Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

On 16/02/2019 at 18:22, stagedamager said:

The fore end over plating along the chine doesn't look very good. Doesn't seem to follow the shape whatsoever.

There was some equally hideous overplating on Hawkesbury when we purchased her, done as a chine repair to avoid the expense of doing it properly. Now removed and sorted out correctly, most of the metal underneath was serviceable. 

IMAG0580.jpg

IMAG0583.jpg

3 hours ago, BWM said:

There was some equally hideous overplating on Hawkesbury when we purchased her, done as a chine repair to avoid the expense of doing it properly. Now removed and sorted out correctly, most of the metal underneath was serviceable. 

IMAG0580.jpg

IMAG0583.jpg

Have u got any pics of the repair? 

54 minutes ago, BWM said:

I've managed to find a couple, the second one down shows clearly the steelwork intact after removing the overplating. 

FB_IMG_1521711943377.jpg

FB_IMG_1521189975633.jpg

FB_IMG_1512030055827.jpg

IMG_20180101_004540.jpg

Good for you for getting that sorted out properly, well worth doing right.

• Greenie 1

Yes Trent No 5 was previously listed- I think that is acknowledged by Cloudinspector by saying "relisted".

It is indeed a tidy and attractive boat, (well it's a Northwich!) .  The cover over the hold is a highly unusual feature though.  I t is supposed to be recreating its appearance as a tanker, but where it is raised above the gunwales there is just open space down the sides.  I've never really been able to get my brain around it - clearly if you are in the hold you have to crouch heavily.

12 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Yes Trent No 5 was previously listed- I think that is acknowledged by Cloudinspector by saying "relisted".

It is indeed a tidy and attractive boat, (well it's a Northwich!) .  The cover over the hold is a highly unusual feature though.  I t is supposed to be recreating its appearance as a tanker, but where it is raised above the gunwales there is just open space down the sides.  I've never really been able to get my brain around it - clearly if you are in the hold you have to crouch heavily.

I had a good look at Trent 5 when she was on the market last autumn. The hold covers are left open at gunnel height for ventilation and to allow some natural light into the “hold”, which is actually still the original tanks. It also of course allows rain, rubbish and rats access too, but it’s kept in very tidy order down there by the owner. He occasionally does a coal run when the hatch covers can be lifted and moved around like blue tops. 

She’s had an interesting history, built for relatively short runs which didn’t involve any locks which could be why the bows are in such good shape. Also spent time carrying passengers on the Erewash in the front tank compartment, after a good clean out you’d hope! 

It’s originality is unfortunately the sticking point, the baseplate is thin which the owner openly admits. He had a section replaced where it holed riding over an obstruction on the BCN, but didn’t feel the need for a full bottom. It also has never had a hull survey, although it has been docked since my viewing so that could have changed. A lovely boat kept in great condition by her owner, it’s certainly his pride and joy. I got the impression he didn’t mind looking after her for a bit more boating time til she sells! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/02/2019 at 10:05, pipistrelle said:

Reduced from £44,800 to £35,000.

11 hours ago, carlt said:

I love the bathroom.

227935_-_photo_4_1534952370_big.jpg

Steampunk engineering at its finest.

It does look inviting, and I like your word "steampunk"; is that your own invention?

From the outside, the combination of a false clothed semi-hold and 'bus windows is rather incongruous.

11 hours ago, carlt said:

I love the bathroom.

Steampunk engineering at its finest.

8 minutes ago, Athy said:

It does look inviting, and I like your word "steampunk"; is that your own invention?

It never ceases to amuse me just how out of touch with the modern world you can be!

• Greenie 2

12 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

It never ceases to amuse me just how out of touch with the modern world you can be!

It never ceases to amaze me what a cheeky sausage (vege of course) you can be.:P

I wonder if a man who runs two 1936 boats can claim to be at the forefront of modern living.

Edited by Athy

1 minute ago, alan_fincher said:

I think we have all become so addicted to Google/Wikipedia and so on, that we assume everyone is like us.

Canal Boat Art - Steampunk only in the sense that it's reminiscent of Jules Verne and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

19 minutes ago, Athy said:

It never ceases to amaze me what a cheeky sausage (vege of course) you can be.:P

I wonder if a man who runs two 1936 boats can claim to be at the forefront of modern living.

Even with two 1936 boats I have known for some time what Steampunk is.

This may, (or may not!) be influenced by the fact that several owners of similar boats are often seen crewing them in Steampunk related attire.

You are right in a way though.....

Just about to leave for the Bluebell Railway where hopefully we will be puled by some "modern" steam, some of it dating from the 1870s.....

Edited by alan_fincher