Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

7 hours ago, pete harrison said:

Thank you for these updates, and what I presume is a recent photograph :captain:

edit - my records must have gone awry somewhere as I photographed METEOR at Langley Mill on 21 April 2004 when it appeared to be a camping boat paired with BANSTEAD, and I have METEOR as being sold in June 2006 (with BANSTEAD sold in August 2004). 

You are quite right. It is my memory that is awry. Meteor is now back on the mooring on which you saw her in 2004. Regards, HughC.

7 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

And how close is the "asking" now getting to what you would have paid for it Pete, if you could have struck that deal? :captain:

25 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

And how close is the "asking" now getting to what you would have paid for it Pete, if you could have struck that deal? :captain:

Very slightly less than it is advertised for now, and I made my figure clear to the seller at that time (August 2016) :captain:

edit = I find it ironic that the two boats I hankered after the most when for sale in 2016 are now back on the market, these being EFFINGHAM and TYCHO. Both of these boats are not run of the mill 'historic' narrow boats, and although I hope they sell quickly I can't help feeling that they will need an owner who is after something a bit different - and both EFFINGHAM and TRENT No. 5 are proving these potential owners are few and far between as they have remained for sale for ages and with their asking prices tumbling.

Edited by pete harrison

I do feel that the market for unconverted "historics" is a bit in the doldrums at the moment.

I would also have have expected more "standard" offering like "Birmingham" to have found new a new owner by now.

2 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I do feel that the market for unconverted "historics" is a bit in the doldrums at the moment.

I would also have have expected more "standard" offering like "Birmingham" to have found new a new owner by now.

HAMPSTEAD has sold though, being taken away by its new owner about two weeks ago :captain:

On 10/08/2019 at 00:28, zenataomm said:

Nice looking boat, I've always admired her.

For that price I'd expect to be reading  about new bottoms/footings or uxter plate.

And whoever thought that sawing a tractor tyre in half and fighting it so it fitted down over the stem post would be a sensible and attractive addition!? Beats me.

Was it this boat that had a broken stem post?

53 minutes ago, BWM said:

Was it this boat that had a broken stem post?

It hit a lock wall in either Brentford or Limehouse and did some damage. I think it was all repaired properly though.

• Greenie 1

8 hours ago, Admiral said:

It hit a lock wall in either Brentford or Limehouse and did some damage. I think it was all repaired properly though.

I know her back end was thin as once on a trip to the port it sprung a leak and when repairing the hole was getting bigger and bigger

21 hours ago, billybobbooth said:

keep coming down! what a boat, one of the few on my list, only thing I dont like is the blue tops. but love she still has the ram. but it's still too high for me

Your list of a few seems to be getting bigger all the time, not mention more metallic as well.

If I had been successful with my offer for TYCHO then my intent was to replace the blue tops with a deck, so returning it to a fully decked icebreaking tug - but whether I would have gone back to the wooden deck I am not sure. I would also have refitted the table cupboard and bed'ole as I am not keen on the day boat look. 

I am more than happy with how this all worked out as I have a different boat now, and one I can still make my mark on, so I wish the seller TYCHO and the future owner all the best :captain:

not really my list normslly only gets shorter a boats sell and get changed, but the odd boat that's out there brakes my normal boat feelings or wants tycho being one.

my normal list is unconverted or very little convertion (bits that just lift out with no real care needed e.g. lift out a table ect) with wood where wood should be, same material bottom, good copy of the cabin (unless its original the if replaced copied). or if still working or been retired reasontly as is. but I also like something diffrent or indervidual, ben, tycho, sharpness, birchills (tug)

14 hours ago, mark99 said:

Listen - can you hear Derek counting up his money?  :)

Stop it . . . . I'm trying to count.

No chance I'm afraid. Nice to see the Larbert fitted though.

I do wonder if when used as a maintenance/ice boat that the original table cupboard and cross bed would have simply been left in situ. TYCHO would have been just six years old and fitted with all the usual fittings. I cannot see any advantage in removing such fittings when all that was required was a shortened boat and re-inforced fore end. At a time when we were at war, the provision would have been to get the job done as quiclkly as possible without faffing about removing said fittings, I feel pretty certain they would have been left as was. But this is 78yrs later.

Maybe I should build a model of TYCHO - as she was in 1999. No mooring fees, no insurance, no CoC, no anglers. No boating either, but even that has changed.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, pete harrison said:

Remind us what the asking price was the last time around?

It doesn't sound a lot for a converted boat - I wonder what we are not being told!

59 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

It doesn't sound a lot for a converted boat - I wonder what we are not being told!

Well for a start the calorifier needs an expansion vessel and other stuff doing. Owners had me look at it a few years ago, I ordered the parts then they failed to respond to my calls to say parts now in stock. 

Might not be the current owners to be fair. 

Isn't this one that Malcolm Braine messed about with the counter on, to reduce the draft? No solid fuel stove and far too many windows. Good boat and nice engine otherwise. 

5 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

We are not being told very much at all. I still wonder at people who go to the bother of advertising a boat without giving more information and sharing more photos. It is being sold as being suitable to live aboard (for a family) but how many and what configuration of berths are there. Mike has told us there is no soild fuel stove but otherwise we wouldn't have a clue. It always seems such a waste of effort to advertise something with such a lack of information.

5 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Well for a start the calorifier needs an expansion vessel and other stuff doing. Owners had me look at it a few years ago, I ordered the parts then they failed to respond to my calls to say parts now in stock. 

Might not be the current owners to be fair. 

Isn't this one that Malcolm Braine messed about with the counter on, to reduce the draft? No solid fuel stove and far too many windows. Good boat and nice engine otherwise. 

I may be mistaken but i was under the impression that the entire hull had been reduced in height by cutting the bottom few inches off?

9 minutes ago, BWM said:

I may be mistaken but i was under the impression that the entire hull had been reduced in height by cutting the bottom few inches off?

dont let any high members of CRT find out they will want us all to do this

11 minutes ago, BWM said:

Thought it was the other eay round - a second counter had been added below the uxter plate to allow the stern to float higher in the water.  And presumably reduce the maximum prop size.

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

Thought it was the other eay round - a second counter had been added below the uxter plate to allow the stern to float higher in the water.  And presumably reduce the maximum prop size.

Ah that's what I was thinking of. Boat does look unnaturally high in the water IIRC.

Big project to put it back to original. Might be why it is cheap.