Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

22 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Is that any worse than the number of ex GUCC composites which have had the elm bottom replaced with a steel one?

Yes, obviously. 

Taking off a sound riveted iron bottom is a far worse crime than replacing a rotten wooden bottom with steel.

4 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

Is that any worse than the number of ex GUCC composites which have had the elm bottom replaced with a steel one?

Well in my view hugely so.

The latter wouldn't be hard to reverse if somebody wanted to.

And there are several good examples still existing if it matters o people that much.

Just my personal view, though.

15 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'd love to buy Tycho but am not prepared to be the one to remove the ice ram. Removing it will prolly add £5-10k to the value of the boat, but it will destroy the history as you say.

Quite a claim, but I suggest one it is impossible to validate in any way.

Fitting out the back cabin suitable as overnight accommodation, getting rid of the blue tops, and putting it into an authentic livery would "prolly" add a lot more.

But I know from recent experience what "putting it into an authentic livery" costs, and is money that now spent I'll never get back.

Another important feature of Tycho, not so far mentioned, I think, is it has I believe a largely original riveted back cabin - quite a rarity on Northwich "Grand Unions".

A shame the current owner couldn't manage to agree a deal with a willing buyer when he had one, given how much he has had to drop the price since - he would have been quids in!

The boat needs an enthusiastic new owner that will do it up, and start to show it off again - it was always popular at the shows, and should be again.

Obviously that owner should not be some philistine who tries to put a K2 into it! ?

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Quite a claim, but I suggest one it is impossible to validate in any way.

Fitting out the back cabin suitable as overnight accommodation, getting rid of the blue tops, and putting it into an authentic livery would "prolly" add a lot more.

But I know from recent experience what "putting it into an authentic livery" costs, and is money that now spent I'll never get back.

Another important feature of Tycho, not so far mentioned, I think, is it has I believe a largely original riveted back cabin - quite a rarity on Northwich "Grand Unions".

A shame the current owner couldn't manage to agree a deal with a willing buyer when he had one, given how much he has had to drop the price since - he would have been quids in!

The boat needs an enthusiastic new owner that will do it up, and start to show it off again - it was always popular at the shows, and should be again.

Obviously that owner should not be some philistine who tries to put a K2 into it! ?

I’m sure you realise i was yanking your chain with my post there, thanks for responding so brilliantly !!! ?  

45 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I’m sure you realise i was yanking your chain with my post there, thanks for responding so brilliantly !!! ?  

I did wonder.  ;)

Surely a K3. 12 litres to break the ice.

32 minutes ago, mark99 said:

blockquote widget

For some reason I can't post without quoting someone. Blockquote widget. Blockquote widget

Bit of an odd software gremlin. Using an android phone. 

Edited by magnetman

I think this could possibly be the boat that is currently on hard standing at Hesfords yard near Lymm. It has been for sale for a long while. 

An open boat (no cabin) with a rather crude motor counter stern that would probably need chopping off to start again, to be honest. It had an SR2 sat in the back end last time I saw it.

6 minutes ago, Liam said:

I think this could possibly be the boat that is currently on hard standing at Hesfords yard near Lymm. It has been for sale for a long while. 

An open boat (no cabin) with a rather crude motor counter stern that would probably need chopping off to start again, to be honest. It had an SR2 sat in the back end last time I saw it.

If it is the one we saw when we were there last year then the "free" offer would have to be taken up by someone with deep pockets or the ability to do a lot of structural stuff themselves.

4 minutes ago, ChimneyChain said:

The lovely boat Princes Anne up for sale.

We fancy this as boat to travel around the northern canals on. 

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/narrow-boats-traditional/628147

It's been on several weeks now.

Absolutely lovely boat, but price may be optimistic, I think, in the current market.

I am pleased the owner has found the boat they were looking for to replace this one. It seems we may have just got in with Delhi before her! She had viewed twice an only found out it was under offer when trying to set up a third viewing

I feel happier that the right boat came along for her in the end. I am also pleased we beat her to our boat