Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

I think anyone contemplating owning a good restored historic boat will end up shelling out about £80K. It may be cheap to start with but you can bet that it will cost shed loads of money to bring it up to scratch.   Often when a prospective purchaser does the sums and realises how much work is needed, even on well presented boats, a more realistic price is reached.

11 hours ago, OliverW said:

My first post here. Delighted to find this thread, and a secret (or at least low lying until I have a historic) HNBC member here. 

So do you think motors up for 40k realistically change hands nearer 20k?Only here to learn respectfully. Quite liked Effingham, but surprised she sold before Birmingham. 

I'd agree with Pete and Alan on all their points but would like to reinforce what has been said on restoration, our boat wasn't anywhere near delapidated but has still cost as much as the purchase price. I'd recommend a visit to a restorer such as Brinklow before looking at potential purchases to get an idea of what to expect in both defects and cost, not to mention their availability to do any necessary work. 

17 minutes ago, BWM said:

I'd agree with Pete and Alan on all their points but would like to reinforce what has been said on restoration, our boat wasn't anywhere near delapidated but has still cost as much as the purchase price. I'd recommend a visit to a restorer such as Brinklow before looking at potential purchases to get an idea of what to expect in both defects and cost, not to mention their availability to do any necessary work. 

How true.  Our historic butty cost £9K.  We've spent at least another £70K on it.

Almost exactly the same thing happened with our previous boat.

The great advantage of buying a cheap historic boat is that you can spread the restoration costs over several years.   Mind you, it's taken about 20 years to do the work on Hampton. 

• Happy 1

2 hours ago, Athy said:

Unless, perhaps, Oliver might be interested in the unique 'Elizabeth'.

I got the impression that Oliver's interest might e in an unconverted motor, but perhaps he can clarify?

I don't think anybody taking on a boat like Elizabeth can expect that the purchase price is the end of the story for the foreseeable future. I suspect the owners of Elizabeth would be happy to confirm that ongoing maintenance of any such boat will never be particularly cheap - if only because I'm absolutely sure they will want it to go to someone who loves it as they do, not to someone who will quickly watch it to go into decline.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Not sure it has had a recent mention?

Cygnus

img_2616.jpg

If I wanted an historically correct butty for Flamingo, this was the last it regularly worked with.  I think I'm too old for buttys now, though!

Narrow_Boats_At_Work_001.jpg

Not on here but has just been picked up from down south

1 minute ago, Athy said:

Was the top photo taken in the former stop-lock at Sutton's?

Yes, that's what it looks like.

As another poster says, one of the South Midland fleet recently came south to collect it and take it up to Grendon/Alvecote, and the photo is clearly from that trip.

• Greenie 1

18 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Also I'm not sure I've seen this one listed?....

St Tudno

If the chap who owned this boat for many years viewed this advert he’d have a heart attack!

A friend and I bought it from him for the value of its engine, at the time a vandalised non running JP3m. It was moored in Hyde and the local scrotes had made a real mess of the boat while the owner was in hospital. 

The plan was to scrap the hull and knackered wooden cabin and sell the engine on, but closer inspection revealed a very early Bantock converted with steel bottom and lower side “planks” in amazingly good condition. The bow was particularly shapely and the stern was original above the water line, not an ugly grafted on counter. 

I repaired a couple of bits on the engine and it ran fine, pumped many gallons of (rain) water out and moved her a few yards to a secure mooring incase the little darlings returned. She was bought from us by a well known character from the midlands, who removed the engine and sold her on again as a hull. Nice to see the old girl having a new lease of life again but I must admit that fit out isn’t to my taste at all. I prefer a boat to look like a boat, not the inside of a lap dancing club. 

19 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Also I'm not sure I've seen this one listed?....

St Tudno

I remember this when it was based in Cowley, mid 2000's. A real teabag at the stern end above the waterline. Looks like a different boat now. 

28 minutes ago, noddyboater said:

I must admit that fit out isn’t to my taste at all. I prefer a boat to look like a boat, not the inside of a lap dancing club. 

You evidently have more knowledge of lap-dancing clubs than many of us. Which features remind you of one?

I've seen this boat somewhere - perhaps at Alvecote which, looking at the main photograph, would be logical.

24 minutes ago, noddyboater said:

If the chap who owned this boat for many years viewed this advert he’d have a heart attack!

A friend and I bought it from him for the value of its engine, at the time a vandalised non running JP3m. It was moored in Hyde and the local scrotes had made a real mess of the boat while the owner was in hospital. 

The plan was to scrap the hull and knackered wooden cabin and sell the engine on, but closer inspection revealed a very early Bantock converted with steel bottom and lower side “planks” in amazingly good condition. The bow was particularly shapely and the stern was original above the water line, not an ugly grafted on counter. 

I repaired a couple of bits on the engine and it ran fine, pumped many gallons of (rain) water out and moved her a few yards to a secure mooring incase the little darlings returned. She was bought from us by a well known character from the midlands, who removed the engine and sold her on again as a hull. Nice to see the old girl having a new lease of life again but I must admit that fit out isn’t to my taste at all. I prefer a boat to look like a boat, not the inside of a lap dancing club. 

14 minutes ago, BWM said:

I remember this when it was based in Cowley, mid 2000's. A real teabag at the stern end above the waterline. Looks like a different boat now. 

It's a strange beast now!

Presumably the unfitted back end with the engine also has the length for a full back cabin to be built, ut at the moment it is all just a spray-foamed box.  Professional building of a back cabin is surprisingly expensive, so unless you are going to DIY it, that also needs factoring in on top of the substantial asking price.

There is clearly no access through to the main accommodation, (admittedly not that unusual on working boat conversions), but I'm not immediately seeing whee the escape route is from what I assume is the bedroom on the other side of that solid engine room bulkhead.

7 minutes ago, Athy said:

You evidently have more knowledge of lap-dancing clubs than many of us. Which features remind you of one?

I've seen this boat somewhere - perhaps at Alvecote which, looking at the main photograph, would be logical.

Alvecote event in 2018 certainly...

IMG_4998.JPG

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

Epping stoves and JP2’s obviously, Spearmint Rhinos are full of em.

3 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Presumably the unfitted back end with the engine also has the length for a full back cabin to be built, ut at the moment it is all just a spray-foamed box.  Professional building of a back cabin is surprisingly expensive, so unless you are going to DIY it, that also needs factoring in on top of the substantial asking price.

There is clearly no access through to the main accommodation, (admittedly not that unusual on working boat conversions), but I'm not immediately seeing whee the escape route is from what I assume is the bedroom on the other side of that solid engine room bulkhead.

It had plenty of escape routes when I briefly owned it. Through the plywood either side, or pop through the roof.. 

The only thing I wish I kept was the table cupboard from the back cabin. Very unusual Roses and Castle scene, almost etheral in style and quite old. No idea of the painter but nothing like I’ve seen before.

1 hour ago, noddyboater said:

I prefer a boat to look like a boat, not the inside of a lap dancing club. 

20 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Ye gods.. the inside is 'orrible.

The negative comments are, perhaps,  a bit unwarranted. I admit the interior is not to my choice, but most of the fittings appear to be of a decent quality, and it could be transformed quite easily into something more traditional looking. A first step would be to change all the exotic lighting to something more conventioanal, and repaint, or replace all the brightly colourd doors  with something more traditional. I alo recognise that a lot of people like white walls, but they could easily be re painted a more subdued colour if required, or the panels could be replaced with veneered ones, although that would incur some expense. Whether the boat is worth the asking price is a matter of opinion, but I find the exterior, although slightly unconventional, quite attractive.

Edited by David Schweizer

48 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

The negative comments are, perhaps,  a bit unwarranted. I admit the interior is not to my choice, but most of the fittings appear to be of a decent quality, and it could be transformed quite easily into something more traditional looking. A first step would be to change all the exotic lighting to something more conventioanal, and repaint, or replace all the brightly colourd doors  with something more traditional. I alo recognise that a lot of people like white walls, but they could easily be re painted a more subdued colour if required, or the panels could be replaced with veneered ones, although that would incur some expense. Whether the boat is worth the asking price is a matter of opinion, but I find the exterior, although slightly unconventional, quite attractive.

I’ve nothing against that style of fit out, it really suits the latest Sunseeker powerboats etc. With an obviously traditional and somewhat quirky shaped narrowboat I think it would probably sell quicker with a more conventional finish inside. An 1800’s horse boat hull and JP2 is going to appeal to a niche market but I’d say the interior is aimed at a different kind of buyer. But I don’t sell boats for a living, let’s wait and see how long it lasts at such a bargain price. 

7 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

I hadn't looked through all the pictures, but it is definitely a strange one. The towel rails for radiators are bizzare for starters, i do wonder if the water heater would function correctly with such a small volume of air too. I would assume the engine needs attention judging by the scorch marks on the air intake. 

A figure between 8 and 10 thousand would be about right for a back cabin, from a starting point like that. 

Lap dancing club. My thoughts were towards brothel, though I must confess I've never seen inside one, so it is conjecture.

The fit out is the owners choice of course, but to rip it out for something more 'boaty', would represent a considerable cost to a new owner. This is what comes of people who think modernistic designs can be fitted within old boats. The quality of workmanship may be very good, but the appeal is very limited. This is a house dwellers attempt at turning their boat into an extension of  . . . the house? But paint and fittings are comparatively cheap, but one man's meat etc.

What about that back end. Is that a faux butty attempt - a complete cock-up - or an adaptation of the original back end? Whichever, it just looks wrong, amplified by the decoration below the rubbing strake. " This is the perfect blend of old vs modern. The best of both worlds " Really?

I don't think St. Tudno would have been terribly impressed:

https://www.llandudnochurches.org.uk/sainttudno.html

Of course it wasn't actually a "butty" in the first place it was a horse drawn day boat but I do think that it would look better with a "butty style" back cabin ie significantly lower than the rest of the cabin and without gunnels. 

And it's criminal to put in a motor type elum arrangement when the old ones are so attractive. Ok a wooden one degrades but you can easily do a steel version. Maybe it's too "interesting" steering a boat with a butty type elum. 

I owned an early motorised and uncut Bantock briefly and did some boating in it. Wonderful boat that was. That had the wooden elum.  It's a shame to put steel cabins on them but I suppose it's one way of preserving the hull. 

I don't remember this one but I do remember another motorised uncut early Bantock called "Surprise" around Uxbridge early 00s with a woman who worked in Uxbridge boat centre living on it. 

Edited by magnetman

2 hours ago, ChimneyChain said:

St Tudno was tied up 100 yards north of the shovel bridge and was owed by the couple who occupied the toll house running the cafe there, 

...along with many others they kept there! Had a green, decaying timber top at that time and you could see through the stern.