Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Bee said:

Now that is something I could happily live with. Just look at the size of that engine and gearbox!

It looks as if someone else could, too - a sale has been agreed.

22 hours ago, Athy said:

So, is South Midland Transport closing down? If so, that is a pity.

I don’t think Malcolm has any plans to hang up his windlass yet but they are certainly going to be putting some of boats up for sale soon. I think Jaguar, Stafford, Greyhound and Sunny Valley are staying but there are some other interesting projects on the list to go, including Antarctic. 

Not sure if this one has been mentioned. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NARROWBOAT-72ft-Historic-liveaboard-Home-Studio-Workshop-Business-opp/143170666642?hash=item2155a30092:g:5yMAAOSwK2JcoSyL

Pretty sure it was for sale quite recently . 

Not worth £25k but I really like the hull. A bit different and pleasing. Would need to lose the wood cabin though. 

Intriguing they claim it was a Thames boat but there is no reason for a Thames boat to be narrow unless it went on the Oxford canal as well. 

Odd description. 

Edited by magnetman

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

Not sure if this one has been mentioned. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NARROWBOAT-72ft-Historic-liveaboard-Home-Studio-Workshop-Business-opp/143170666642?hash=item2155a30092:g:5yMAAOSwK2JcoSyL

Pretty sure it was for sale quite recently . 

Not worth £25k but I really like the hull. A bit different and pleasing. Would need to lose the wood cabin though. 

Intriguing they claim it was a Thames boat but there is no reason for a Thames boat to be narrow unless it went on the Oxford canal as well. 

Odd description. 

There is a boat similar in construction to this one moored at Redhill marina on the Soar. When we next  go past it I'll take some photos.

Try selling a boat like this, I have and there is almost no market, nightmare maintenence and running costs, 50 years old - bound to have lots of problems and if you think buying bits for a NB are dear you are in a different league. Probably it will be sold for less than 1/2 the asking price - mine was.

1 hour ago, Cloudinspector said:

Almost beyond belief, surely?

This languished for sale for many months (years?) under its previous ownership, I think with a priced tag of about two thirds of what is now being attached to it.  Presumably Norbury acquired it for considerably less?

Whilst I can see t has had a full repaint, blacking, and the back cabin repainted, I'm really struggling to see approaching £30K added to its value since it was a private sale.

The Gardner is in my view a most inappropriate engine for this boat, and what really put us off looking at it when we were in the market for one.

I would have thought that for this kind of money Bison, which I think has remained unsold for a while, is a much better deal, but frankly converted working boats struggle to sell for anything like this much money these days, whatever their condition.

However, I accept that at the end of the day, it is buyers who will decide what the market will stand.

Edited by alan_fincher

30 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Almost beyond belief, surely?

This languished for sale for many months (years?) under its previous ownership, I think with a priced tag of about two thirds of what is now being attached to it.  Presumably Norbury acquired it for considerably less?

Whilst I can see t has had a full repaint, blacking, and the back cabin repainted, I'm really struggling to see approaching £30K added to its value since it was a private sale.

The Gardner is in my view a most inappropriate engine for this boat, and what really put us off looking at it when we were in the market for one.

I would have thought that for this kind of money Bison, which I think has remained unsold for a while, is a much etter deal, but frankly converted working boats struggle to sell for anything like this much money these days, whatever their condition.

However, I accept that at the end of the day, it is buyers who will decide what the market will stand.

Reminded me of Triggers Broom. Where is the original bit ?

38 minutes ago, billybobbooth said:

last time I saw a josher up for this much was Stafford years ago

The asking price for Row was £89.950.  

No matter how cheap an historic boat is to start with, if you want to bring it up to tip-top condition  it's going to cost a packet. If the steelwork, engine, fitout, paintjob etc. have all been restored  to a very high standard then I'd say you'd be looking at a price comparable with that of a high end modern boat.

It can easily take the best part of a year to restore a "cheap" historic boat.  Some people want to see the process from beginning to end and watch the transformation of a wreck; others need to spread the work over many years; others prefer to buy an historic boat when all the work has been done. However an historic boat is restored, it's going to be expensive.  

I honestly don't think 90K is an unreasonable starting point for a boat like Acacia.