Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

33 minutes ago, John Brightley said:

Here's Whitby and Pictor going round the turn single handed at Hawkesbury in 1980. Who it is steering I don't know though.

geograph-4358370-by-John-Brightley.jpg

A large Grand Union boat with its fore end as high as WHITBY in this image was a common sight a few years ago, many owners nowadays preferring to ballast them down a bit - which in my opinion defies the point of owning a large Grand Union boat :captain:

• Greenie 1

On 10/10/2019 at 10:11, Mike the Boilerman said:

Curious thing about the Roach listing. It says Roach has a new bottom by Ian Kemp in 2017.

I was under the impression that Ian had sadly passed away a number of years ago. Is that wrong? 

Could you be thinking of Ian Clifton Mike? He rebuilt Marcellus that used to be my home.

54 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

A large Grand Union boat with its fore end as high as WHITBY in this image was a common sight a few years ago, many owners nowadays preferring to ballast them down a bit - which in my opinion defies the point of owning a large Grand Union boat :captain:

I think that until I read tales of people having to stop and fully dismantle a cratch and take the deck board down before they can get under something low!

That does actually seem to arise quite often with unconverterted "big" boats with a deck board up, and my guess is that is why people often ballast the front down a fair bit.

14 hours ago, pete harrison said:

I think there are very few who would want to commit to an unconverted butty at £29000, especially an unfinished project. I would be very interested in pursuing HYADES but not at anywhere near this price :captain:

Yeah, same. If I were, theoretically, going to get a butty, I'd probably want a converted one, as Clypeus could be deconverted with minimal effort (given that the conversion is wooden and, at some point, will reach the end of its natural lifespan). Would be lovely to have a converted butty to live on and unconverted boat for...fun.

Camping boating in cross winds real nightmare. Once had the scouts on the towpath holding the fore end off above Shardlow  as just couldn't get enough way on to stop being blown into the bank.

for many years we had a low cratch which looked odd but the beams they put under Barton turn bridge the so called operation bridgeguard stopped a normal height board getting under.

joe skinner said when he went to the Nottingham rally that they got people out of the public to get the fore end down.

45 minutes ago, junior said:

River Class 'Blue top' butty URE for sale. Resonable price assuming it's sound.

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/e-c-jones-sons-river-class-butty/611979

Anyone know what the motor boat is behind in the photos?

Welcome back junior, long time no see! ?

50 minutes ago, junior said:

I don't, but curious it also sports some blue tops.

It always seems to me that the total number of blue tops in existence, (including the many fitted to boats never originally having them, and the many stacked in various yards), far exceeds the number that would have been required for the whole "River" fleet in the first place!

2 hours ago, junior said:

River Class 'Blue top' butty URE for sale. Resonable price assuming it's sound.

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/e-c-jones-sons-river-class-butty/611979

The motor is PELLEW, built by Brinklow Boat Services about 15 years ago as a Yarwood 'Admiral Class' remake but part converted - and powered by a correct period Parsons Merganser removed from the Nurser built pleasure boat TREES :captain:

1 minute ago, koukouvagia said:

I see it's been reduced by £2K.

Last time it was advertised on Apollo Duck (15 July 2019) there was mention of 'poured concrete' in the bottom = concerning both for the condition of the bottom / footings and the damage that could be done removing the concrete :captain:

20 hours ago, pete harrison said:

Last time it was advertised on Apollo Duck (15 July 2019) there was mention of 'poured concrete' in the bottom = concerning both for the condition of the bottom / footings and the damage that could be done removing the concrete :captain:

Is the latter a problem? The fact that the concrete is there means that anything that might be damaged removing it needs replacing anyway.

4 hours ago, David Mack said:

Is the latter a problem? The fact that the concrete is there means that anything that might be damaged removing it needs replacing anyway.

Lots of older Dutch barges have poured concrete ballast when they were converted and this was common practice. Nowadays it’s a no no and surveyors tend to advise purchasers against going ahead. It is one of the reasons there is so much doubling. There is really no way of knowing how good the preparation was and also how alkaline the mix was.

• Greenie 1

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

At Berkhamsted this weekend

163 Apsley  To Bulbourne 26th October 2019.JPG

Can't help but sing

"Her name was Lola, she was a showgirl
With yellow feathers in her hair and a dress cut down to there"

When I see that boat. Virtual B. Manillo.

Edited by mark99