Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

33 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Perhaps it started life as a horse boat.

What though, makes it a josher back cabin?

579089_4.jpg?1534768554

Well if you believe the dimensions in the adver, the engine room and back cabin are certainly not of GUCCCo "Star" class proportions, and the whole thing looks very over-elongated.

Normal GUCCCo back cabin is 8' (near as damn it), this one is 9' 6"
Normal GUCCCo engine room is 5' 6", this one is 8'

So overall 17'6, rather than 13' 6", so not surprising it looks unusual.

The fully carpeted engine room is, errm, "unusual".....

676846.jpg?1534768695

Edited by alan_fincher

I’ve known the seller since the early 70s. Health issues drive a reluctant sale. Malcolm Braine did the original conversion to a motor from John Knill’s butty Uranus. The wooden top was Re-skinned in steel in the early 90s at Norton Canes and has been lovingly maintained since. I mentioned the likely sale a month or so ago on here, which created a furore of disinterest. Hopefully someone will look to acquire a piece of Waterways history and love her as the current owners do.  I’ve seen so many sales from old stalwarts over the last year or so, including our own Resolute. As the seller said, recently.....

” Old age....it never comes alone......it always brings a friend......

Dave

8 hours ago, pete harrison said:

I bid Ken £2000 but its wasn't accepted - think he had a viewer today who intended to do all the work required at Gems yard ....

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Perhaps it started life as a horse boat.

What though, makes it a josher back cabin?

579089_4.jpg?1534768554

The level profile of the cabin top rather than the upswept look of a grand union boat gives that impression. 

3 hours ago, dave moore said:

I’ve known the seller since the early 70s. Health issues drive a reluctant sale. Malcolm Braine did the original conversion to a motor from John Knill’s butty Uranus. The wooden top was Re-skinned in steel in the early 90s at Norton Canes and has been lovingly maintained since. I mentioned the likely sale a month or so ago on here, which created a furore of disinterest. Hopefully someone will look to acquire a piece of Waterways history and love her as the current owners do.  I’ve seen so many sales from old stalwarts over the last year or so, including our own Resolute. As the seller said, recently.....

Dave

Well I have to say I have always found this an absolutely beautiful boat, which I first noticed shortly after buying Reginald and as I passed, the owners waved at me from their conservatory and I waved back. Thing is, do I need a fourth boat, or not....?

25 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Well I have to say I have always found this an absolutely beautiful boat, which I first noticed shortly after buying Reginald and as I passed, the owners waved at me from their conservatory and I waved back. Thing is, do I need a fourth boat, or not....?

Well you do have spare engines if needed ... and spare Smartguages.

If only you had spare time since becoming a mod (not the scooter type!)

I have been told that boats are like rabbits - you can have one boat or you can have many boats.  You can not have only two boats for long!

(I'm down to three from six and keep looking at the duck ... Mrs Biscuit is sharpening her cricket bat as I type.)

2 hours ago, rivergate said:

I bid Ken £2000 but its wasn't accepted - think he had a viewer today who intended to do all the work required at Gems yard ....

my mind is at 3k but with towy out if action I have no way of moving it somewhere where i can work on her.

7 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Well I have to say I have always found this an absolutely beautiful boat,

I heard that there was a sister boat called Urelbow, and that some people couldn't tell the difference.

13 hours ago, rivergate said:

Jem has done a lot of work on Kent recently.  http://www.batesboatyard.co.uk/Kent.htm

I know nothing about wooden boats, but on the face of it this seems like a good deal for someone.

I don't know when "recently" was, as those images on Jem Bates website of KENT still show the clerestory roof in place, and the present images available through Ebay show the absence of said roof. Could be a while ago. Very tempting price all the same.

Edited by Derek R.
spelt clerestory wrong!

20 hours ago, dave moore said:

Dave

I understood that the stern end of Uranus is now called "Hineroa".  Also a Norton Canes boat.

It is indeed, Malcolm used the stern of Uranus, modified, to create the bow of Hineroa. It, too, was reskinned by Graham Edgson at Norton Canes. The owner hails from New Zealand and is still boating all those years later. Currently moored at Glascote, I think, where Graham’s daughter Sarah now runs the yard. Both boats carry my lettering, both done long ago.....

3 minutes ago, dave moore said:

It is indeed, Malcolm used the stern of Uranus, modified, to create the bow of Hineroa. It, too, was reskinned by Graham Edgson at Norton Canes. The owner hails from New Zealand and is still boating all those years later. Currently moored at Glascote, I think, where Graham’s daughter Sarah now runs the yard. Both boats carry my lettering, both done long ago.....

Thanks Dave, I misunderstood your post and thought that Uranus' bow was the stern end of the butty. I am aware of the Hineroa details as I know the owner. I think we may even have discussed this when you repaired my signwriting at Alvecote.

4 hours ago, billybobbooth said:

well they were on jems site before when I was looking so at least 2012

..yeah - think a few years back now...without docking one can see:  she needs at least one plank on the side above water line...internally its roughly between a bedroom and shower/toilet areas ( unfitted ) ...likely? to be more than one as is the nature of these things...and a big catch up docking - also with all that entails a snot been out for a while... :) 

..the clerestory roof was leaking and has been removed with a new ply skin - same on left hand side of cabin...windows not cut so blanked off...

..engine has blown water jacket...JP2....

....fit out....theres a stove in main cabin and a gas cooker but its really camping...

...painting ..etc etc....

..having said all that she still has a really nice feel to her and not withstanding what I guess? could be another 12k to spend on all the above to get a basic camping fit out kinda thing ( one could spend more :) ) Id happily buy her if a slightly more reasonable price could be agreed...

CRT mooring a 250 per month

I really hope she isn't dragged out and burned...a lovely boat :) 

depends on the wood under the water. bottoms will be the worst to do as you'll be onto new bottom planks too.

depends if water jacket is leaking inside but you can get lots of spares for jp2 mostly aftermarket though

to be honest depending what you want inside it can be fairly easy if doing work yourself to a semi high standard but being wood nothing can ever be set in place as it has to come out to do work.