Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, bizzard said:

The U2's still fly. If you go onto Flightradar24 at night and write NASA in the search box one might come up, click on it, they fly around Nevada and west coast of California, at 65,000 ft. And often other Nasa aircraft too.

U2's still fly out of Fairford in Gloucestershire!

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/news/cheltenham-news/u2-wakes-up-gloucestershire-usaf-3384167

On 26/01/2020 at 12:40, pete harrison said:

TYCHO now showing as 'sale agreed' :captain:

Pictures on Facebook today show Tycho starting a journey to Northwich

Returning to the museums, the others mentioned have national funding, which the Waterways Museum does not, and that is their major problem. Nationally funded museums are free, whilst local/private museums have to charge in order to fund displays and conservation. It is not a level playing field, and made more difficult in that museums can have "National" in their title, without having national funding.

On reselling/disposing of exhibits, any registered museum has to follow national standards on the sale of exhibits, for example, so that councillors cannot sell off paintings from council-run museums. Those that do are de-registered, which then makes it impossible to attract any funding.

3 minutes ago, Pluto said:

On reselling/disposing of exhibits, any registered museum has to follow national standards on the sale of exhibits, for example, so that councillors cannot sell off paintings from council-run museums. Those that do are de-registered, which then makes it impossible to attract any funding.

Thanks for the explanation, but let's get this straight...

The museum doesn't get any external funding, but can't sell off the boats they can't look after as this means external funding will stop. Have I got this straight?! !!

Whilst I don't usually complain about "thread drift",perhaps someone could start a thread about canal/railway/aircraft museums, and their challenges of conservation and attracting the public.

Then this popular thread could revert to discussion of historic boats that are for sale!

• Happy 2

1 hour ago, Derek R. said:

I don't have a problem with "thread drift", but I'd like to hear more about TYCHO sale.

It has just passed us on "Sickle" and "Flamingo" at Nether Heyford, with Matt at the tiller.  They are not hanging about!

Edited to add a second picture taken by my other half.

Tycho With Parrotts.jpg

Tycho_Parrotts2.jpg

Edited by alan_fincher

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The museum doesn't get any external funding, but can't sell off the boats they can't look after as this means external funding will stop. Have I got this straight?! !!

It does. Article from Towpath Feb 2020.

Port Grant.jpg

Edited by Ray T

3 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

It has just passed us on "Sickle" and "Flamingo" at Nether Heyford, with Matt at the tiller.  They are not hanging about!

Edited to add a second picture taken by my other half.

Tycho With Parrotts.jpg

Tycho_Parrotts2.jpg

Shame you couldn't get a picture with Tycho and Sickle in the same shot.

1 minute ago, BWM said:

Half of a 100 foot long butty! 

This is one of several errors in the advert - ORION was built with a nominal length of 71'6'' in common with other Grand Union Canal Carrying Company Ltd. narrow boats.

The engine is a 3 cylinder (FR3M) rather than 2 cylinder and its serial number dates to 1954 rather than 1957.

I have texted the seller, so the advert might change :captain:

• Happy 2

14 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

This is the fore end tof ORION, last sold via Ebay in mid August 2019.

is it perhaps then that the buyer has just realised that they have taken on custondianship of something needing constant maintenance and not the best liveaboard for significant other and dog?

2 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

is it perhaps then that the buyer has just realised that they have taken on custondianship of something needing constant maintenance and not the best liveaboard for significant other and dog?

I can see how that would work, it looks lovely inside but looking at the little hull shown in the pictures you see a tired wooden hull that almost certainly leaks.

2 hours ago, Athy said:

From memory, A.F. has previously published at least one.

There is one that shows an identical image, but two comparative images one above the other.

Years ago SICKLE when still on maintenance, was tied to the towpath somewhere below Cow Roast, and I tied TYCHO alongside. I took a shot of them side by side with my Olympus using 35mm colour film. I never got the film processed, and we moved house. When I eventually went to take the film out, I had forgotten to rewind it back into the spool - and opened the back. Lost the lot!

A Middle Northwich mini-fest!

229770509_118pSickleTychoBraunston(Medium).jpg.f0825dca78ee6b8240c10255a140df2d.jpg

502673109_074TYCHOSICKLE2(Medium).jpg.35104a2bf66310f79191eb20cfec6316.jpg

I should add: I think the last images were taken by Dave Parrott, so credit to Dave.

Edited by Derek R.
  • Greenie 1

8 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

They would be unable to get any local authority funding, which I think they get from time to time, and HLF probably wouldn't give them anything if the were not registered.

9 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Not correct. Accredited museums can dispose of artefacts however they have to follow procedures, if you have a lot of time you can read the Museums Association Disposal Toolkit:

https://www.artscouncil.org.uk/sites/default/files/download-file/Disposal_Toolkit.pdf

On 15/02/2020 at 20:31, Mike the Boilerman said:

It still seems terribly 'dog-in-the-manger' of them to refuse to let any of their charges pass back into private, wealthy enthusiast ownership given they can't afford to look after them themselves. 

Unfortunately those are the rules for museums. Otherwise they'd perpetually be selling off exhibits to pay for new visitor centres... Selling artefacts can mean that museums lose their Arts Council England accreditation status and put them out of the running for future Government grants. Remember the fuss when Northampton Museum sold its ancient Egyptian statue at Christies for £16m - and lost its accreditation status for five years. Worth it for £16m, not worth it for the £15k that they'd get for BIRCHILLS. 

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/jul/10/northampton-borough-council-sells-egyptian-statue-sekhemka

I do think though that a wooden boat sagging slowly in a shed is a better bet for a museum than one that's been sunk for years. Unfortunately curators like to think the cash will eventually turn up to fix them, hence leaving them sunk where they won't deteriorate too quickly - rather than rescuing them when they still look like a boat.

Hendon is superb. There's even a Sunderland you can go onboard. I couldn't decide if it was huge or tiny, but one thing was for certain it would have been draughty. They've got their own wooden boat problems, stored outside, decaying slowly - RAF launches. I haven't been to Duxford in years, but it was excellent. So is HMS BELFAST. The IWM itself was rather destroyed with its major revamp about three years ago, completely dumbed down.

Anyway, what happened to CHILTERN and the other boats in the first 'deaccessioning' by the Museum?