Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

9 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

I failed to spot the mention of gthe 7' 2" beam, which at least the broker has been honest about.  That could be quite a restriction.  Any enthusiasm I expressed in my last post is nw slightly more muted!

7'2'' is actually an improvement as when this boat was B.C.N. gauged on 10 April 1895 it was measured at 7'3¾''. This boat is also slightly unusual for a Bantock of this design in that it is recorded as having a cabin, and I am able to add 10 years to its age :captain:

24 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Duke

Linky.

There's a degree of honesty in this advert about the implications of taking on 1930s boats, which I find refreshing.

Pictures like this make me feel rather better about our own restoration tasks.  I particularly like the engine room door hinge being a zip tie!

712709.jpg?1539035538

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

Some had another addition to protect the front, and help it slide off the gate.

20181005_103013.jpg

I  very much doubt that dates from its working days, does it?

I could probably think of at least a dozen reasons why it looks a bad idea!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Linky.

There's a degree of honesty in this advert about the implications of taking on 1930s boats, which I find refreshing.

Pictures like this make me feel rather better about our own restoration tasks.  I particularly like the engine room door hinge being a zip tie!

712709.jpg?1539035538

As bad as it looks, I'd rather have original metal to improve on, so many have had it cut off and replaced with entirely modern structure. 

1 hour ago, Ray T said:

The upturn of the bottom of the hull. When these Pimblott boats ran empty the base plate at the bow was above the water line.

Restored Effingham starboard facing

Truly the narrowest of narrow boats!

2 hours ago, Ray T said:

The upturn of the bottom of the hull. When these Pimblott boats ran empty the base plate at the bow was above the water line.

Was this boat designed specifically to negotiate Hurleston Locks? ??

Edited by cuthound

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

I  very much doubt that dates from its working days, does it?

I could probably think of at least a dozen reasons why it looks a bad idea!

I bet you it does date from its working days, although I doubt it was like that when built. I am not sure which boat this is but COLLINGWOOD definitely had an arrangement like this as seen in the image below (boat in the centre, with the boat on the outside being EFFINGHAM) :captain:

189802318_JELLICOE-COLLINGWOOD-EFFINGHAM(MattParrott-WaterwaysWorld001).jpg.0db096c730c3cebb8d2ba27b5a3806db.jpg

3 hours ago, Ray T said:

That certainly answers my question, have any actually gone over a gate? 

39 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

I bet you it does date from its working days, although I doubt it was like that when built. I am not sure which boat this is but COLLINGWOOD definitely had an arrangement like this as seen in the image below (boat in the centre, with the boat on the outside being EFFINGHAM) :captain:

189802318_JELLICOE-COLLINGWOOD-EFFINGHAM(MattParrott-WaterwaysWorld001).jpg.0db096c730c3cebb8d2ba27b5a3806db.jpg

Great photo!

12 hours ago, cuthound said:

Was this boat designed specifically to negotiate Hurleston Locks? ??

No it was the dimension's of the double Cheshire locks (some were very tight for 7ft beam)done so they could use them side by side rather than have to wait & use the same lock twice

14 hours ago, matty40s said:

Some had another addition to protect the front, and help it slide off the gate.

20181005_103013.jpg

The boats in the NW BW/Anderton fleet I saw none fitted with anything of that nature possibly a private owner "Mod"up to end of my commercial work Jack Tolley practiced his gate climbing skills

Edited by X Alan W

11 hours ago, sparrowcycles said:

That certainly answers my question, have any actually gone over a gate? 

Great photo!

I was below lower Hack green lock about to draw off against me lock when Jack Tolley drew off & exited top lock rater than him waiting I opened top gate & said I'd give him a hand with his butty as he went t "chuck back to stop a large agri fertilizer bag went around his blade Knowing he was not going to stop & hit the bottom gates a tidy wallop he stepped off the counter & I'm praying the gate holds as my pair were below the lock. Long story short Gates held but from around 4 hoops forward was hanging over the gates with bent/trashed hand rails & gate paddle gear furniture The look on Jack Whalleys face( BW forman) when he arrived was as the master card advert (" priceless)

• Happy 1
  • Horror 1

That's odd, because I distinctly remember clicking on the link to to see a pretty dull looking page with minimal info.

Got the images this time too, but only two. Pictures sell, the more the better. Which brings me to a request for those who reply to posts with images: -

It's understandable if the specific image is referred to in the answering post, but to put a few words at the end of a chain of images is in my view - unnecessary, and must take up file space. Leave the text in by all means, but cut the excess images - ta.

It's early, and I'm grumpy.  ?

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Derek R. said:

It's understandable if the specific image is referred to in the answering post, but to put a few words at the end of a chain of images is in my view - unnecessary, and must take up file space. Leave the text in by all means, but cut the excess images - ta.

It's early, and I'm grumpy.  ?

No, reposting a string of images will not take up further fie space.

Nor should it increase network traffic as you view those multiple images, as once a copy is inyour cache the browser should not need to fetch it a second time.

15 hours ago, pete harrison said:

BIRMINGHAM:

http://www.alvecotemarina.co.uk/narrowcraft/brokerage/for-sale/birminghan/

I did post this yesterday evening but there appeared to be some issues with this Forum and it obviously did not load :captain:

I agree with Derek.

It was definitely there in a previous post from you last night.

It did load, so it seems that some isue with the forum have caused it to go missing.

I wonder if that applies to more posts than yours.

On 14/10/2018 at 18:14, pete harrison said:

BIRMINGHAM:

http://www.alvecotemarina.co.uk/narrowcraft/brokerage/for-sale/birminghan/

I did post this yesterday evening but there appeared to be some issues with this Forum and it obviously did not load :captain:

I can confirm that you did post it, Pete, as I had an auto email link about it, and now when I click on the link it doesn't work.

On 05/10/2018 at 06:01, Liam said:

Dane also went down on the northern side of Crick tunnel when it was left there for a couple of in August.

20180716_092740.jpg

going to cry just come back from states so catching up! It's made me very upset!