Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

On 29/04/2019 at 12:58, ChimneyChain said:

I believe this to be heron or what was listed as such in the bw auctions some years ago as looks like Paul Barbers work to stern and cabin plus bow. 

The HERON I knew was a Station boat that originally carried a different name. Back in 1979 it was still 70' with a butty stern. It could have been cut up, or this could be a different HERON - if HERON it is/was.

I suggest taking a further look at other items in the 'Dream On' boat sales link. There are some wonderful images of Paris during the floods of 1910; construction of concrete boats in 1918; and a 'Village' of former Peniche cabins. A small part of the text from the latter:

The "Morocco". It's now like a district of Gennevilliers. But no relation with the white cities of Fez, Telouan or Tangier. There, a population of mixed races swarms, which, moreover, give a reciprocal proof of a laudable pacifism. Moroccans, Spaniards, Japanese, Chinese, Italians live in good neighborhood. They are lodged, some in cabins disused barges mounted with makeshift means.
They too are exploited. I entered one of these cabins. It was inhabited by a son of heaven whose slanting eyes let out flashes of mischief. He smoked a huge cigar cheaply.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Derek R. said:

The HERON I knew was a Station boat that originally carried a different name. Back in 1979 it was still 70' with a butty stern. It could have been cut up, or this could be a different HERON - if HERON it is/was.

I can confirm that Willow Wren’s Heron, said to be the ex-station boat Caleb, is still full length with butty stern and here in Oxford.

BW had a different Heron formed partly from the stern end of another station boat which they sold by auction a few years back.  It has been suggested that this is the stern end of Delhi but I have no idea if it is the boat now for sale.

Paul

2 hours ago, Paul H said:

I can confirm that Willow Wren’s Heron, said to be the ex-station boat Caleb, is still full length with butty stern and here in Oxford.

BW had a different Heron formed partly from the stern end of another station boat which they sold by auction a few years back.  It has been suggested that this is the stern end of Delhi but I have no idea if it is the boat now for sale.

Paul

I can confirm the two HERON's created from L.M.S.R. 'Station Boats', one with a complete hull and the other from a redundant stern end.

There is absolutely no evidence that the HERON made from the redundant L.M.S.R. 'Station Boat' stern end into a British Waterways Board maintenance boat is that from DELHI, although clearly it is a possibility - the same that there is a possibility it could have come from several other of these boats. Some years ago I went through the original British Transport Waterways records that captures DELHI's conversion into the hire cruiser WATER VIPER, and as a result of the monumental cost of conversion (£3459 in 1960) there was a very clear instruction that the stern of DELHI was not to be converted. What happened to the stern end of DELHI I do not know, but there are plenty of enthusiasts - including an archivist who should know better - who are very happy to put two and two together (based upon opinion, elimination and assumption) and write their own version of history - resulting in two L.M.S.R. 'Station Boat' stern ends claiming to be that of DELHI :captain:

I knew there was some doubt which is why I used the term “suggested.”  An incorrect assertion is often taken later to be fact.  A particular irritation is the often repeated “fact” that Paragon is ex-Rival which it clearly cant be unless the boat was able to be in two places at once!

Paul

The narrowboat Dreamon has been abandoned on the canal lateral Loire for a long time. According to the text to use it in France it would need a es-trin certificate as it’s over 20m. The other qualifying measurement is 100 cu m which it doesn’t meet. Afraid it’s probably scrap. I know of one other narrow boat on the Burgundy canal that’s been abandoned for 3 years. 

20 minutes ago, Dav and Pen said:

The narrowboat Dreamon has been abandoned on the canal lateral Loire for a long time. 

I'll look out for it - we shall be on that canal in 3 weeks' time.

Is it a historic boat?

20 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

If someone wants a RN they could probably have a 70 foot boat as well for less than the price  paid for the engine when new. but its up for auction tomorrow http://dreamonnarrowboat.blogspot.com/2019/04/qui-sauvera-le-bearly-afloat-un.html

It states sold for 2900 EU

8 hours ago, pete harrison said:

There is absolutely no evidence that the HERON made from the redundant L.M.S.R. 'Station Boat' stern end into a British Waterways Board maintenance boat is that from DELHI,

but there are plenty of enthusiasts - including an archivist who should know better - who are very happy to put two and two together (based upon opinion, elimination and assumption) and write their own version of history

8 hours ago, Paul H said:

I knew there was some doubt which is why I used the term “suggested.”  An incorrect assertion is often taken later to be fact.  A particular irritation is the often repeated “fact” that Paragon is ex-Rival which it clearly cant be unless the boat was able to be in two places at once!

Paul

Paul - my comment above regarding HERON was not aimed at you :captain:

4 hours ago, Athy said:

I'll look out for it - we shall be on that canal in 3 weeks' time.

Is it a historic boat?

It does not appear to be a boat of historical interest to me, and neither is the Russell Newbery which I think dates to about 1987 :captain:

• Greenie 1

25 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

and neither is the Russell Newbery which I think dates to about 1987

Looked to me like *most* of a Russell Newbery, but perhaps not all. 

But I didn't look that carefully, deciding bringing such an engine (probably non-running) back from France would cost more than its value once back here. Let alone the cost of fixing it!

An even better example would be a certain ex FMC coal boat, built for bunkering the steamer fleet. 

It is reputed to be the oldest converted boat on the system and in the hands of one of our most reputable retired surveyors and  has been on the market for more than a year now.

• Greenie 1

On 02/05/2019 at 20:53, Mike the Boilerman said:

Looked to me like *most* of a Russell Newbery, but perhaps not all. 

But I didn't look that carefully, deciding bringing such an engine (probably non-running) back from France would cost more than its value once back here. Let alone the cost of fixing it!

I love the French verb for the sound which the RN emits: "cliqueter". How very apt. But my dictionary informs me that this verb means "jingle" or "jangle", which is less flattering.

4 hours ago, billybobbooth said:

this is one of the boats that should be at the port as part of the collection to fill in the missing gaps from working boats to pleasure boats that they dont seem to cover

I could not disagree more. There is considerable evidence that, for a number of reasons, Ellesmere Port are unable to care for most of their floating exhibits in a way that satisfactorily preserves their history. I would prefer them to concentrate their efforts on the boats that they already have, especially those placed in storage (I have had a one to one tour of the boats in storage and I understand why and how this situation has arisen).

ANTONY has an interesting history, although some of what is currently quoted in its advertisement is questionalbe, and it must represent a good opportunity for an enthusiast to enter the world of 'historic' boats without the high levels of financial expenditure that is usually demanded - initially anyway :captain:

Edited by pete harrison
  • Greenie 2

I am really surprised that Anthony is still on the market. Having seen the boat, she is superb and an absolute steal at that price. I don’t think the owners are particularly good with technology and so got some help with the advert, but it’s a good boat there

14 minutes ago, Tiggers said:

I am really surprised that Anthony is still on the market. Having seen the boat, she is superb and an absolute steal at that price. I don’t think the owners are particularly good with technology and so got some help with the advert, but it’s a good boat there

She' does look like a boat with character, but I wonder if, with her wooden top and wooden bottom, she's also a boat which will need considerable expenditure before long, and if the asking price reflects this.

45 minutes ago, Athy said:

She' does look like a boat with character, but I wonder if, with her wooden top and wooden bottom, she's also a boat which will need considerable expenditure before long, and if the asking price reflects this.

Ha lister and a genuine bit of history, at the price.Temptation to turn into a full length or cut down tug is strong. That’s why I haven’t bought her.

"Birmingham" has been substantially reduced.

Whilst I can't claim to know all the details of condition and work done, it is a stunning boat, and the price now seems very attractive.

If only I were allowed, but I'm not!

http://www.alvecotemarina.co.uk/narrowcraft/brokerage/for-sale/birminghan/?fbclid=IwAR31XLu48_Eoega4u_My9W8KjKLVkK3BEqUB7YkusY-RArB-f5LjtMP0QAk

Well presented, smart looker, and with a 'convertible' hold accommodation. Very sensible. Chuck the relations under the tarp.

If only. Quite like ANTHONY as it is too. Very 1950/60's conversion - homely, if you grew up around then.

3 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

People want fat grey primer sailaways with comforts of home not interesting but hard to maintain old boats... problem for me is the wooden bottom - never again

Roland and I both revelled in the Small Woolwich Vegetable Bottom Traumas at the same time.

Although Rigal had a float operated pump I still habitually slept with one hand dangling over the bed.

Marcellus only having a standard car battery on clips for easy removal and charging, I concocted another float switch but attached this to a siren.

I was tempted by "Anthony" as well until I saw elm bottoms, I'm too old now to start ripping up flooring at a moment's notice trying to trace the origin of a steady weep emanating from the side of the kelson which probably originated umpty twelveteen feet away.  And you always had to move newly filled water tanks in order to realise it was unreachable because it was under the kelson or a knee.

Between dockings I was a master with greasy string and tingle patches.  Near the end of my time with them I had also learnt how to make Epoxy Araldite set under water.

And then laying underneath them every two years hammering oakum up hill two inches from your face. The vibrations causing lumps of muddy detritus to drop in your mouth. Every two years, having enjoyed my Easter holiday in such manner I'd return to work safe in the knowledge that within a few days I'd have gastro enteritis. 

Of course the easy solution to dribbly bottoms wasn't really available, namely throw 20 tons in each one and drag them for miles through the silt that passes for the cut these days.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

trying to trace the origin of a steady weep emanating from the side of the kelson which probably originated umpty twelveteen feet away.

Ah.... and I thought this was an experience familiar to owners of 100% wooden boats!

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ah.... and I thought this was an experience familiar to owners of 100% wooden boats!

No,  no it isn't!

Although they do get the added 3D experience of it coming through the sides as well.

• Greenie 2

3 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

No,  no it isn't!

Although they do get the added 3D experience of it coming through the sides as well.

And the deckhead....

A drip falling directly into your ear every 45 mins can play havoc with your sleep patterns.... DAMHIK....