Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

22 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Is there anywhere with details about Ibex? I don't want to watch 7.22 of video to find out the price

Richard

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The asking price appears to be £44,950.

Compared to the costs involved in restoring these boats £45k appears to be good value to me - apart from it being a Josher of course. 

I have nothing to do with the sale of this boat, but like most 'historic' narrow boats I do know the owner / seller :captain:

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1
  • Horror 1

11 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

Compared to the costs involved in restoring these boats £45k appears to be good value to me - apart from it being a Josher of course. 

Yes I thought so too. 

A jolly good candidate for a full length conversion I reckon, given the current unfortunate trend for deconverting historic conversions.  

6 minutes ago, koukouvagia said:

It seems to be difficult to sell.  It's been reduced from £49,500.

It seems to me that many unconverted historic boats are struggling to sell at the prices they are first being offered for.

Actually if I think about it....

It also sees to me that many converted historic boats are struggling to sell at the prices they are first being offered for.

The same seller has had a converted boat for sale for some time, which has also been reduced a fair amount from the original price.

Repeat after me....

"I still don't need Birmingham, I still don't need Birmingham, I still don't need Birmingham, I still don't need Birmingham,....."

(I'm not convinced that this approach is working!........)

16 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

It seems to me that many unconverted historic boats are struggling to sell at the prices they are first being offered for.

Actually if I think about it....

It also sees to me that many converted historic boats are struggling to sell at the prices they are first being offered for.

The same seller has had a converted boat for sale for some time, which has also been reduced a fair amount from the original price.

Repeat after me....

"I still don't need Birmingham, I still don't need Birmingham, I still don't need Birmingham, I still don't need Birmingham,....."

(I'm not convinced that this approach is working!........)

I'll give you fifty quid for Sickle, then you can buy Birmingham. Nobody needs three boats, obviously.....

7 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Dory now on "the duck" with an actual price, (£59,950), rather than "price on application".

Weren't boats like this 80k 18 months ago or am I missing something? it feels like joshers are going cheap all over the place.

6 minutes ago, Nick Davis said:

Weren't boats like this 80k 18 months ago or am I missing something? it feels like joshers are going cheap all over the place.

I don't recall any unconverted Joshers being offered at anything like £80K, but am happy to be corrected if I am wrong?

Is £60K for any unconverted boat "cheap"?

Obviously one only sees advertised prices, not actual prices that boats sold at, but how many unconverted boats have sold for £60K?

19 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I don't recall any unconverted Joshers being offered at anything like £80K, but am happy to be corrected if I am wrong?

Is £60K for any unconverted boat "cheap"?

Obviously one only sees advertised prices, not actual prices that boats sold at, but how many unconverted boats have sold for £60K?

I was kidding about 'cheap' it must be the bolinder? I thought 45k for Ibex was quite reasonable....no? They look very finished. Wasn't Owl 80k or was that just a rumour? She had a very basic conversion lovely though.

Has anyone mentioned wooden BCN tug Progress? on Ebay 30k that would be a fun boat. So many working boats for sale amazing!

I do wonder ( have said this before) if any form of motorised transport reaches a peak price when the generation inspired by them lives. When this generation "retires" (trying to be kind) the new generation cannot see the "value" which was largely sentimental. And the peak price droops.

A truly superb looking boat, with a decent engine and a reasonable price I'd have thought.

Sadly I'm not in the market, and although my preference is for Grand Union Small Woolwich If I were younger and had not wasted my money on duff investments like Wine, Women and Song I could have been tempted.

Two things would cross my mind.  One of them may well have been explained somewhere in the 7 minute video or lengthy advert but escaped me.

Is she still composite or has a steel bottom been welded to her iron sides?

The thinking behind an expensive FMC livery plus the cost of pricey cloths with BWB lettering.

I envy the future new owner oodles, and trust she remains such a treat to the eyes and soul.

19 minutes ago, mark99 said:

I do wonder ( have said this before) if any form of motorised transport reaches a peak price when the generation inspired by them lives. When this generation "retires" (trying to be kind) the new generation cannot see the "value" which was largely sentimental. And the peak price droops.

Ive said the same to my brother-in-law, who spends serious amounts of money (and time and fuel) collecting 1950's & 60's pedal cars, Dinky toys etc.

19 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Pre war cars and motorcycles are still a good investment going up and up

Maybe theres simply a lot more restored narrowboats around FMC joshers 10 a penny.

6 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'll give you fifty quid for Sickle, then you can buy Birmingham. Nobody needs three boats, obviously.....

3 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Fifty one...

No, but if a hundred of you will give me fifty quid last year's repaint would be paid for!

13 hours ago, mark99 said:

e5660112d87f815d34fef9001a380fb0b69a73e1

Bugatti type 35, sold for €387,500 in 2018. I'm not sure many people who drove her in 1925 are still around

Richard

17 hours ago, mark99 said:

Judging by the number of vehicles and vessels that were built and used well over seventy years ago and which hold their price (though fluctuations can occur), it would seem that there are many who are younger than the vehicles and vessels, who are quite willing to spend their spondooliks. This is a fact. Cars, motorcycles, boats and aircraft, all have their admirers of all ages. Enthusiam is not something constrained to the age of the individual, though nostalgia does undoubtedly have an effect, but only amongst those who, perhaps at one time, did indeed own or use such vehicles. I think 'interest' crosses age barriers.

I think any 'peak price' is purely down to a desire to own an particular thing, and it only takes two people at any auction to see prices go through the roof. If such persons are not present at auction by person or internet, then prices may tank, or sadly like ELIZABETH, remain unsold (as far as I know).

Built in the fifties, this collection of mismatched Vincent parts (and some missing) sold at auction for £91,000

Vincent-parts-91-000.jpg

Another pallet full of severely corroded Brough Superior parts from the 1930's, went for a quarter of a million quid.  Model T Fords from the 1920's sell for between £10,000 - £30,000. Possibly a lot cheaper to maintain and run than a historic narrow boat too!

17 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

No, but if a hundred of you will give me fifty quid last year's repaint would be paid for!

In the olden days, early seventies, we had a chap on board that would visit each mess and ask for ten pence here and there. He would accumulate enough for a decent run ashore. 

2 hours ago, max's son said:

See from towpath talk Bainton and Berkhamstead have been given to the Shrewsbury and Newport Canal trust

https://www.towpathtalk.co.uk/historic-boats-gifted-to-shrewsbury-newport-canal-trust/

That is an interesting twist on whether it is actually the Berkhamsted, but what s written in the article makes no sense to me, as it would seem to imply it isn't, whilst the article also claiming it is.

I have little doubt that it is actually the Ayr, (so not the buty originally intended to be paired with Bainton, as is stated).

But I'm staggered to see Bainton has already been out for a trip up the cut - that I would have loved to have seen!

I shall follow their progress with interest- I hope the selected group they were gifted to proves to have the necessary resources, skills, an (particularly?) money.  If they do end up back in good order they will certainly need plenty of all those things!

It just needs the owner of Edgeware and Balham to make a similar gesture now, and the Weedon area might cease to be a repository for derelict "Grand Union" boats!

On 08/03/2020 at 20:07, stagedamager said:

Here the link to Progress. I believe the bandstand is free but you have to pay extra for the musicians to play on her........

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F143550279124

£30k for a wooden boat seems a lot. Am i mistaken or was it not progress that was for sale 3 or for years ago for about half that price? I seem to remember a chap posting on here about it saying he'd bought it for his family and posing picture of his Rottweiler sat on top of the boat.