Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Just now, Captain Pegg said:

It’s definitely modified. Have you seen it in the flesh?

JP

You know, I can't remember. I've seen so many pictures of it, and cruised past it's mooring in Tyseley. 

Richard

1 minute ago, RLWP said:

You know, I can't remember. I've seen so many pictures of it, and cruised past it's mooring in Tyseley. 

Richard

I had a good look in passing once. I’m confident there’s a conventional shaped bow behind the new prow. I guess it could be a modified shell rather than a modified second hand boat though.

JP

Just now, Captain Pegg said:

a modified second hand boat though.

JP

From the roof shape and handrail, I think that's exactly what it is

The handrail didn't extend all the way along the roof at one time

Richard

2 hours ago, Dav and Pen said:

Has something changed at Napton. I never actually measured Tadworth but it certainly went up napton loaded and empty many times and I always thought all grand unions were same length. Width might spread and they are not all straight which has caused problems in the napton flight.

Just found classes and noticed it was width not length. Apologies

Jaguar got stuck at Marston Doles Bottom, loaded.  Just once.  Had to flush her in.  Luckily Esme was there.

2 hours ago, RLWP said:

I still can't decide if this is all new or a modified boat. Early pictures of it certainly looked like it was an older shell extended

Richard

Are we talking about the same vessel? The electric powered Dutch Barge styled (? absolutely nothing Dutch about it) narrow boat with the diesel outboard fpr sale at £100,000? If so, the advert staes it was built in 2015 using "British steel" - this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/123821786931

5 hours ago, Dav and Pen said:

Has something changed at Napton. I never actually measured Tadworth but it certainly went up napton loaded and empty many times and I always thought all grand unions were same length. Width might spread and they are not all straight which has caused problems in the napton flight.

Just found classes and noticed it was width not length. Apologies

Not all.  Cassiopaeia is at least 3" overlength.

George

34 minutes ago, Derek R. said:

Are we talking about the same vessel? The electric powered Dutch Barge styled (? absolutely nothing Dutch about it) narrow boat with the diesel outboard fpr sale at £100,000? If so, the advert staes it was built in 2015 using "British steel" - this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/123821786931

Yes

Richard

47 minutes ago, Derek R. said:

Also, remarkably shallow draughted to say it's carrying all those traction batteries.

Almost like it can't be true......

22 hours ago, pete harrison said:

Interesting that they are described as iron. I thought GU boats from the 30s were steel ( some with wood bottoms).

Nice pair of boats. 

On 03/07/2019 at 21:13, ChimneyChain said:
70ft Fellows, Morton & Clayton 'Josher'      

610816_6.jpg?1562163976
610816_1.jpg?1562163976

Interesting that this pair come up, closely followed by Hyperion and Hyades minus the fuel selling equipment and business......is someone wanting somewhere a bit posher to live(Venice)......?

Edited by matty40s

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

Interesting that they are described as iron. I thought GU boats from the 30s were steel ( some with wood bottoms).

Nice pair of boats. 

Older GU boats were iron and wood then they move on to steel and wood and the all steel. Oh, and some were all wood.

Edited by fittie
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, fittie said:

Older GU boats were iron and wood then they move on to steel and wood and the all steel. Oh, and some were all wood.

Thanks for that. I had previously thought the 1930s Harland and Wolff boats metal hull plating was steel not iron. Obviously GU boats were also built with wooden hulls but its the Woolwich boats detail I was not previously aware of. 

Edited by magnetman

3 minutes ago, Derek R. said:

And the historic relevance is ?

God knows - why is the boat being discussed here in the first place?

All I was saying was, it isn't all new, from what I have seen it's a modified used boat - not an historic

Richard

1 hour ago, RLWP said:

God knows - why is the boat being discussed here in the first place?

All I was saying was, it isn't all new, from what I have seen it's a modified used boat - not an historic

Richard

Aaah! That was biscuits that dropped that one in here. For amusement I expect.

17 minutes ago, Derek R. said:

Aaah! That was biscuits that dropped that one in here. For amusement I expect.

I'll give him a good kick for both of us next time I see him

Richard