Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

11 hours ago, Derek R. said:

And there was I thinking it was all about pride in appearance and practice - whatever the boat!      ?

Yes, you are correct but a Grand Union is clearly a boat to be proud of whereas an antiquated Josher requires a lot of effort to make it more than a 'sows ear', and boating practice (and all that this encompasses) is more of a way of life and should appear to be almost effortless :captain:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, pete harrison said:

Yes, you are correct but a Grand Union is clearly a boat to be proud of whereas an antiquated Josher requires a lot of effort to make it more than a 'sows ear', and boating practice (and all that this encompasses) is more of a way of life and should appear to be almost effortless :captain:

We have a lot of practice this year and I look forward the resulting paint replacement next year. Crt believe maintance should be done by boats slightly over the normal size wearing down the overhanging branches broken coping and crap filled canals for them.

3 hours ago, pete harrison said:

I will not claim any boat is a sows ear, as with anything, paint and maintenance will make good any craft. But what might be relevant is how a boat handles - and is handled, and as we know, load, depth of water and skill all play their part. As to 'bling', that is down to individuals, and with regard to families, how much they adorn their boats is their business - like scrubbing the front step in a terraced street, polishing the door knocker, and some fine lace at the window. That's just pride in appearance which some might translate as 'one-upmanship', but not I.

Making things seem effortless, that is all down to experience and technique. I've lost count of the times Louise & I have caught up with mob handed rope throwers (much to their chagrin), waiting quietly while they yelled at each other across a lock. Our way was quiet, with an occasional nod when going through single in a double lock as to which side we'd leave (most of the time, and usually towpath). Knowledge, experience and good practice - though we were never engaged in commercial traffic, we just sought to emulate best practice as shown and advised by some former working boatmen.

I'm sure there are many sows who think their ears are perfect. (Assuming they do and can 'think').  ?

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Derek R. said:

I will not claim any boat is a sows ear, as with anything, paint and maintenance will make good any craft. But what might be relevant is how a boat handles - and is handled, and as we know, load, depth of water and skill all play their part. As to 'bling', that is down to individuals, and with regard to families, how much they adorn their boats is their business - like scrubbing the front step in a terraced street, polishing the door knocker, and some fine lace at the window. That's just pride in appearance which some might translate as 'one-upmanship', but not I.

Making things seem effortless, that is all down to experience and technique. I've lost count of the times Louise & I have caught up with mob handed rope throwers (much to their chagrin), waiting quietly while they yelled at each other across a lock. Our way was quiet, with an occasional nod when going through single in a double lock as to which side we'd leave (most of the time, and usually towpath). Knowledge, experience and good practice - though we were never engaged in commercial traffic, we just sought to emulate best practice as shown and advised by some former working boatmen.

I'm sure there are many sows who think their ears are perfect. (Assuming they do and can 'think').  ?

Don't take all this too seriously Derek as it is just friendly banter between me and another Forumite that started earlier this year - and long may it continue (he has a Josher and I have a Grand Union). If Forumites find this inappropriate I will drop it and offer my apologies :captain:

• Greenie 2

6 hours ago, pete harrison said:

Strange that most of those old "Pigs Ear" Josher's had more than paid for themselves many times over before any of those metal GU lumps had been bashed into shape & at the demise of carrying were still going as strong Still it takes all sorts ?

58 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

Don't take all this too seriously Derek as it is just friendly banter between me and another Forumite that started earlier this year - and long may it continue (he has a Josher and I have a Grand Union). If Forumites find this inappropriate I will drop it and offer my apologies :captain:

Please don't give up on the banter ,a bit of light relief between folk who've been there done that & got the T shirt,  helps to spread light relief it"s "Bull**it from folk with no idea lording to the beginners that I have no time for a bit of s**t stirring from someone with knowledge brightens one's day.?

29 minutes ago, Derek R. said:

Carry on - just ignore me. Something to do with being a Virgo . . . !

You put forth your pennyworth It's very welcome the Town /Josher spat is to keep folks mind off Pump Out V Cassette ?

So a josher with a pumpout is the pits but a grand union with a bucket is sublime.  Ill remember that sat in the unlined engine room on the loo with condensation falling on my head. Of course if im really pure i walk down the ice encrusted gunnel to get to

the loo coz theres a bloody freezing cold bulkhead in the way..

luxury

47 minutes ago, fittie said:

A g'sunder in the cabin is the answer! + it works in both a heavy arsed Josher and a Grand Union t'boot!

In the summer at the Braunston gathering we had a back cabin guest who didn't feel confident to climb out and then into the engine room if she needed the loo in the night.

I was surprised to find that with the cross bed down a Porta Potti 365 can just be tucked away under the bed, (with almost no margin on the height), and can be drawn out from under for use if required.

Nothing is too good fr our guests!

There was a miniature porta potti in one of the small cupboards under the side bed, immediately next to the cross bed when  we first bought Hawkesbury. It was accessed by lifting the top hatch up and designed to be used in situ, I thought it was pretty hideous even though it was convenient. 

23 hours ago, BWM said:

There was a miniature porta potti in one of the small cupboards under the side bed, immediately next to the cross bed when  we first bought Hawkesbury. It was accessed by lifting the top hatch up and designed to be used in situ, I thought it was pretty hideous even though it was convenient. 

I suspect the canal boat registration would fail that even if the current test allows it! I suspect in some respects the victorians were more sanitation concious than some current boat persons i have seen. The full elsan collection on the roof is certainly a backwards step.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

I suspect the canal boat registration would fail that even if the current test allows it! I suspect in some respects the victorians were more sanitation concious than some current boat persons i have seen. The full elsan collection on the roof is certainly a backwards step.

I too find it surprisingly shocking to see the occasional boat with a stock of cassettes littering the roof.

They must all be full or the wind would have blown them off. (For want of a better term.) 

On 20/10/2018 at 07:20, pete harrison said:

takes no effort with a josher you just need a one off,

On 21/10/2018 at 18:43, roland elsdon said:

So a josher with a pumpout is the pits but a grand union with a bucket is sublime.  Ill remember that sat in the unlined engine room on the loo with condensation falling on my head. Of course if im really pure i walk down the ice encrusted gunnel to get to

the loo coz theres a bloody freezing cold bulkhead in the way..

luxury

its ok to go out side to get into the engine room its when there is no light and you fall over the soddin engine thats always been there that the bit that always gets me.

• Haha 1