Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

This is my experience too. Not sure I ever need to stand up straight in one and it always puzzles my why so many people find it such an issue.

I can stand between roof beams and gear/speed rods which is handy when getting dressed etc, but as you say not essential. The only back cabin I’ve been in which had full headroom (hydraulic drive), wasn’t very nice as all the proportions are wrong. 

3 hours ago, noddyboater said:

Of course that’s just the back cabin, everything forward of that you’ll be fine, and it’s a small price for having such a vessel. I’d suggest getting something with a nice heavy lump, a jp3 maybe, and a draught around 3’.

Just don't try bringing it up the bloody Rochdale....

... never again!!!

• Greenie 1

A proper back cabin has the prop shaft under the floor and gear and throttle shafts below the ceiling.  That don't leave much room for standing up, whatever height you are.  Why do you want to stand up, anyway ?

• Greenie 1

It is accepted that the headroom in a back cabin is always going to be low but Delhi/Dehli has a lot of cabin that is not back cabin and it would be good to be able to stand up in that part.

That was the bit I was enquiring about.

I suspect what I really need to do is make enquiries about the cost of surgical procedures to shorten one's legs ;)

1 hour ago, Chris Williams said:

A proper back cabin has the prop shaft under the floor and gear and throttle shafts below the ceiling.  That don't leave much room for standing up, whatever height you are.  Why do you want to stand up, anyway ?

To warm your bare backside on the range, obviously. 

8 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Just don't try bringing it up the bloody Rochdale....

... never again!!!

Oh that explains a picture I saw recently with half of Lancashire trying to pull Flamingo off some mud.....  :)

1 hour ago, mark99 said:

Oh that explains a picture I saw recently with half of Lancashire trying to pull Flamingo off some mud.....  :)

And quite possibly failing...

... we did the Rochdale a few years ago in a "sensible" boat, but in Flamingo it is an order of magnitude harder, (honestly!).

Edited by alan_fincher

10 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

And quite possibly failing...

... we did the Rochdale a few years ago in a "sensible" boat, but in Flamingo it is an order of magnitude harder, (honestly!).

Only the one... ?

39 minutes ago, koukouvagia said:

I used to like "Elizabeth", (as it was called before "re-branding") when it was a very basic boat on our local patch.

However at this price...

Edited by alan_fincher

On 08/06/2019 at 22:07, pete harrison said:

Alvecote Marina website / brokerage is now showing BIRMINGHAM as deposit taken.

Equally of interest is the Alvecote Marina Facebook page which shows KENT on the dock at Grendon yesterday, now deconverted and carrying Barlows lettering :captain:

yes they got a steal with Kent!

• 2 weeks later...

Back in the 70's everyone was busy putting conversions onto working boats.  That meant a lot of redundant masts, stands, etc..

I found a market for these in canalside pubs.  I wonder how many are still around?  Or have they been burnt, with all that nice lead-based paint.

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/06/2019 at 13:12, Chris Williams said:

So the back cabin on my boat wasn't proper, then? ?

edit: and even more pedantically, butty back cabins aren't "proper" either?

Edited by FadeToScarlet

On 22/06/2019 at 19:00, Rob-M said:

Kent has just gone past me at Colwich.

from what I saw there doing a good job, I was on the edge of putting in an offer but couldn't justify price with the engine being shot as 2 wooden boats is fine but both with engine problems would have got me shot

53 minutes ago, billybobbooth said:

from what I saw there doing a good job, I was on the edge of putting in an offer but couldn't justify price with the engine being shot as 2 wooden boats is fine but both with engine problems would have got me shot

Having chatted with the new owner the engine was a simple repair.

3 hours ago, FadeToScarlet said:

So the back cabin on my boat wasn't proper, then? ?

edit: and even more pedantically, butty back cabins aren't "proper" either?

What was different about your boat?  Could you stand up in the cabin? 

Buttys don't normally have prop shafts or throttle shafts, so the comment doesn't apply to them.

• Greenie 1

70ft Fellows, Morton & Clayton 'Josher'      
£38,000

UK Narrow Boats > Traditional For Sale 

Virginia Currer Marine Ltd
Virginia Currer Marine Ltd
The Boatyard, Mansion Lane, Iver, Buckinghamshire, SL0 9RG, UK
Telephone: Reveal Telephone Number
Mobile: Reveal Mobile Phone Number
  View All Virginia Currer Marine Ltd Listings
610816_6.jpg?1562163976
610816_1.jpg?1562163976
610816_2.jpg?1562163976
610816_3.jpg?1562163976
610816_4.jpg?1562163976
610816_5.jpg?1562163976
610816_6.jpg?1562163976
610816_1.jpg?1562163976

£38,000  |  AED ALL AMD ANG ARS AUD AZN BBD BDT BGN BHD BIF BMD BND BOB BRL BSD BWP BYR BZD CAD CDF CHF CLP CNY COP CRC CVE CYP CZK DJF DKK DOP DZD ECS EGP ERN ETB EUR FJD FKP GBP GEL GHS GIP GMD GNF GTQ GYD HKD HNL HRK HTG HUF IDR ILS INR IQD IRR ISK JMD JOD JPY KES KGS KHR KMF KRW KRW KYD KZT LAK LBP LKR LSL LTL LVL LYD MAD MDL MGA MKD MMK MNT MOP MRO MUR MVR MWK MXN MYR MZN NAD NGN NIO NOK NPR NZD OMR PAB PEN PHP PKR PLN PYG QAR RON RSD RUB RWF SAR SBD SCR SDG SEK SGD SHP SIT SOS SRD STD SYP THB TND TOP TRY TWD TZS UAH UGX USD UYU VEF VND WST XCD XOF XPF YER ZAR ZMK   

[View Map
Reference: Falcon
Contact Seller

Optional: Sign in to save this enquiry in your account

Characters: 0 

Description

History
Falcon, the motor boat, was built by Fellows, Morton and Clayton Ltd (FMC) and first registered in September 1926. FMC was the biggest general canal carrying firm in Britain in the first half of the 20th Century, carrying all sorts of goods, both perishable and non-perishable, including coal, steel, minerals, timber, foodstuffs and so on. Their craft were known for their pleasing lines, still much admired even today, and nicknamed "Joshers" after their designer, Joshua Fellows.
After Nationalisation in 1948, the Falcon was based in the Northwest and used mainly for maintenance duties. She was acquired by Willow Wren who wished to re-establish commercial canal transport but the bitter winter freeze-up of 1963 immobilised their fleet for 6 weeks, long enough for most of their trade to be permanently lost to road transport. They had renamed her "Sandpiper" and fitted her with a Lister SR3 and she continued to earn her living for Willow Wren, based in Rugby, as a holiday camping boat. The current owner bought her from Willow Wren in January 1981 and kept her on the Leek Arm of the Caldon Canal until she went in the early 1980s to Ian Kemp at Ellesmere Port for a complete restoration to the original FMC build and decor, minus the elm bottom, which had been replaced by Willow Wren with a rivetted steel bottom, using the original chines. A Lister JP2 was bought from an ex-Waterways employee in Middlewich and fitted during the restoration which was complete by 1986 and featured in the Waterways World magazine.

Falcon is paired up with the butty Venice and would be ideal to be sold together, The pair toured much of the canal system between their maiden "voyage" together in 2004 until 2013, when they moved from Saltford near Bath to their current base at London.

Specifications

Builder: Fellows Morton Clayton
Make: Fellows Morton Clayton
Model: 70 Traditional
Year constructed: 1926 
No. of engines: 1
Engine model: Lister JP
Fuel type: Diesel
Length over all: 70'
Beam: 7' 

Engine(s)

Engine: Lister JP  
Inverter: Pure sine wave 1000w
Charger: Sterling 24amp
Solar panels on roof

Construction

Material / build: Rivetted Steel  

Traditional Boatman’s cabin at the aft end, Traditional canvas covering the rest of the vessel, this as been partially refitted with wood structure, windows and white painted Tongue and groove. 

Interior. 

The interior is partially converted, currently comprises a solid fuel stove, sink, water tank and materials. Fully fitted boatman’s cabin at the aft end.

This boat has not been cleared and personal possessions will be removed prior to sale.

Certification

Virginia Currer Marine Ltd are professional brokers, and are full accredited members of:-

ABYA - Association of Brokers and Yacht Agents  
BMF - British Marine Federation  
BRBA - Boat Retailers and Brokers Association 

BUYING THROUGH AN ACCREDITED BROKER AFFORDS A HIGH LEVEL OF BUYER PROTECTION

Edited by ChimneyChain
Can’t just copy a link sorry