Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

28 minutes ago, sparrowcycles said:

Did you buy it? 

if you mean the items I nodded on but had them removed 1 I won and still item not sent seller cancled the sale the others kept retracting my bids dispite messages.

if you mean kent then no its still too high for work required for the amount ill loose before I could move her or even in costs to mover her to get it moving under her own power be it would have prob had an fr2 put in and the jp repaired. it would cost around 5-8k to do this aloan if the price came down to 3k I would be handing the cash over

On 25/09/2018 at 07:28, billybobbooth said:

sounds like a messer had this prob a few times on eBay bid on item and they remove the bid

I should make it clear I ment the seller not mike

On 26/09/2018 at 17:41, billybobbooth said:

if you mean the items I nodded on but had them removed 1 I won and still item not sent seller cancled the sale the others kept retracting my bids dispite messages.

if you mean kent then no its still too high for work required for the amount ill loose before I could move her or even in costs to mover her to get it moving under her own power be it would have prob had an fr2 put in and the jp repaired. it would cost around 5-8k to do this aloan if the price came down to 3k I would be handing the cash over

I should make it clear I ment the seller not mike

Ah shame, I saw Kent was off eBay and wondered if you took the plunge.. I always get excited when people buy (or I imagine them to buy) boats. 

16 minutes ago, sparrowcycles said:

Ah shame, I saw Kent was off eBay and wondered if you took the plunge.. I always get excited when people buy (or I imagine them to buy) boats. 

dispite towy and Kent making a fun pair to own it wasn't me

19 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

Never mind everybody else, have you got PRINCE home yet ?

Haha, I am actually on my way to pick prince up now..

Though Yeo is not the fastest boat so the journey from London to Wheaton ashton will take a little while.  I am really looking forward to finally having Prince and to doing some winter cross-straps practice.

For me there isnt really any 'home' to take prince to either, just keep moving round, but I will b around birmingham this winter and shall get him out soon enough and see whats going under the waterline.

• Greenie 3

23 hours ago, sparrowcycles said:

Haha, I am actually on my way to pick prince up now..

Though Yeo is not the fastest boat so the journey from London to Wheaton ashton will take a little while.  I am really looking forward to finally having Prince and to doing some winter cross-straps practice.

For me there isnt really any 'home' to take prince to either, just keep moving round, but I will b around birmingham this winter and shall get him out soon enough and see whats going under the waterline.

I hope PRINCE goes well for you, and it should easily tow YEO on cross straps - or a line, but cross straps would be more suitable (PRINCE worked with AXE in about 1980).

Birmingham is where I learned my trade as a boatman and there are plenty of places to practice towing, and you will find things will only go wrong when people are watching.

Is there any chance that we could see YEO returned to a blue top butty now that you have a 'pair' :captain:

21 hours ago, pete harrison said:

I hope PRINCE goes well for you, and it should easily tow YEO on cross straps - or a line, but cross straps would be more suitable (PRINCE worked with AXE in about 1980).

Birmingham is where I learned my trade as a boatman and there are plenty of places to practice towing, and you will find things will only go wrong when people are watching.

Is there any chance that we could see YEO returned to a blue top butty now that you have a 'pair' :captain:

Thanks, I'm planning on cross straps, I've done a bit before but with severely mismatched pairs! 

Yes Yeo will become a butty again, I may fit a hydraulic drive similar to birdswood and Hampton but that will be very easily removed. Thankfully the swim seems to have been made by cutting and pulling the original steel in so if I can pull it out again there'd be very little original steel lost.. (I must confess I've been tempted by that half built hull on eBay that uses the stern from Wey.. then it'd all the proper steel. 

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, sparrowcycles said:

Thanks, I'm planning on cross straps, I've done a bit before but with severely mismatched pairs! 

Yes Yeo will become a butty again, I may fit a hydraulic drive similar to birdswood and Hampton but that will be very easily removed. Thankfully the swim seems to have been made by cutting and pulling the original steel in so if I can pull it out again there'd be very little original steel lost.. (I must confess I've been tempted by that half built hull on eBay that uses the stern from Wey.. then it'd all the proper steel. 

On 04 October 2004 I saw the cut off stern of AYE dumped on the bank at Caggy's Yard, Tipton. I would not be surprised if it is still there.

Personally I would refashion the underwater stern of YEO, and it would be great to see this as a butty again :captain:

5 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

On 04 October 2004 I saw the cut off stern of AYE dumped on the bank at Caggy's Yard, Tipton. I would not be surprised if it is still there.

Personally I would refashion the underwater stern of YEO, and it would be great to see this as a butty again :captain:

Ooh that would be much better than trekking all the way to Chorley to cut that boat up! I will certainly go and see, thanks!

Yes I have wanted to put Yeo back to its proper shape since I bought it, shouldn't be too long now.. there aren't many left. 

1 minute ago, sparrowcycles said:

Yes I have wanted to put Yeo back to its proper shape since I bought it, shouldn't be too long now.. there aren't many left. 

All of the 'Blue Top' buttys still exist in some form but only two remain as built, with one of these on the bank housed within a warehouse and the other with a 'pod' inside the back end of the hold and blue tops for the rest :captain:

1 hour ago, pete harrison said:

All of the 'Blue Top' buttys still exist in some form but only two remain as built, with one of these on the bank housed within a warehouse and the other with a 'pod' inside the back end of the hold and blue tops for the rest :captain:

Indeed, even the mysterious FAL! 

Apparently crt may put Wye back in the water (I hope they do).. 

I'm hoping Yeo will be up there with the likes of them soon enough.. 

1 hour ago, Ray T said:

IMGP3131.JPG

IMGP3133.JPG

Yes I visited the warehouse and spent a couple hours measuring bits of Wye in preparation for working on Yeo. It does seem that there were a few differences between the first and second sets of river class buttys though. Certainly the cabin with its elsan room seemed a bit longer and therefore it had a smaller stern deck. Also it has a small lip/nook on the front bulkhead which Yeo does not have, I wonder if this was to fit the GRP cube system into the hull length. Wye also had loops for strings to hold the blue tops down whereas Yeo has simple flat plates.. the list goes on.. :)

We have not seen Dane on our patch. It could be lurking up one of the back waters at say Thurmaston but this is unlikely. I'll keep an eye open for it whem we next go boating. I'm not certain where anyone would go to get work done on a wooden boat round here unless Paul Barber is able to do it. Alex Ramsey at Sileby is good with wood boats but would struggle to slip a full length motor.

11 hours ago, pete harrison said:

A way of getting something really old for not a lot of money, I guess.

There's no picture that shows what the counter stern looks like thouh, and that is often a significant factor in whether it is a "nice" conversion of a BCN boat or not.

However the modern(ish) Lister, the treatment the engine room, (with no roof hatches, pigeon box or roof exhaust), and the basic back cabin all fail to exploit the appeal of an older hull, (for me at least).

I've seen far worse though, and at a lot more money.  I'd say it has more potential than how currently presented.

4 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

Google tells me that the owner posted on here a couple of years back ……...

Clever Clicky

There's a better picture in there than the broker has managed!

I failed to spot the mention of gthe 7' 2" beam, which at least the broker has been honest about.  That could be quite a restriction.  Any enthusiasm I expressed in my last post is nw slightly more muted!

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

There's a better picture in there than the broker has managed!

I failed to spot the mention of gthe 7' 2" beam, which at least the broker has been honest about.  That could be quite a restriction.  Any enthusiasm I expressed in my last post is nw slightly more muted!

I too thought the broker was refreshingly honest about the width.

I guess this makes it (arguably) the narrowest widebeam on the cut!

7 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I too thought the broker was refreshingly honest about the width.

I guess this makes it (arguably) the narrowest widebeam on the cut!

No idea if there any left but some of the "Joey's were built on the wide side in some cases several inches