Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

27 minutes ago, Paddle said:

Unfortunately those are the rules for museums. Otherwise they'd perpetually be selling off exhibits to pay for new visitor centres... Selling artefacts can mean that museums lose their Arts Council England accreditation status and put them out of the running for future Government grants. Remember the fuss when Northampton Museum sold its ancient Egyptian statue at Christies for £16m - and lost its accreditation status for five years. Worth it for £16m, not worth it for the £15k that they'd get for BIRCHILLS. 

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/jul/10/northampton-borough-council-sells-egyptian-statue-sekhemka

I do think though that a wooden boat sagging slowly in a shed is a better bet for a museum than one that's been sunk for years. Unfortunately curators like to think the cash will eventually turn up to fix them, hence leaving them sunk where they won't deteriorate too quickly - rather than rescuing them when they still look like a boat.

Hendon is superb. There's even a Sunderland you can go onboard. I couldn't decide if it was huge or tiny, but one thing was for certain it would have been draughty. They've got their own wooden boat problems, stored outside, decaying slowly - RAF launches. I haven't been to Duxford in years, but it was excellent. So is HMS BELFAST. The IWM itself was rather destroyed with its major revamp about three years ago, completely dumbed down.

Anyway, what happened to CHILTERN and the other boats in the first 'deaccessioning' by the Museum?

Chiltern was cut up, I think only the bow still exists. No idea what happened to the iron work.

18 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/narrow-boats-tugs/627648

Browsing earlier and came across this " last of the working Boats " ?

"Sentinel is a 70ft trad style tug narrow boat in excellent condition. November 2019 survey certificate available
Completed in 1976 she was one of the last working boats launched in the UK carrying port barrels from Bristol until she was decommissioned in 1981."

Can this be true?

1 minute ago, doratheexplorer said:

"Sentinel is a 70ft trad style tug narrow boat in excellent condition. November 2019 survey certificate available
Completed in 1976 she was one of the last working boats launched in the UK carrying port barrels from Bristol until she was decommissioned in 1981."

Can this be true?

1 hour ago, Parahandy said:

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/narrow-boats-tugs/627648

Browsing earlier and came across this " last of the working Boats " ?

Hardly the last.  I can think of four working boats built after 1976. Newbury built in 1981/82 by Braunston Canal Services, and later owned by John Forth, Newdigate built by Barry Morsde for John Forth (date unknown but later than 1982), and Stokie built for Dave Sharman by Pinders in 1991/92. Then there is Hadar built more recently for Kieth Lodge, plus quite a few others.

8 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Hardly the last.  I can think of four working boats built after 1976. Newbury built in 1981/82 by Braunston Canal Services, and later owned by John Forth, Newdigate built by Barry Morsde for John Forth (date unknown but later than 1982), and Stokie built for Dave Sharman by Pinders in 1991/92. Then there is Hadar built more recently for Kieth Lodge, plus quite a few others.

When was coal boat 'Dusty' built? 

10 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

£60,000 David . its interesting comparing the price being asked to other Historic Craft advertised . I hadn't considered whether age had any great bearing on value , I mess around with some Classic Cars but I dont believe you can apply the same sort of principles apart from possibly rarity .

3 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Can this be true?

As David said above, Stokie was built after this in 1993/4

Edited by Ray T

2 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

What about the milton pottery boats?? They actually carried cargo for a company....

17 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

I didn’t realise that I had changed my name to Barry Morsde

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Steve Priest said:

I didn’t realise that I had changed my name to Barry Morsde

Sorry about that Steve, I got the info about Newdigate from this site :-  http://www.deuchars.org.uk/hiwb/boatgallery/modern.htm   Fifth boat down. I must admit that I was a bit surprised about the claim, as I always thought that John has a hand in the building. Interestingly, I found another site that stated that Newbury was built by yourself and Simon Wain, but John always told me that it was one of Balliol's Boats , which would make the builders Dave Thomas and Roger Farrington, or were you working for him as well?

Edited by David Schweizer