narrow boats on the cut are steel not wood....

Coz I'm stupid?

As I've said before I've seen some steel boats cost 60+ to restore and some wooden 40k

The difference is still you need a big chunk In one go. Wood you need a bigger chunk year on year but over 30-50 years of ownership you could still spend a very sim amount by the end of your ownership.

Yes steel you'll get more for but it will also cost more to buy.

Edited by billybobbooth

On 12/03/2020 at 10:52, billybobbooth said:

Coz I'm stupid?

Point of order BB, anyone who does not need a bote but has one is "stupid".

Ps anyone with a wooden boat that properly looks after it has my full respect.

Edited by mark99

On 12/03/2020 at 10:52, billybobbooth said:

Coz I'm stupid?

As I've said before I've seen some steel boats cost 60+ to restore and some wooden 40k

The difference is still you need a big chunk In one go. Wood you need a bigger chunk year on year but over 30-50 years of ownership you could still spend a very sim amount by the end of your ownership.

Yes steel you'll get more for but it will also cost more to buy.

One huge difference in reckoning up maintenance costs is the lifespan of the repair, a steel/iron boat rebottomed/replated will outlast major replacement of planking if maintained properly. 

22 minutes ago, BWM said:

One huge difference in reckoning up maintenance costs is the lifespan of the repair, a steel/iron boat rebottomed/replated will outlast major replacement of planking if maintained properly. 

Yes I do fully agree with that!