Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

7 hours ago, Derek R. said:

Thanks for posting. Sad to see a general aire of neglect, but boats are subject to whims of the heart from those who cannot for whatever reason meet the demands of perpetual maintenance. You must live for the boat, or it will age so much quicker. Love the table flap 'castle'.

..I thought she was in pretty good nic all things considered  - a big project for sure but not a basket case by any means ...it was just a shame that the engine water jacket went in the morning. ...

47 minutes ago, rivergate said:

..I thought she was in pretty good nic all things considered  - a big project for sure but not a basket case by any means ...it was just a shame that the engine water jacket went in the morning. ...

Those images certainly make me feel better about my boat, which had also been laid up for a while - but they only require lots of time and loads of money to bring them back. I certainly have no regrets...............................................................yet.

edit = so now you have seen KENT did you buy it :captain: 

Edited by pete harrison

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

And on Apollo Duck with the same broker:

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat.phtml?id=579413

The asking price of this boat has dropped considerably from the initial £65000 in June to todays £44950 - a fall of almost 31% :captain:

19 hours ago, matty40s said:

16 hours ago, pete harrison said:

And on Apollo Duck with the same broker:

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat.phtml?id=579413

The asking price of this boat has dropped considerably from the initial £65000 in June to todays £44950 - a fall of almost 31% :captain:

Perhaps Pete can give us the real history, but I find the claim that this boat spent its three yeras of working life on the Grand Union a bit unbelievable.

Surely "Admiral" class boats were built by BW for use on the Northern waterways, and use on the GU at that time sounds unlikely.

Whilst I like some of the "Admirals" this boat seems to have been treated in a manner to make it look just about an unappealing as possible, (well to my eyes at least!).

5 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Whilst I like some of the "Admirals" this boat seems to have been treated in a manner to make it look just about an unappealing as possible, (well to my eyes at least!).

Indeed it lacks grace.

But perhaps its saving grace is that it probably offers as much accommodation as a narrowboat possibly could, unless you added a basement or one of those sections which grows sideways out of some motor homes.

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

Indeed it lacks grace.

But perhaps its saving grace is that it probably offers as much accommodation as a narrowboat possibly could, unless you added a basement or one of those sections which grows sideways out of some motor homes.

Can it lack grace and still have a saving one?  My command of English isn't up to answering that one!

Indeed it must have a lot of internal space, but that doesn't seem that well used.  Based on our own "lots of space" experience, I still think a full sized bath in any narrow boat is daft!  (Ours has been removed!).

8 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Perhaps Pete can give us the real history, but I find the claim that this boat spent its three yeras of working life on the Grand Union a bit unbelievable.

Surely "Admiral" class boats were built by BW for use on the Northern waterways, and use on the GU at that time sounds unlikely.

This butty was with the Anderton CC boats at Northwich at least it was in 62 although first choice was the Yarwoods "dustbins" the Pimblott "Dustbin motors" empty were gate climbers you could see daylight under the stem post base plate joint when they had water in the back end to give them "Fan Hold"

11 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

2 hours ago, X Alan W said:

This butty was with the Anderton CC boats at Northwich at least it was in 62 although first choice was the Yarwoods "dustbins" the Pimblott "Dustbin motors" empty were gate climbers you could see daylight under the stem post base plate joint when they had water in the back end to give them "Fan Hold"

I do not have much on these boats but:

DRAKE along with COLLINGWOOD, EFFINGHAM and FROBISHER were leased for a short time by B.W.B. to Seymour-Roseblade, Leicester to carry timber from Boston, having been fetched from the north specifically for this - and I have them passing north empty through Braunston on 05 October 1964 having completed this work (only the motors are named). DRAKE then appears on B.W.B. Tender Forms dated 06 November 1964 and 26 April 1965 (Tender closing dates) and on both occasions is located at Hillmorton Maintenance Yard, and judging by other boats on the same lists it looks like this is where Seymour-Roseblade dropped them off. I suspect that this was DRAKE's last carrying work prior to being sold for conversion in 1965.

In 1962 DRAKE was still with 'British Waterways', although the last pairing I have is with MINNOW on 22 August 1961 - its steerer J. Moore giving up DRAKE for BIRDSWOOD a few days later, Anderton Canal Carrying Company were not formed until 01 December 1967 following 'Willow Wren' giving up their northern operations in November of the same year :captain:

edit = I am sure that the only 'Admiral' buttys to be operated by Anderton Canal Carrying Company were JELLICOE and KEPPEL, both of which were Yarwood built.

Edited by pete harrison

On ‎23‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 15:44, pete harrison said:

Those images certainly make me feel better about my boat, which had also been laid up for a while - but they only require lots of time and loads of money to bring them back. I certainly have no regrets...............................................................yet.

edit = so now you have seen KENT did you buy it :captain: 

..sadly no...the vendors assessment of a wooden motor restored 20 odd years ago needing at least one plank and a catch up of hull maintenance with an unfitted lid and a broken engine is greatly different to mine...but at a more pragmatic valuation I would be very interested - she had a good feel....

this is often the way, the build up of lack of maintaince is over looks by sellers, gets to the point they don't do any so get surprised when others mention the word.

a broken engine is easy but can be expencive to fix a depending on the engine or B if another can be cheaply bought and fitted.

1 plank ain't so bad but i suspect there will pos be the odd one below the water line.

a wooden boats most vunrable spot is the water intake point. an air cooled would be the best on wooden, they don't sound so noisy on a wooden boat but there still not as nice. other poor spot is the bow rub guards and the and behind the ice plates if fitted. last spit tends to be at the corner joints on the back counter block.

the rest is kept fairly easy with regular corking and blacking.

11 hours ago, billybobbooth said:

this is often the way, the build up of lack of maintaince is over looks by sellers, gets to the point they don't do any so get surprised when others mention the word.

a broken engine is easy but can be expencive to fix a depending on the engine or B if another can be cheaply bought and fitted.

1 plank ain't so bad but i suspect there will pos be the odd one below the water line.

a wooden boats most vunrable spot is the water intake point. an air cooled would be the best on wooden, they don't sound so noisy on a wooden boat but there still not as nice. other poor spot is the bow rub guards and the and behind the ice plates if fitted. last spit tends to be at the corner joints on the back counter block.

the rest is kept fairly easy with regular corking and blacking.

..yeah - all agreed....its a JP2 and split looks to be in the top of the block...cabin roof off to get out...personally wouldn't want an air cooled in place...

....but its gone from a mobile boat with a lovely engine and potential to a hull needing work maintenance AND an engine.... its still a nice boat but I guess someone will spend 10k+ getting her mobile and up to date on hull work and maintenance and then shed be worth broadly the same ( I know value isn't directly connected to cost with these boats but still .. )

On 24/08/2018 at 21:38, pete harrison said:

I do not have much on these boats but:

DRAKE along with COLLINGWOOD, EFFINGHAM and FROBISHER were leased for a short time by B.W.B. to Seymour-Roseblade, Leicester to carry timber from Boston, having been fetched from the north specifically for this - and I have them passing north empty through Braunston on 05 October 1964 having completed this work (only the motors are named). DRAKE then appears on B.W.B. Tender Forms dated 06 November 1964 and 26 April 1965 (Tender closing dates) and on both occasions is located at Hillmorton Maintenance Yard, and judging by other boats on the same lists it looks like this is where Seymour-Roseblade dropped them off. I suspect that this was DRAKE's last carrying work prior to being sold for conversion in 1965.

In 1962 DRAKE was still with 'British Waterways', although the last pairing I have is with MINNOW on 22 August 1961 - its steerer J. Moore giving up DRAKE for BIRDSWOOD a few days later, Anderton Canal Carrying Company were not formed until 01 December 1967 following 'Willow Wren' giving up their northern operations in November of the same year :captain:

edit = I am sure that the only 'Admiral' buttys to be operated by Anderton Canal Carrying Company were JELLICOE and KEPPEL, both of which were Yarwood built.

I didn't word my post exactly as I meant the BW fleet at North wich later of which some where to become Anderton CCC where all moored any how in various stages of repair/condition & Drake was among them. I as others don't think Drake ever was loaded & traversed the GU & further thought seems to come up with it laying in the wide bit below Hillmorton bottom lock on the offside  possibly as said left by Ken Roseblade  would have been 64/5 ish so it was probably sold from there

30 minutes ago, sparrowcycles said:

Kent for sale on eBay for £9000 now..

Well is it?

It is listed with an opening price of £9,000, but surely there is a possibility that if you put in a bid it may come up as "reserve not met"?

(Unless I don't understand how these things work, which is possible!)

Here is the advert.