Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

On 21/10/2018 at 19:36, sarahavfc said:

You want one of the nice late Yarwoods Boats with forged skegs and balanced rudders. Light as a feather and the elegance of a Josher. Perfect!

When I first got "Lily" the skeg was a flat plate  the first docking at "Charity" Joe fashioned a piece of ,can't remember if it was 1"or 11/4 "solid bar which was welded in place over the flat skeg,& the sides of the flat plate cut off to the width of the bar the top edge which was rounded off it certainly made a difference to the  back end coming up & not staying sat/sucked down with the shutting off of the throttle, when under way so reducing the heavy "arse"the rudder was also modified for better balance although the rudder bar was still vertical rather than angled as the "Fish " Class but later having steered a "Fish" I can't remember there being any noticeable difference in the setting down & the weight of steering

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, X Alan W said:

When I first got "Lily" the skeg was a flat plate  the first docking at "Charity" Joe fashioned a piece of ,can't remember if it was 1"or 11/4 "solid bar which was welded in place over the flat skeg,& the sides of the flat plate cut off to the width of the bar the top edge which was rounded off it certainly made a difference to the  back end coming up & not staying sat/sucked down with the shutting off of the throttle, when under way so reducing the heavy "arse"the rudder was also modified for better balance although the rudder bar was still vertical rather than angled as the "Fish " Class but later having steered a "Fish" I can't remember there being any noticeable difference in the setting down & the weight of steering

I just went past 'Lily' the other day, do you know what's happening with her? I have a friend who is looking for a nice josher if it was perhaps available to buy.. 

2 hours ago, sparrowcycles said:

I just went past 'Lily' the other day, do you know what's happening with her? I have a friend who is looking for a nice josher if it was perhaps available to buy.. 

Still being worked on by the owners, we used to moor next to them on their other boat.

37 minutes ago, sparrowcycles said:

Cool, it was looking a bit sorry to me compared to when I last saw her. 

It was a tidy boat some years ago but I heard that the cabin lamp  oil over flowed some how & the cabin caught fire & was badly damaged by the resulting fire As an aside doe's any one know if she is still composite when It was last on her at Bulbourne  when owned by Gary (Chilton Chuggers)

15 minutes ago, X Alan W said:

It was a tidy boat some years ago but I heard that the cabin lamp  oil over flowed some how & the cabin caught fire & was badly damaged by the resulting fire As an aside doe's any one know if she is still composite when It was last on her at Bulbourne  when owned by Gary (Chilton Chuggers)

Hmm I couldn't see any evidence of that when I passed but the cloths were all ripped and you could see into the hold. She looked more solid when I passed a year ago. 

13 hours ago, sparrowcycles said:

Hmm I couldn't see any evidence of that when I passed but the cloths were all ripped and you could see into the hold. She looked more solid when I passed a year ago. 

As far as I'm aware the outer structure/cladding of the cabin has been replaced/rebuilt .I had a full conversion put on at Charity in 68 & hotel boated until 72when my late wife's ill health resulted in selling the motor to Willow Wren Kearnes & the butty to Harry Machin As far as I'm aware the motor stayed up north until around 2000 when it was bought by Garry at Bulbourne who swapped the "Seffle" for a 20 hp Bolinder which as far as I know still powers it the "Seffle now powering Jem Bates  boat "Severn"

From a  post on Facebook.......

But no pictures currently posted.

(Although of course if the hull really has been completely rebuilt by Brinklow Boat Services" it is not really an historic boat, is it!)

48 Ft Trad 1936. full hull, engine and interior rebuild 5 years ago.

£42,000

Berkhamstead

Introducing Dart. My home for the past 5 years.

Just moved to berkhamstead for ease of viewing.

I fully refitted her to live in and have done happily! She is a very well equipped narrowboat and is perfect for a life afloat. Extremely warm in winter.

Her hull and engine have been completely rebuilt by Brinklow boat services so you have a classic trad with none of the issues common with a boat of this age! Dart has had a new paint job on the outside.

She has just been blacked and comes with a fully transferrable survey which is available on request.

i have just repainted and revarnished the livingroom/kitchen.

this boat is ready to move onto and live in

The specification is below. If you have any further questions please call or email me.

1926 48ft trad butty conversion

Hull completely replaced under the waterline by Simon Wain of Brinklow boat services.

Lister HA2 air cooled engine completely reconditioned by Steve priest at Brinklow boat services.

3 x side hatches

Victron 2000W inverter

Sterling alternator to battery management system

Tracer MPPT charge controller

440w solar array

2 110Ah leisure batteries (there is room for 4)

1 starter battery

Completely refitted 4 years ago.

Celotex insulation

Rayburn multi fuel range with back boiler providing full central heating, hot water and cooking in the winter. Underfloor heating in the bathroom too!

Morco f11-e LPG instantaneous water heater

Bosch Gas Hob with wok burner

Thetford oven and grill

Belfast sink

Floor larder

Built in sofa bed with plenty of storage

Fold away dining table

Pioneer DAB stereo with speakers throughout

Composting toilet

1000x700 shower tray with aqua Lisa shower valve gold plated

Custom made shower door with gold plated hinges

Vanity unit with gold plated taps and a reclaimed basin

Large wall cabinet with mirrors

Ottoman double bed with hydraulic hinges

2 wardrobes

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

(Although of course if the hull really has been completely rebuilt by Brinklow Boat Services" it is not really an historic boat, is it!)

As these boats get older it is inevitable that their hulls will require extensive renovations, the alternative being they are cut up for scrap. Almost every boat that has been re-bottomed / re-footed since 1970 will have been done with welded steel plate, and almost every boat has been re-cabined / re-engined / re-wired with modern electrics / fitted with replacement running gear / fitted with modern cloths or cabin conversions e.t.c..

Are any narrow boats historic - not in my opinion, but ongoing maintenance, both good and bad, is an ongoing part of each boat history and all of which makes them no less interesting with desirability being subjective.

As far as DART is concerned the reference to Brinklow Boat Services suggests that this work has been carried out to a high quality :captain:

Sorry Pete,

This was meant to be more tongue in cheek - by which I meant I doubt it has been fully rebuilt - I bet there are still some old bits left in there somewhere.

I'm a bit confused what this boat actually is.  Part of an LMS railway boat presumably, but two different build dates are mentioned (1926 & 1936) so it obviously can't be both.

I guess I need to review this thread to see if it has had a mention before.

EDIT:

I see it has!

So it is actually 1937, not either date quoted in the ad, and is the stern end - where is the front end?

Edited by alan_fincher

On ‎22‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 13:31, fittie said:

A g'sunder in the cabin is the answer! + it works in both a heavy arsed Josher and a Grand Union t'boot!

When I was boating on multi-user 'historic' narrow boats a few years ago I was shocked to see a handbowl being used as an overnight convenience - dirty bas?@rds :captain:

4 hours ago, pete harrison said:

The last I saw the fore end of DART was 02 May 2000 when I photographed it on the River Lee as WATER HYACYNTH :captain:

So I wonder how much of Dart back end was originally part of Dart?

Here's an image that Google brings up for Water Hyacinth....

• TAKING on DRINKING WATER Nr STOKE, CANAL BOAT TRIP 1973

Looked at dart recently ( we love station boats even more than gu boats) 

im sure the advert is accurate but it looks like a bit of a battered modern boat, its history of modification has left it with a square 80s cabin and the lovely fore end looks shortened.

it came past on wednesday . Its provenance is undeniable .

i think a well planned paint job would help but would be pricey Sent the boss to look, she muttered something about doing nothing for her..

1 hour ago, pete harrison said:

BIRMINGHAM - now on Apollo Duck with a much improved advertisement (and the Alvecote Marina advert is similarly updated too) :captain:

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/harland-amp-wolff-72-traditional/586858

Walked past her at Alvecote yesterday, in exactly the position shown in the first photo.

Lovely looking boat for a GU.

She reminded me of my first canal holiday on a UCC GU camping boat back in 1973.

Does anyone know what boats UCC used as camping boats back them? I'm afraid I have forgotten the name of the camping boats we hired.

Edited by cuthound
To add the last paragraph

3 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Walked past her at Alvecote yesterday, in exactly the position shown in the first photo.

Lovely looking boat for a GU.

She reminded me of my first canal holiday on a UCC GU camping boat back in 1973.

Does anyone know what boats UCC used as camping boats back them? I'm afraid I have forgotten the name of the camping boats we hired.

Our boat Hawkesbury spent some time with Union canal carriers and still retains some of the 'A' frames.

31 minutes ago, cuthound said:

At about that time pairs, (usually crewed by their staff) included....

Ant & Axe

Bexhill & Brighton

Birmingham & Balham

Kimberley & Puppis

Petrel & Moon

Singe motors, (usually crewed by the hirers), included.....

Bainton (I think!)

Bilster

Edgware

Eileen

Hawkesbury

I'm sure I've missed some, and others came a bit later I think, (e.g. Widgeon & Alperton0.

That said we hired Bilster, but they actually sent us out with Bexhill, so nothing was ever guaranteed with Janusz Rokicki!

42 minutes ago, BWM said:

Our boat Hawkesbury spent some time with Union canal carriers and still retains some of the 'A' frames.

Thanks BWM , however Hawkesbury doesn't ring a bell.

8 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Ant & Axe

Bexhill & Brighton

Birmingham & Balham

Kimberley & Puppis

Petrel & Moon

Bainton (I think!)

Bilster

Edgware

Eileen

Hawkesbury

I'm sure I've missed some, and others came a bit later I think, (e.g. Widgeon & Alperton0.

That said we hired Bilster, but they actually sent us out with Bexhill, so nothing was ever guaranteed with Janusz Rokicki!

Thanks Alan, Kimberly rings a bell, do you know if it was ever hired out as a single motor to hirers?

In 1973 I went as part of a mixed venture scout group, which hired two self drive boats. I enjoyed the canals but not the impositions put on me by the scouting leaders, so hired a single motor with a few friends the following year.

2 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Ant & Axe

Bexhill & Brighton

Birmingham & Balham

Kimberley & Puppis

Petrel & Moon

Bainton (I think!)

Bilster

Edgware

Eileen

Hawkesbury

Lindsay was also used by UCC. I hired it in October 1976 just after the lock restrictions started to come off after the very long hot summer. I'm not certain what the other boats in the picture are.

Lindsay Braunston Oct 76.jpg

28 minutes ago, Athy said:

That would make a good illustration in the "Are Canals Getting Too Crowded?" thread.

It's often not radially different there now, other than the ex working boats have given way to more typical hire boats.

Double breasting on both sides of the cut, with barely one boat's length of lock landing if you are lucky, is still the norm here.

They had Thaxted after the demise of willow wren, and as Widgeon. Half way down the hold was a welded in skin fitting for sink drain with about a six inch threaded stub on it, and a hex headed nut. Number of times i gouged myself on it...  The front of the engine room also had a small bolt on steel panel to allow hot air to be blown under the top cloths. Running water and central heating ( daylight hours only) luxury.

if you told them that today they wouldnt believe you..