Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Greenlaw is on Rugby boats. May be old news. Offer accepted.

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/narrow-boats-traditional/518854

Not historic but sort of nod to past. Dave Harris makes a tidy shell.

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/david-harris-57-tug/584681

Edited by mark99

2 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Greenlaw is on Rugby boats. May be old news. Offer accepted.

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/narrow-boats-traditional/518854

Very very old news, I would say.

The new owner has had it at several historic bat events last year, including the big Braunston one.

6 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Very very old news, I would say.

The new owner has had it at several historic bat events last year, including the big Braunston one.

S'funny. Wonder why still on Apollo Duck.

Edited by mark99

1 minute ago, mark99 said:

S'funny. Wonder why still on Apollo Duck.

Dunno,

Rugby Boat Sales seem to have been very slow to go anything about removing this one, but I don;t think it is the only"historic" they had on their books to which that applies.  I;'m fairly certain both Drake and Dolphin also sold, but these are still on "the Duck" as well.

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

Dunno,

Rugby Boat Sales seem to have been very slow to go anything about removing this one, but I don;t think it is the only"historic" they had on their books to which that applies.  I;'m fairly certain both Drake and Dolphin also sold, but these are still on "the Duck" as well.

Is that a new owner since the one that purchased it but had put it back  on the market when I saw them at Audlem last year as they were finding it too heavy to boat with...?

• 3 weeks later...
On 11 November 2018 at 17:44, alan_fincher said:

Dunno,

Rugby Boat Sales doesn't remove any boats from the Duck as a rule, just updates the For Sale to Under Offer and then Sold, which helps buyers and sellers if they wish to look at boat values in general.

Not a bad boat but the cabin is a bit boxy (lacking tumblehome) and worth noting its not the original stern or back cabin. 

Not sure but I think its one of the BW ones where they put a new counter on and a nasty steel stern cabin on. Not read the details but it may well have an air cooled engine mounted at the back with no back cabin. 

I passed it a couple of days ago have seen it before. 

I find it slightly displeasing. £55k seems a lot.

P&S marine put a new bottom on it? 

That must be an overplating job then. Bottle jacks and a hammer asap. 

Overplating does no favours to a boat like that. If,  and I doubt it, it has been rebottomed and refooted properly then its interesting otherwise in terms of being a historic boat its trouble .

Edited by magnetman

9 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Not a bad boat but the cabin is a bit boxy (lacking tumblehome) and worth noting its not the original stern or back cabin. 

Not sure but I think its one of the BW ones where they put a new counter on and a nasty steel stern cabin on. Not read the details but it may well have an air cooled engine mounted at the back with no back cabin.

Yes, at some point it received the BW "Space Ship" cabin, and as was typical the engine got relocated to the stern, (an HR from memory).

That cabin was retained for the conversion, and the original line extended, so it is very boxy, (though no doubt spacious inside!)

I don't think the counter is particularly unpleasing, although unless things have changed, it will be without cants, and probably have fairly formless bollards.

It is what it is.  Without spending a fortune it is never going to have a GUCCCo style engine room with a back cabin behind.

Rebottomed or overplated?  I don't know.

47189877_10156766726917487_4612337569261

3 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Yes, at some point it received the BW "Space Ship" cabin, and as was typical the engine got relocated to the stern, (an HR from memory).

That cabin was retained for the conversion, and the original line extended, so it is very boxy, (though no doubt spacious inside!)

I don't think the counter is particularly unpleasing, although unless things have changed, it will be without cants, and probably have fairly formless bollards.

It is what it is.  Without spending a fortune it is never going to have a GUCCCo style engine room with a back cabin behind.

Rebottomed or overplated?  I don't know.

47189877_10156766726917487_4612337569261

This was only  rebuilt in the 1980s, pretty well unaltered until then, sold off fairly soon afterwards. Notable for having had the last Petter PD2 in Waterways ownership. 

3 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

(snipped)

The term is 'Space Invader', so called due to the wide gunnels invading the space in the cabin - smaller within. And as said, often had the engine stuffed under the steerers nose. Noisy. Crew cabin where the engine would have been, with access into the hold and any maintenance equipment there.

Its a lot of boat for the money, and overplate is now common. When we questioned our surveyor on the bottom on our boat he muttered about three bottoms in oneplace, no holes from the top, and no concerns.

i believe the problem with overplate is when the integrities been compromised , allowing water between layers of plate.

2 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Its a lot of boat for the money, and overplate is now common. When we questioned our surveyor on the bottom on our boat he muttered about three bottoms in oneplace, no holes from the top, and no concerns.

i believe the problem with overplate is when the integrities been compromised , allowing water between layers of plate.

By about the fifth overplate you'll be quite deep in the water mud though!  When the gunwales go under it's time to think about replating instead of overplating.

4 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

By about the fifth overplate you'll be quite deep in the water mud though!  When the gunwales go under it's time to think about replating instead of overplating.

Yes after the rest had a bit of a plate 3 years ago we hurled off about a ton of ballast and threw a ton into the front locker to stop the skeg hitting the bottom.

we still have ex bwb ballast under the floors from when she had no stern cabin. Cant lift it its iron blocks. She doesnt stop...

when craned in after the work the alarms were going crazy on the crane.

on the other hand hitting the bottom causes a cringe not fear

14 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

I believe the problem with overplate is when the integrities been compromised , allowing water between layers of plate.

Bear in mind also that the integrity of the hull can be compromised from inside as well as outside.  The overplating on parts of Hampton had corroded from within, leaving the outer layer paper thin in parts.