Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

59 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

ANVIL

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/bantock-bros-57-butty/616901

Confusingly there are two B.C.N. day boat conversions called ANVIL, and both converted at about the same time and both have Lister engines. Fortunately these conversions are quite different in their construction as one retains both of its original ends and is fitted with anti-cavitation plates whereas the other has a welded counter stern :captain:

It might retain both original ends, but is not like anything I have ever seen described as a Bantock before.

Surely Bantock normally refers to a type where the front end is a very different shapre from the back end?

The other "Anvil" is a most weird and wonderful thing, which seems to have had its hull sides cut down from the top for most of its length.

2 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

It might retain both original ends, but is not like anything I have ever seen described as a Bantock before.

Surely Bantock normally refers to a type where the front end is a very different shapre from the back end?

In recent years 'Bantock' seems to have become a generic term for any iron B.C.N. day boat, and usually applied incorrectly of course :captain: 

21 minutes ago, Derek R. said:

Indeed. 20hp is quite adequate for most canals and rivers, even for 70ft boats.

Gardner 4LK engines are selling for between £4,000 and £14,000, and second hand BUKH DV20's can be had for less than £2,000.

I was thinking of a dv36, as rivers can be a bit excitable

You planning on shooting some rapids? We've done the tidal Trent with 20hp in a 62ft boat and kept up with others of the same length with 36hp. They were giving it all they had too. A lot depends on prop size matched to engine torque and rpm, along with hull shapes and length x breadth ratios. Never done rivers in flood though, something to steer clear of.

• Greenie 1

Fmc beech, been for sale for a very long time, needs 3/4 - 2/3 of bottoms replacing,

It's not had any major work sence ken ward died.

Was at 15k then 22k then slowly coming back down.

I offered 5-8 4 months before buying towy

14 minutes ago, billybobbooth said:

I ment to play with and have in a boat

It doesn't appear to have a reversing gear. 

Getting a two stroke hot bulb twin engine to run backwards to stop the boat must be a right palava, if possible at all.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
Add a bit

37 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

So if it's a hard conversion with cloths over the posh bit I can think of at least three bits of permanent infrastructure it'll struggle to get under.

Edited by zenataomm
No natural light in the attic