Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

They had Thaxted after the demise of willow wren, and as Widgeon. Half way down the hold was a welded in skin fitting for sink drain with about a six inch threaded stub on it, and a hex headed nut. Number of times i gouged myself on it...  The front of the engine room also had a small bolt on steel panel to allow hot air to be blown under the top cloths. Running water and central heating ( daylight hours only) luxury.

if you told them that today they wouldnt believe you..

I certainly remember Gary Ward having the WIDGEON and ALPERTON for U.C.C. Ltd. in 1978, with both boats getting sold at the end of the 1979 camping season :captain:

2 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

I certainly remember Gary Ward having the WIDGEON and ALPERTON for U.C.C. Ltd. in 1978, with both boats getting sold at the end of the 1979 camping season :captain:

To Julian who passed custody to us in 1984. Less owners between 1937 and 84 than our last car between 2006 and 2018 !

11 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

To Julian who passed custody to us in 1984. Less owners between 1937 and 84 than our last car between 2006 and 2018 !

For the benefit of those that do not know only WIDGEON / THAXTED was sold to Julian with ALPERTON being sold to an owner in Birmingham and paired with ALDEBARAN then DARLEY. ALPERTON was put into the retail coal business, servicing many of the 'residential' boats in central Birmingham - including me :captain:

Edited by pete harrison

1 hour ago, roland elsdon said:

They had Thaxted after the demise of willow wren, and as Widgeon. Half way down the hold was a welded in skin fitting for sink drain with about a six inch threaded stub on it, and a hex headed nut. Number of times i gouged myself on it...  The front of the engine room also had a small bolt on steel panel to allow hot air to be blown under the top cloths. Running water and central heating ( daylight hours only) luxury.

if you told them that today they wouldnt believe you..

We still have a similar welded skin fitting and a pair of sink mounting brackets.

5 hours ago, cuthound said:

Thanks BWM , however Hawkesbury doesn't ring a bell.

Thanks Alan, Kimberly rings a bell, do you know if it was ever hired out as a single motor to hirers?

In 1973 I went as part of a mixed venture scout group, which hired two self drive boats. I enjoyed the canals but not the impositions put on me by the scouting leaders, so hired a single motor with a few friends the following year.

FB_IMG_1510153195947.jpg

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Wonder where Alderbaran end up.......

ALDEBARAN was tied at Bristol in 1984 when it was 'bumped' by a hopper causing a leak in its hull. The owner had ALDEBARAN lifted out but for one reason and another did not carry out any repairs, resulting in the side planks drying out so much I could easily put by fingers through the gaps. ALDEBARAN was subsequently broken up in 1986 :captain:

17 minutes ago, Darrenroberts said:

WIDGEON is often moored up outside Victoria park in London. They use her as a Theatre boat, but I’ve never seen a showing there lol. 

WIDGEON / THAXTED was discussed in some detail back in July, all a bit of a shame in my opinion but each to their own :captain:

12 hours ago, pete harrison said:

WIDGEON / THAXTED was discussed in some detail back in July, all a bit of a shame in my opinion but each to their own :captain:

Whoops sorry Pete, am always late to the party on these conversations, don’t mind me. P.s cutting bits off and welding bits on that aren’t  sympathetic repairs are a no go area for me. Plenty other less significant vessels out there to muck about with. 

10 hours ago, mark99 said:

Re Widgeon..... it's only bad if you look where it evolved from not too many years back.

Evolved from ? When i sold it had good steel bottom and sides a dry sheeted hold , a carefully detailed and skinned back cabin and an ha 2 that would go anywhere. You could confidently load it.

it had very few owners, had never been converted. 

Now ?

6 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

Evolved from ? When i sold it had good steel bottom and sides a dry sheeted hold , a carefully detailed and skinned back cabin and an ha 2 that would go anywhere. You could confidently load it.

it had very few owners, had never been converted. 

Now ?

That's my point - someone <ie you it seems> had brought it back. It's gone backwards no doubt but it's not a complete write off. Someone else with commitment could get it back. The bones are there.

28 minutes ago, Darrenroberts said:

Hi there not a boat for sale but dose any one know anything about the bow and sturn I’ve never seen that arrangement of rubbing strips? Is it even a old boat? P.s sorry if this is your boat and I’ve creeply taken a photo of it lol iam just an anorak. 

8E426D96-2DA2-4A63-B0DF-EBB7E2D7F0AB.jpeg

Caldy is an ex GUCCC boat.  When BW converted some to shorter maintenance boats they fitted a few with this rubbing strake design.  Maybe icebreaking? but someone will be along in a moment withe definitive answer.

George

1 hour ago, mark99 said:

Trying to remember the engine it's got. German? Doorman?

47 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Dorman?

Very English - made in Stafford.

When CALDY was a British Waterways Board canal maintenance boat it was shortened and fitted with two things that were unconventional - the almost unique rubbing guard arrangement and a Deutz FL2 29hp @ 2150rpm / 34.5hp @ 2400rpm industrial diesel engine (I have the engine serial number) with a hydraulic drive. The engine was fitted in 1977 and was still in the boat 10 years ago, but I do not know when the guards were altered :captain:

1 hour ago, pete harrison said:

When CALDY was a British Waterways Board canal maintenance boat it was shortened and fitted with two things that were unconventional - the almost unique rubbing guard arrangement and a Deutz FL2 29hp @ 2150rpm / 34.5hp @ 2400rpm industrial diesel engine (I have the engine serial number) with a hydraulic drive. The engine was fitted in 1977 and was still in the boat 10 years ago, but I do not know when the guards were altered :captain:

Panther being another, at least at the bows.

George