Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

On ‎10‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 18:06, Mike the Boilerman said:

And I'm reasonably sure Beech has been for sale a lot longer than that. ISTR considering buying it before buying Reginald, seven or eight years ago. Or maybe that was when the current seller bought it. 

Some boats seem to be permanently for sale at unrealistic prices. Wooden boats especially. 

I think the current owner has had her many years....

On 03/04/2019 at 16:01, koukouvagia said:

The asking price for Row was £89.950.  

No matter how cheap an historic boat is to start with, if you want to bring it up to tip-top condition  it's going to cost a packet. If the steelwork, engine, fitout, paintjob etc. have all been restored  to a very high standard then I'd say you'd be looking at a price comparable with that of a high end modern boat.

It can easily take the best part of a year to restore a "cheap" historic boat.  Some people want to see the process from beginning to end and watch the transformation of a wreck; others need to spread the work over many years; others prefer to buy an historic boat when all the work has been done. However an historic boat is restored, it's going to be expensive.  

I honestly don't think 90K is an unreasonable starting point for a boat like Acacia.

I have to agree, we have spent far more than the purchase price of Hawkesbury on restoration and there is still much to do!

1 hour ago, carlt said:

Last time I went past Clee was still on the hard in Braunston. 

Clee is at Alvecote, in fragile condition . She needs to be saved by someone with a lot of spare time and money. Good looking boat ignoring the decay. 

I fear she will not be on this earth much longer.?

5 hours ago, billh said:

Clee is at Alvecote, in fragile condition . She needs to be saved by someone with a lot of spare time and money. Good looking boat ignoring the decay. 

I fear she will not be on this earth much longer.?

Perhaps it is Clent at Braunston then... I confuse the two. 

16 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

Grand Union Canal Carrying Company Ltd, small Woolwich motor ANTONY :captain:

So Anthony is the front half of Anthony - who'd have thunk it!

What became of the back half?

Richard

25 minutes ago, ChimneyChain said:

I am really struggling with all of the references to Ernest Thomas, especially as British Waterways Board did not sell this boat until 1978 (Tender closing date 30 June 1978), at which point it still had a Lister SR2 fitted :captain:

2 minutes ago, RLWP said:

So Anthony is the front half of Anthony - who'd have thunk it!

What became of the back half?

Richard

ANTONY without the 'H' :ninja:

Directly after being cut in two the stern end of ANTONY was taken to Cowley Tip, and eventually ended up on the tip along with the stern of GORSE. The stern of ANTONY was sold to Willow Wren Hire Cruisers Ltd., Rugby in about 1964 and became their cruiser PLOVER with a new fore end by Charles Watts Engineering, Rugby. In private ownership a name change to LITTLE PLOVER and several changes of owner saw it end up on the southern Grand Union Canal around Rickmansworth - or it was last time I saw it about 12 years ago :captain:

1 minute ago, pete harrison said:

Directly after being cut in two the stern end of ANTONY was taken to Cowley Tip, and eventually ended up on the tip along with the stern of GORSE. The stern of ANTONY was sold to Willow Wren Hire Cruisers Ltd., Rugby in about 1964 and became their cruiser PLOVER with a new fore end by Charles Watts Engineering, Rugby. In private ownership a name change to LITTLE PLOVER and several changes of owner saw it end up on the southern Grand Union Canal around Rickmansworth - or it was last time I saw it about 12 years ago :captain:

Your encyclopedic knowledge is much appreciated. Cheers Pete

Richard

1 hour ago, ChimneyChain said:

Presumably the same seller as has been advertising it for a while, as they say they have owned since 2014.

Price has actually increased, although it has been repainted recently I think.

I'm wondering what the new paint might be disguising ? (Possibly ?).

2 hours ago, pete harrison said:

Used to be moored at Springwell LTM half way between springwell and stockers locks on GU.

Wooden top looked a bit dodgy I always thought it would make a nice tug deconversion as it had original GUCCo stern and quite a nice bow with a double curve effect. Lister SR3 in there I think. 

Its not at springwell anymore. Not sure where its gone. Would make a lovely tug with alteration to back cabin and proper engine. 

I was told the bows were done by wfbco but no idea who told me that and Pete Harrison is likely to be more accurate!!

To be fair Rugby is in Warwickshire :)

Edited by magnetman

10 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I was told the bows were done by wfbco but no idea who told me that and Pete Harrison is likely to be more accurate!!

To be fair Rugby is in Warwickshire :)

It was Trevor Maggs that told me, on more than one occasion, and he was both a resident of Rugby and a regular at Willow Wren's hire boat yard :captain:

1 hour ago, monkeyhanger said:

Would it possibly have been originally paired with "Cleopatra", I wonder?

Yes, both being delivered together on 08 November 1935, both inspected for health registration on 11 November 1935 then health registered as Brentford 552 and 553 on 18 December 1935 and gauged as GJ12474 and GJ12475 on 13 March 1936 :captain:

• Greenie 1

On ‎17‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 18:01, pete harrison said:

I am really struggling with all of the references to Ernest Thomas, especially as British Waterways Board did not sell this boat until 1978 (Tender closing date 30 June 1978), at which point it still had a Lister SR2 fitted :captain:

'Water Lupin' was one of the boats we refurbished for BWB at Castle Mill Boatyard in 1972/3.  Enfield flat twin engine and swim stern.

Lupin..JPG

Edited by Chris Williams
photo
  • Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Chris Williams said:

'Water Lupin' was one of the boats we refurbished for BWB at Castle Mill Boatyard in 1972/3.  Enfield flat twin engine and swim stern.

The fore end ANTONY was fitted with a Johnson Seahorse 18hp when converted to WATER LILAC in 1959.

By way of confirmation records show that WATER LUPIN (fore end of GORSE) was fitted with an Enfield HO Mk4 15hp when converted, and was tendered for sale with a closing date of 28 February 1979 - by which time a Lister SR3 was in place :captain: 

• Happy 1