Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

• 3 weeks later...

A full length Josher for "offers in excess of £10,000"???

What on earth is going on here then???

Malvern

A detailed Hull survey is available for inspection and must be read

before any offer can be made.

But it also says last survey (and blacking!) is 2014....

12 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

A full length Josher for "offers in excess of £10,000"???

What on earth is going on here then???

Malvern

But it also says last survey (and blacking!) is 2014....

It may be resting on bricks on the bottom of the canal!?

9 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

It may be resting on bricks on the bottom of the canal!?

Well they managed to move it to a different spot for the Braunston Historic Boats Weekend in June, but I do agree, someone must have discovered something horribly wrong with it, surely?

19 minutes ago, Derek R. said:

Being sold as per auction practice. Set up a low figure to attract bidders, but keep a reserve in hand. We are not told what that is, but I'm sure further enquiry would discover something more.

Don't now know what the last advertised price was - unlike Pete H, I don't keep a record.

Somewhere in the "high thirties" maybe.

This seems an odd way to go, and certainly not how Braunston Marina typically operate for boat sales.

4 minutes ago, David Mack said:

So is the detailed hull survey the one from 2014? And if so how valid is that now?

Or perhaps the price reflects a survey that says it was on the point of sinking 5 years ago, and nothing has been done since.

Don't know, I'm afraid.

We did take a brief look at Malvern when it was for sale elsewhere in early 2014.

The asking price then was £48K, and whilst it had the potential to be a nice boat, it looked quite run down.  I get the imression not much has been done t it since, but I could be wrong.

49 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Don't now know what the last advertised price was - unlike Pete H, I don't keep a record.

Although I am aware that MALVERN has been for sale at Braunston for the past 18 months or so I have not tracked its price. Back in August 2018 the asking price was £49.950 :captain:

edit = back in May 2013 MALVERN was advertised via Apollo Duck / Musk Marine Sales, Harefield at £57,995.

Edited by pete harrison

8 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

Although I am aware that MALVERN has been for sale at Braunston for the past 18 months or so I have not tracked its price. Back in August 2018 the asking price was £49.950 :captain:

edit = back in May 2013 MALVERN was advertised via Apollo Duck / Musk Marine Sales, Harefield at £57,995.

Yes, this post confirms the near £50K asking price at Braunston....

When we looked at Malvern at Harefield in Jan 2014, it was £48K

IMAG0162.jpg

Just had a walk round Braunston. Malvern looks very run down from the outside. In fact very neglected. The sale notice says £10000 and says work to hull needed and survey is from 2014. Perhaps that’s why it didn’t sell then as the survey showed up a major problem. 5 more years won’t have helped but without seeing the survey theres no way of knowing what’s wrong but must be the bottom and possibly the footings.

57 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

That was roughly when we had a look round the outside, no key being available. It was run down then, with ugly windows, some portholes on the right side, and the AS2 is a lovely engine, but a probable money pit.

10k may be a fair price to pay if the bottom/sides/footings need replacing.Strip the boat out, new steelwork,refit with new interior,equipment,repaint and then you have a converted butty with a not very nice counter worth at most say £50k. Possibly a project but you would have to love the boat to do it and spend more than it is worth. You would have historic sides but not much else unless you spent mega bucks on a faithful restoration.

27 minutes ago, Mike Adams said:

10k may be a fair price to pay if the bottom/sides/footings need replacing.Strip the boat out, new steelwork,refit with new interior,equipment,repaint and then you have a converted butty with a not very nice counter worth at most say £50k. Possibly a project but you would have to love the boat to do it and spend more than it is worth. You would have historic sides but not much else unless you spent mega bucks on a faithful restoration.

This is very close to the mark from what I heard from someone who would know, but 'off the record'. Some sort of engine problem too. 

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

I've had a letter from Braunston Marina, to the effect that as I have previously taken a boat to the historic boat gathering, would I be interested in taking Malvern off their hands for £10k.

Yes,

I believe they have mailed all recent attendees of the historic boat gathering.

I pointed out very politely to them that using personal data supplied for purposes not connected with selling boats for the purposes of selling boats is quite probably a breech of GDPR regulations.

I'm not at all sure the boat will only make £10K, or close to that -  they have apparently had a fair amount of interest, and are clearly trying hard to get the best price for a boat that sounds like it will have left the sellers seriously out of pocket.

EDIT:

We have literally just been told that Malvern is now sold.

I wonder if we will get to hear how much it costs to sort it out?

Edited by alan_fincher

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

They didn't mail me, the bar stewards! 

I'm gonna complain the GDPR....

Wrote to me too but I did also enquire before I got letter that morning, but no on all seriousness they should not have put a letter out, they should have waited till the next hnbc mag or put in the next towpath or put on this site, not written letters but at the same time it's no diffrent from junk letters ect, and they have not sold your details just used internally but I do agree that the details we have given is for the show and not for a advertisement or for further future sales ect

We got the letter.

Looking for a shallower draft dotage boat

did the maths.

loose stern ( looks unsympathetic

repair hull after shortening 

remove top and remodel ( hate bus windows)

get decent engine

refit

paint

didnt make an offer...

hopefully new owner will not do that as she is a chunk of history as is.

10 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

They didn't mail me, the bar stewards! 

I'm gonna complain the GDPR....

Even I got one and my boat has not made it to the Braunston show yet (but it has been booked in for the last two occasions - next year perhaps).

I took MALVERN around the parade at Braunston back in June 2007 :captain: