Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

18 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

At Berkhamsted this weekend

163 Apsley  To Bulbourne 26th October 2019.JPG

I'm happy to be corrected, but a long while since it went anywhere I think.

It would be great to see it find a new owner and be actively loved again.

Unfortunately I think it was probably priced far too high for far too long, and that seems to mean those who would have had an interest in her have since bought elsewhere.

I do tend to think her twin is the more practical craft for everyday use...

P1020478.JPG

Edited by alan_fincher

On 01/11/2019 at 13:54, alan_fincher said:

Unfortunately I think it was probably priced far too high for far too long, and that seems to mean those who would have had an interest in her have since bought elsewhere.

I was seriously interested however there were a few who thought I did not have the integrity to be a custodian of such a vessel!!...interest in vessel has never dwindled butmy views on The Historic sector have....

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, linnit said:

I was seriously interested however there were a few who thought I did not have the integrity to be a custodian of such a vessel!!...interest in vessel has never dwindled butmy views on The Historic sector have....

I remember this and I am sorry you were exposed to these 'experts'. I have been involved with 'historic' boats since before they were 'historic' and there has always been all sorts of owners, the same as there is now. Enthusiasm, a willingness to learn and deep pockets are all that is needed - exactly the same as for any other boat :captain:

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, pete harrison said:

I remember this and I am sorry you were exposed to these 'experts'. I have been involved with 'historic' boats since before they were 'historic' and there has always been all sorts of owners, the same as there is now. Enthusiasm, a willingness to learn and deep pockets are all that is needed - exactly the same as for any other boat :captain:

Pete

Not referring to you...infact you were the only one who actively encouraged me ..thanks...however that cannot be said for others which deterred me from moving fwd..one actually intimated i could not afford it!!..must keep my bank details more secure..ha

Regards Ian

34 minutes ago, linnit said:

Pete

Not referring to you...infact you were the only one who actively encouraged me ..thanks...however that cannot be said for others which deterred me from moving fwd..one actually intimated i could not afford it!!..must keep my bank details more secure..ha

Regards Ian

Being able to afford a 'historic' boat is always a bit of an unknown, but possession is the first step at whatever the agreed price is - and after that any additional expenditure can be either in one go as a total restoration or drip feed to suit the owner. I will say that sorting out these boats carries more expense than might initially be expected, both financially and emotionally, but this is probably the same for modern boats too.

If I had bought TYCHO (mid 2016) I am sure I would have used it pretty much as it was then sorted out the things I wanted to change on the drip feed basis (cabin interior / tug deck / paint / hull work). The boat I ended up buying has turned into a pretty extensive renovation, and at considerable cost, but now the end is in sight I am already looking for my next project whether I can afford it or not (tomorrows viewing cancelled as a more likely purchaser has been found) :captain:

Edited by pete harrison
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, linnit said:

(snipped) ...however that cannot be said for others which deterred me from moving fwd..one actually intimated i could not afford it!!..

I had a similar experience when seeking a certain classic car, almost ridiculed at wanting to purchase at less than £3k, and told in no uncertain terms that I would have to pay £5 - £6k. I found what I was looking for for £2k - and that was with a spare low mileage engine!

Edited by Derek R.

I've stopped tracking any prices of historic boats, but think this one (Acacia) is probably now on at least its second reduction.  (Happy to e corrected if wrong!0

Seem to recall it starting at the eye watering price of around £90K?

Even at around  £80K still sounds expensive to me,

Gardner 4LW is not what I would want to have in a Josdher, (though no doubt it dows well!)

https://www.apolloduck.com/boat/yarwoods-70-traditional/600541

11 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

I've stopped tracking any prices of historic boats, but think this one (Acacia) is probably now on at least its second reduction.  (Happy to e corrected if wrong!0

Gardner 4LW is not what I would want to have in a Josdher, (though no doubt it dows well!)

Looks nicely fitted out and 'up together'.

I agree, but who am I to judge?, seems an ambitious asking price, but it has had lots of TLC over the years. If I had more money than I presently have I would certainly be interested. But I don't, so I'm not.

35 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Looks nicely fitted out and 'up together'.

I agree, but who am I to judge?, seems an ambitious asking price, but it has had lots of TLC over the years. If I had more money than I presently have I would certainly be interested. But I don't, so I'm not.

It used to be owned by Francis Beechey, who was a lovely man. I bought a lot of JP spares from him about 30 years ago. He sadly passed away some time ago.

12 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

A couple of years ago Acacia was offered for 65K then it was increased to 89K, then to 95K now back to 80K.  I think it's had a lot of work done recently including, if I remember rightly, a Dave Moore painted back cabin and lettering.

I personally don't think it's overpriced. 

Edited by koukouvagia

6 hours ago, koukouvagia said:

A couple of years ago Acacia was offered for 65K then it was increased to 89K, then to 95K now back to 80K.  I think it's had a lot of work done recently including, if I remember rightly, a Dave Moore painted back cabin and lettering.

The price rise happened when she changed hands last year. How much work was done before the increase in price I’m not sure, but it certainly didn’t take very long.

The current owner also bought the unconverted, bolinder powered Josher, “Dory” in the deal. Maybe he got a two for one, as Dory needed cosmetic work and the engine was seized. I heard that he will be putting her up for sale soon too, it’ll no doubt be a bargain at £100k. 

1 hour ago, noddyboater said:

The current owner also bought the unconverted, bolinder powered Josher, “Dory” in the deal. Maybe he got a two for one, as Dory needed cosmetic work and the engine was seized. I heard that he will be putting her up for sale soon too, it’ll no doubt be a bargain at £100k. 

It looks more like he is keeping DORY and selling his other unconverted Josher IBEX :captain:

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/fellows-morton-clayton-70-traditional/622118

8 hours ago, koukouvagia said:

I do not think many potential 'historic' boat owners appreciate the costs involved in producing, maintaining and renovated boats like this - and from where I am ACACIA looks to be good value, as do most of the other 'historic' narrow boats currently for sale :captain:

I knew Francis Beechey well during his tenure at Norton Canes. He put the 4 LW in after a sphincter tightening moment in a bridge hole with, I think, a JP2 , somewhat slow to respond to frantic speedwheel turns.

I did some decoration in the back cabin in the early 90s, adding lettering in 99 as we were just starting the Resolute build. I think the cabin work survives, the current lettering is by Trevor Counsell, Norbury’s resident writer.

10 hours ago, koukouvagia said:

2 hours ago, pete harrison said:

I do not think many potential 'historic' boat owners appreciate the costs involved in producing, maintaining and renovated boats like this - and from where I am ACACIA looks to be good value, as do most of the other 'historic' narrow boats currently for sale :captain:

Well I can't recall how long ago it was first advertised at Norbury, (I realise I could check, but it's late!), but clearl;y it has hung around for "some months" with significant price cuts, so I can't see oeople are exactly fighting over it.

I suppose the seller is in a position where they are in no great need to get it sold, (something the previous owner claimed as well, as it happens), so can float it for a while at fairly optimistic prices.  Most of us I guess would not be in the same situation, and might be using different strategies to shift it a bit more quickly.

2 hours ago, magnetman said:

If you are using the boat for a lot of boating including getting a move on here and there a 4LW in good condition and well installed is a seriously nice power unit. 

Maybe, but it still seems highly inappropriate to me.

I did show some interest in Acacia when we were looking, although the then owner didn't seem to have any urgency to sell.  I micht have taken it further, but for this engine, as I had set my heart that whatever we bought would have an engine that was appropriate to the boat.

I bet it goes well. 

In traditional terms it is not the "correct" engine maybe a JP2 or a Bolinders would be better but in terms of useabllity in different situations it's not too awful. 

Could be worse. It might have an air cooler Lister in it !!

I may be wrong, as I often am, but owners of air cooled Listers harp on about how simple and reliable they are, when in reality they’ve got as many inbuilt faults as anything else. Just without the water. 

But it does give the real concrete heads an excuse for being so ignorant. They actually can’t hear you making polite conversation. 

• Greenie 1

Having had both I prefer a water cooled unit with a skin tank. Although the Petter PJ4 air cooled unit was a pretty impressive beast!

Ernie Kendall on nb POACHER at Braunston turn in the mid 90s told me he much preferred the air cooled units as he had once had a fountain of hot water come out of the exhaust of a JP2 and land on him. 

POACHER had an ST3 I think.

I supppose one obvious advantage of an air cooled unit is no worries about frost damage.

Edited by magnetman
  • Greenie 1