Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

20 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Remind us what the asking price was the last time around?

It doesn't sound a lot for a converted boat - I wonder what we are not being told!

The last advertised price I have was £48000 in May 2014, and a year earlier it was £50000 - but I do not know how much it sold for :captain:

3 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

The last advertised price I have was £48000 in May 2014, and a year earlier it was £50000 - but I do not know how much it sold for :captain:

Thanks!

Those numbers are what I thought I remembered.

£35,000 now?

I wonder how much is a downturn in prices generally, or wat the issue(s) could be with this particular boat.

10 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I too thought the advert disappointingly sketchy.

There was a fuller description of Bournemouth on an earlier Apolloduck advertisement when four £12K shares were being offered.

Historic Ex Grand Union Canal Carrying boat, 71'6" big Woolwich town class built 1937 by Harland & Wolfe, bought in 1965 from British Waterways by current family. Full length metal cabin conversion comfortably fitted out and ready to go. Double cabin with basin, bathroom with shower (new last year), and portapotti toilet. Open plan galley, living room with pull out double bed, gas cooker, gas water and central heating via Optimus boiler, has 240v circuit, outdoor sitting area in bows. Traditional boatman’s cabin, original layout with range cooker. Original National diesel engine with Brumpton gear box, full working order. In current ownership the following work has also been completed:, metal end cabin and gunwales, new counter with weed hatch has been lowered to decrease draft, engine re-built, bottom over-plated, dry docked every 4 years, last 2010, with report available by Malcolm Braine. Good condition throughout.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, koukouvagia said:

There was a fuller description of Bournemouth on an earlier Apolloduck advertisement when four £12K shares were being offered.

Historic Ex Grand Union Canal Carrying boat, 71'6" big Woolwich town class built 1937 by Harland & Wolfe, bought in 1965 from British Waterways by current family. Full length metal cabin conversion comfortably fitted out and ready to go. Double cabin with basin, bathroom with shower (new last year), and portapotti toilet. Open plan galley, living room with pull out double bed, gas cooker, gas water and central heating via Optimus boiler, has 240v circuit, outdoor sitting area in bows. Traditional boatman’s cabin, original layout with range cooker. Original National diesel engine with Brumpton gear box, full working order. In current ownership the following work has also been completed:, metal end cabin and gunwales, new counter with weed hatch has been lowered to decrease draft, engine re-built, bottom over-plated, dry docked every 4 years, last 2010, with report available by Malcolm Braine. Good condition throughout.

That's so much better.

I wonder why the vendor changed their approach.  It's almost as if they just got fed up with the whole process and threw together the quickest group of words that could possibly suffice.

On ‎08‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 17:40, pete harrison said:

This advert has been altered (yesterday I think) to HYADES only, so does this mean HYPERION has sold ?

It is of the utmost importance that somebody buys HYADES quite quickly as I am so so tempted (but not at £29k and needing further works), but it would be irresponsible of me to enquire after this boat before my current boat is completed - and I really cant afford a butty. Aaaaagghhhhhhhhh :captain: 

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, pete harrison said:

This advert has been altered (yesterday I think) to HYADES only, so does this mean HYPERION has sold ?

It is of the utmost importance that somebody buys HYADES quite quickly as I am so so tempted (but not at £29k and needing further works), but it would be irresponsible of me to enquire after this boat before my current boat is completed - and I really cant afford a butty. Aaaaagghhhhhhhhh :captain: 

Pete, you're hard into the middle of an existing restoration.

You're never sure of what problems (equally boat or life orientated) may be around the corner to complicate your plans.

When I bought my butty I couldn't initially get moorings near my motor and spent time I could have been boating visiting them alternatively just to keep an eye on them.

So …… when are you visiting it for a gander?

18 hours ago, zenataomm said:

Pete, you're hard into the middle of an existing restoration.

You're never sure of what problems (equally boat or life orientated) may be around the corner to complicate your plans.

When I bought my butty I couldn't initially get moorings near my motor and spent time I could have been boating visiting them alternatively just to keep an eye on them.

So …… when are you visiting it for a gander?

I am hopeful that the worst of the restoration is over, with the taking apart finished and the rebuilding now under way. I am sure there will still be one or two surprises, but I do not think they will present too much of a problem.

A busy work schedule will prevent me having 'a gander' in the immediate future, especially as HYADES is a long way from where I live. Hopefully it will sell to somebody who can care for it properly, and not motorise it as unconverted Grand Union buttys are getting few and far between. I will have to weigh up the pro's and con's of HYADES as there are a number of things I do not like (one being the price), but I think it has the potential to be quite a nice little boat :captain:

I totally agree, and I think you deserve a slice of single motoring for a while to run her in and enjoy the work so far.

You've got plenty of time to complicate your life with double dockings and buttying through, taking longer to get anywhere ….

So before next weekend then?

2 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

I totally agree, and I think you deserve a slice of single motoring for a while to run her in and enjoy the work so far.

You've got plenty of time to complicate your life with double dockings and buttying through, taking longer to get anywhere ….

So before next weekend then?

Tuesday I reckon, to avoid the traffic and when the bank is open ...

If anyone is looking at Hyades and needs somewhere to moor her we would happily offer a reduced mooring for her at Langley Mill Boatyard as we like to see ourselves as a butty haven. Too many are being chopped these days and I think it is important to preserve them as much as possible.

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, stagedamager said:

If anyone is looking at Hyades and needs somewhere to moor her we would happily offer a reduced mooring for her at Langley Mill Boatyard as we like to see ourselves as a butty haven. Too many are being chopped these days and I think it is important to preserve them as much as possible.

You should cross breed them, you could end up with a ….

Small Josherwich

or

Middle Ricky

39 minutes ago, fittie said:

I do like Tycho...and if money was no issue I would have her like a shot, I must go and get a lottery ticket you'll never know...

Me too, but buying Tycho would generate an awful conundrum.

Do I keep the boat authentic and carry on paying extra licence and mooring fees and cruising about with the massive and redundant ice ram impediment? Or cut it off and store it in the hold (so the next owner can weld it back on again) thus making it a better boat in all ways and suffer almost universal condemnation from the armchair rivet counting brigade?

I wouldn't mind betting this is putting off more than just me as a potential buyer. 

44 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Me too, but buying Tycho would generate an awful conundrum.

Do I keep the boat authentic and carry on paying extra licence and mooring fees and cruising about with the massive and redundant ice ram impediment? Or cut it off and store it in the hold (so the next owner can weld it back on again) thus making it a better boat in all ways and suffer almost universal condemnation from the armchair rivet counting brigade?

I wouldn't mind betting this is putting off more than just me as a potential buyer. 

The ice ram would have had its uses trying to navigate through Brownsover (Rugby) just now!

I think anybody who bought the boat and cut it off would find themselves pilloried, (rightly in my view).