Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Admiral said:

Not seen this before.  Says it's historic. 

Sentinel

With a Bolinder.  

It's the former home of the current owners of the Holland.

Kind of "historic" I guess, but arguable.

The bow is indeed "highly distinctive", but I'll leave it at that.

Interesting price, particularly as it sounds like the back cabin has been gutted to make a store room!!!

34 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

At that price the least they could do is remove the air bubbles under the wood effect lino

And you'd think they'd spell "Bolinder" correctly, given it is written on the engine and they even posted a photo!

"One of her main features is a 3-cylinder Bollinder engine"

3513295.jpg

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

And you'd think they'd spell "Bolinder" correctly, given it is written on the engine and they even posted a photo!

"One of her main features is a 3-cylinder Bollinder engine"

3513295.jpg

Had we been in the market for a boat at the moment, this one would not be on our list. Almost everything in the advert is off putting, which is quite an achievement!

1 hour ago, Admiral said:

Not seen this before.  Says it's historic. 

Sentinel

With a Bolinder.  

1976 built does not really make it "historic", even if it was built for freight carrying that lasted only 5 years.

Does anyone know who built the hull? It is a bizarre interpretation of an ice breaker bow.

Just now, David Mack said:

1976 built does not really make it "historic", even if it was built for freight carrying that lasted only 5 years.

Does anyone know who built the hull? It is a bizarre interpretation of an ice breaker bow.

Looks like a Reeves bow to my eye. 

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Looks like a Reeves bow to my eye. 

I don't think it could look much less like a Reeves bow, but the poor lighting conditions for the picture don't show it in its full glory.

It actually owes more to Hudson, possibly!

I hadn't actually looked at the pictures - I doub it's former owners, who kept it immaculate, would be too impressed.

Yes, it's Ians last boat. Was 50', then he had it extended to 70'. It's changed a bit inside since he had it.

There was an association with the Steam Boat Inn for carrying beer in barrels. SENTINEL is also slightly barrel shaped beneath the water line. Goes well.

Spent a long time at Bulbourne yard when Ian was still working for BW (as was).

4 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

I don't think it could look much less like a Reeves bow, but the poor lighting conditions for the picture don't show it in its full glory.

It actually owes more to Hudson, possibly!

I hadn't actually looked at the pictures - I doub it's former owners, who kept it immaculate, would be too impressed.

Normal Reeves no I agree. But Reeves did a few pinched looking bows, iirc their "Josher Bow" attempt.

Edited by mark99

I remember sentinel when it was at the "Boobun" yard above Maffers top lock. Owner regularly took it through the cutting giving it some oil. Went well. I think the idea was to help keep the channel a sensible shape. 

Owned by a BW employee at the time I believe. 

Edited by magnetman

22 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Looks like a Reeves bow to my 

Not Reeves, not even the squashed by double lockgates pinched front Reeves.

Front ends like this were also produced by Coulter and M&D Engineering (fitted out by MG narrowboats ..river Soar)

On 10/10/2019 at 13:59, matty40s said:

It was earlier in the year, if you look at the Jacksons fuel site, you will see why it was sold.

It was off to the Weaver when last seen.

Regarding Roach.  If it went off to the Weaver last summer, why is it still listed for sale on the Duck?  Did the new owner change their mind?

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/yarwoods-70-traditional/621111

It would be nice if someone bought her to deliver coal on her old routes.  There's certainly a gap in the market now.

5 hours ago, Markinaboat said:

Looked a bit different then Mr B!

Believe me it looked even worse when I acquired it in Hyde. Unfortunately I didn’t keep any photos but it’s briefly on film in Mykaskin’s “That Fuller do” on YouTube. It’s the odd one out, you can’t really miss it!