Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

How did pinterest get it? I am not a subscriber, although it seems to have been posted, along with another photo of the old doors on Helvetia,, by someone with the handle Naj, whoever he/she is. I don't mind, but sureley if people post other peoples photos they should at least acknowledge the owner

If you "click" on the picture it takes you here: 

Did you post the pictures on this thread ? If so, "Naj" has probably lifted them and put copies on his pin board. The picture doesn't appear on the thread any more.

If I had realised it was your picture I wouldn't have used it without credit / permission.

Edited by Ray T

On 13/09/2018 at 16:38, Admiral said:

Seen on Facebook Narrowboat brokerage page

Narrowboat
£67,750
London, United Kingdom

REDUCED FOR QUICK SALE DUE TO RELOCATION OVERSEAS

Beneath the unassuming covers, Roe is a fairytale boat with a fit out made of elm, oak, yew, love and a sprinkling of magic.

Built in 1959, she is a 70’ River Class butty, motorised with a Gardner 4LK, rumoured to have come from a WW2 midget submarine. Current owner a boat electrician. Hi spec everything - from bathroom taps to batteries, this is a boat built to last.

Totally sorted for long term liveaboard cruising or you can find a marina.

The boring bits:

Batteries - 6x Trojan T105
Solar controller - Outback 60A MPPT
Inverter/Charger - Victron 3000/120/16
Generator - Honda EU30IS
Gas boiler - Morco F11
Stove - Morso Squirrel
Cooker - 60 cm cast iron hob, 2 ovens/grill.
Back cabin stove - Faure Revin, C19 century. Makes ace pizza!
Central heating - Mikuni 
Radiators - 3 + fan assisted rad an bathroom and heated towel rail (stainless, obviously.)
Calorifier - 100 ltr single coil.
Insulation - 50/100mm Kingspan
Fresh water tank - ample
Blackwater tank - 4 weeks+
Gas bottles - storage for 4x
2k blacking. Overplated bottom 10" around knees when last out of water according to survey. Current(ish!) survey available. All work specified carried out by reputable yard. Blacking and survey due next yearREDUCED FOR QUICK SA

Hmmm....no external shots, no shots of the engine room, and some of the interior décor is truly awful. But it looks and sounds like a lot of well-maintained old boat for the money. I hope the mog's included.

1 hour ago, David Schweizer said:

How did pinterest get it? I am not a subscriber, although it seems to have been posted, along with another photo of the old doors on Helvetia,, by someone with the handle Naj, whoever he/she is. I don't mind, but sureley if people post other peoples photos they should at least acknowledge the owner

I think the internet is changing the world and blurring the lines between what is expected and what us older people expect. It would appear nowadays that once something is published on the internet it belongs to everybody, regardless of what the law / morals might suggest :captain:

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

Hmmm....no external shots, no shots of the engine room, and some of the interior décor is truly awful. But it looks and sounds like a lot of well-maintained old boat for the money. I hope the mog's included.

Not the most attractive of conversions, although ROE does still have its original fore end and stern end - but obviously the stern is modernised as a part of its motor conversion.

If ROE were still a butty with blue tops I might have been interested :captain:

1 hour ago, pete harrison said:

I think the internet is changing the world and blurring the lines between what is expected and what us older people expect. It would appear nowadays that once something is published on the internet it belongs to everybody, regardless of what the law / morals might suggest :captain:

I agree. If we put our photos on any website we will have to accept that they might be shared anywhere else.

I've put a lot of my photos on Geograph and I'm happy for them to be copied from there.

I take the view that they are better there than languishing only in my own personal collection and only myself looking at them.

The only time I'm unhappy is the very rare occurance when someone claims one of my photos as their own.

To be fair on Pinterest and the person who posted David's photo on there, they haven't claimed it as their own, they have actually credited canalworld as the source.

This sharing of images is widespread. See something that you like, and the chances are it will be copied and saved to somewhere, quite often harmlessly enough, but it is one reason why I will not post any image that shows people - at least none that I know, family or friends. But of course, there are many books that do show people, and anyone can take a picture of something attractive and do what they wish with it. We show our boats, display our wares, people take pictures. You want privacy? You will need to hide. Everything.

2 hours ago, pete harrison said:

Not the most attractive of conversions, although ROE does still have its original fore end and stern end - but obviously the stern is modernised as a part of its motor conversion.

If ROE were still a butty with blue tops I might have been interested :captain:

But not at that amount of Money?

I did not realise that boats sold on Apollo Duck website commanded a premium - 'DEHLI' @ £85000 (advert posted today):

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/yarwoods-station-boat/573513

Whereas the same boat on Ebay is at the lower price of £79500:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DEHLI-LMS-STATION-BOAT-TUG-NARROWBOAT-BARGE-HOUSEBOAT/202420444753?hash=item2f2132de51:g:e-QAAOSwXahbV49p

:captain:

12 hours ago, pete harrison said:

I did not realise that boats sold on Apollo Duck website commanded a premium - 'DEHLI' @ £85000 (advert posted today):

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/yarwoods-station-boat/573513

Whereas the same boat on Ebay is at the lower price of £79500:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DEHLI-LMS-STATION-BOAT-TUG-NARROWBOAT-BARGE-HOUSEBOAT/202420444753?hash=item2f2132de51:g:e-QAAOSwXahbV49p

:captain:

How very odd!

Seems strange, as you say, that it is a new re-listing on the Duck, but the price is £5,500 higher.  They are not doing themselves any favours!

20 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

How very odd!

Seems strange, as you say, that it is a new re-listing on the Duck, but the price is £5,500 higher.  They are not doing themselves any favours!

Could it be something similar to the situation here in France, where the same house can be on, for example, 3 different agencies books, and at 3 different prices because each agency charges a different commission rate?

20 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

Could it be something similar to the situation here in France, where the same house can be on, for example, 3 different agencies books, and at 3 different prices because each agency charges a different commission rate?

I don't think so.

Apollo Duck, (where the boat is priced at £5,500 more), can be free for a private seller, and even their most promoted form of advert is just £99.99 for 3 months advertising).

Presumably if a boat is sold via e-Bay, (which is where it is priced lower), any commission charged will be a lot more than £99.99 on a sale of nearly £80,000.

2 hours ago, Athy said:

I think this one has been up for sale before. I remember the bit about the engine being "zero-timed" and how we weren't sure what that meant.

Yes, this boat has been advertised for sale continuously since been discussed on this Forum a while ago. The point I was trying to highlight was that 'DEHLI' is currently advertised in two locations but with two quite different prices, and with both advertisements current and up to date :captain:

13 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

Yes, this boat has been advertised for sale continuously since been discussed on this Forum a while ago. The point I was trying to highlight was that 'DEHLI' is currently advertised in two locations but with two quite different prices, and with both advertisements current and up to date :captain:

Yes, I read that. It is indeed baffling.

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

Presumably if a boat is sold via e-Bay, (which is where it is priced lower), any commission charged will be a lot more than £99.99 on a sale of nearly £80,000.

No, it is on as a classified advert - they are a fixed price for the ad, not a % commission. They also have the huge advantage that drunk idiots can not click "buy it now" with no intention to purchase and so cancel the listing.

The pricing discrepancy is odd though.

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

It tells me they are 'flexible' on the price. 

I'm sure if someone wanted to pay the £80k for it, they are saying they are not going to quibble. 

Yet the Duck advert states "£85,000 firm" which suggests that lower offers will not be countenanced.

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

Yet the Duck advert states "£85,000 firm" which suggests that lower offers will not be countenanced.

Oh I see. Offers above £85k will be firmly refused too, perhaps?

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

4 hours ago, billybobbooth said:

Kent back on eBay again.

now im getting tempted! this will only end one way though. but it's a far better project than other wooden Barlow boats about.

and with its auction starting price now down to £5k :captain:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Converted-wooden-working-boat-Narrowboat/263947836568?hash=item3d74845c98:g:9SwAAOSwfz9bVKnn