Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Because a company named their boats after hills doesn't make them "Hill Class". Likewise standing in a garage doesn't make you a mechanic any more than standing in a church makes anyone a Christian.

As for the Great War, that's what it was called up until the 39-45 fracas, after which it is World War 1.

Or would you still go to Constantinople to see the Istiklal Caddesi?               

9 hours ago, Stilllearning said:

If it is the same Malvern that we looked at down at Harefield, has it got windows on one side and portholes the other, or something like that?

Blimey,

You are right.  I have just checked my photos from a brief viewing of it, and you appear to be quite correct.  Can't say that has stuck in my memory.

I was worried of evidence of rather incomplete insulation, but this seems to be the only photo I now have of that.......

IMAG0196.jpg

22 hours ago, djgoode1980 said:

Getting it wrong since 1975...?

its abit like people saying it’s been 100 years since World War One ended, sorry don’t they mean The Great War. 

490618A0-8375-4479-95B3-A160E9925FAD.jpeg

It all depends on whether you do your research by reading a book or doing your own research where a greater understanding is gained of other peoples miss-understandings.

The Robert Wilson / Alan H. Faulkner booklets of the 1970's were great at the time but there is loads more information available now to those who can be bothered to look for it, but most people will just carry on reading those booklets and blindly believe every detail. Alan H. Faulkner was a personal friend of mine and I greatly respected him, but we all had to start somewhere and those booklets were amongst his first publications and contain a number of 'issues' :captain:

35 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

It all depends on whether you do your research by reading a book or doing your own research where a greater understanding is gained of other peoples miss-understandings.

The Robert Wilson / Alan H. Faulkner booklets of the 1970's were great at the time but there is loads more information available now to those who can be bothered to look for it, but most people will just carry on reading those booklets and blindly believe every detail. Alan H. Faulkner was a personal friend of mine and I greatly respected him, but we all had to start somewhere and those booklets were amongst his first publications and contain a number of 'issues' :captain:

of course those booklets contain a number of issues otherwise they would all be first additions, lol

• Happy 1

2 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Blimey,

You are right.  I have just checked my photos from a brief viewing of it, and you appear to be quite correct.  Can't say that has stuck in my memory.

I was worried of evidence of rather incomplete insulation, but this seems to be the only photo I now have of that.......

IMAG0196.jpg

It must be about 6 years ago now, when we had a quick ok round the outside. My clear memory is of it looking the part from a distance, but being a huge disappointment close to. Poor steelwork on the cabin, the madness of portholes on one side only, all combining to make it a really expensive project to strip it back to the hull and start again. We didn’t so much walk away as run.

2 hours ago, pete harrison said:

You of course have a point however I was using what has become a widely used term to identify which boat in the easiest way possible. 

2 hours ago, pete harrison said:

You of course have a point however I was using what has become a widely used term to identify which boat in the easiest way possible. 

37 minutes ago, djgoode1980 said:

I differentiate these two as 'horse boat MALVERN' and 'Yarwoods MALVERN'.

What is possibly less known is F.M.C.Ltd. used both names and fleet numbers again on the disposal of a particular boat, but they were not daft as they only ever used them both together once. This is clear in the F.M.C. Ltd. Boat Register where all of their boats are listed in fleet number chronological order, along with loads of information about each boat. I have a very good transcript of this Document even though I am not particularly drawn to F.M.C. Ltd. boats :captain:

1 minute ago, pete harrison said:

I differentiate these two as 'horse boat MALVERN' and 'Yarwoods MALVERN'.

What is possibly less known is F.M.C.Ltd. used both names and fleet numbers again on the disposal of a particular boat, but they were not daft as they only ever used them both together once. This is clear in the F.M.C. Ltd. Boat Register where all of their boats are listed in fleet number chronological order, along with loads of information about each boat. I have a very good transcript of this Document even though I am not particularly drawn to F.M.C. Ltd. boats :captain:

Ah now you remind me of an issue I had a few years back. Being told to go research when said person held only copy of research I was looking at lol. Tho my efforts didn’t go to waste and spotted many errors in materials put out including drawings for the single motors that turned out to be for the big engine early northwichs. But yes I knew that as the new FMC book has some but I gather not all the listings as it tends to stick to the long distant boats and not those used on the bun as day boats 

2 minutes ago, djgoode1980 said:

Ah now you remind me of an issue I had a few years back. Being told to go research when said person held only copy of research I was looking at lol. Tho my efforts didn’t go to waste and spotted many errors in materials put out including drawings for the single motors that turned out to be for the big engine early northwichs. But yes I knew that as the new FMC book has some but I gather not all the listings as it tends to stick to the long distant boats and not those used on the bun as day boats 

My research has taken me to both public and private archives / collections, but like you I have been declined access to documents that I know exist.

I have no interest in the Robert Wilson / Alan H. Faulkner booklets as I have found most of the information they contain via my own efforts and can consequently apply numerous corrections to them. I have not seen a new edition of FMC, mine being the 1975 version with the fleet list of motors and steamers, but I bet my F.M.C. Ltd. fleet list is more comprehensive at 684 boats - including the B.C.N. day boats (where it also helps to have several sets of B.C.N. Gauge Registers compiled into a Microsoft Access database) :captain:

13 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

My research has taken me to both public and private archives / collections, but like you I have been declined access to documents that I know exist.

I have no interest in the Robert Wilson / Alan H. Faulkner booklets as I have found most of the information they contain via my own efforts and can consequently apply numerous corrections to them. I have not seen a new edition of FMC, mine being the 1975 version with the fleet list of motors and steamers, but I bet my F.M.C. Ltd. fleet list is more comprehensive at 684 boats - including the B.C.N. day boats (where it also helps to have several sets of B.C.N. Gauge Registers compiled into a Microsoft Access database) :captain:

Interesting as 743 listing in the new book (just counted :) ) however rebuilds of steamers and when the were converted to motors are listed as separate lines 

38 minutes ago, djgoode1980 said:

Interesting as 743 listing in the new book (just counted :) ) however rebuilds of steamers and when the were converted to motors are listed as separate lines 

If the new version of FMC is by Alan H. Faulkner then I imagine the fleet list will be based upon the one that we compiled (along with Christopher M. Jones) for NarrowBoat magazine Spring and Summer 2007, although the published fleet list was for boats entering from 1900 onward.

My list is as per the F.M.C. Ltd. Yard Book and only includes a boat twice if it was re-hulled, so most Steamers are only listed once :captain: 

54 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I guess this counts as a 'historic' - built by Peter Keay in 1970.

Price looks a bit optimistic though.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/INCREDIBLE-UNIQUE-AND-BEAUTIFULLY-RESTORED-HISTORIC-WOODEN-NARROWBOAT-FRIDAY/123292203187

I know this is a bone of contention for a number of owners of older pleasure boats but FRIDAY does not fall under the generally accepted term 'historic'. As I have said a few times before I dislike the term 'historic' in relation to canal boats and it is a moderately new term fuelled by the Narrow Boat Owners Club renaming themselves as the Historic Narrow Boat Owners Club a few years ago (and later still the Historic Narrow Boat Club), the acceptance of narrow boats onto the National Historic Ships Register and a 'Historic' boat licence discount. These all use the term 'historic' in association with former commercial carrying boats (as far as I am aware) and at least two have a cut off date around 1960.

To my way of thinking FRIDAY is of interest due to its material / method of construction combined with its builder, but no narrow boat is 'historic' :captain:

edit = I still use 'narrow boat' for an (ex-)commercial carrying boat, 'pleasure boat' for a purpose built narrow beam boat of steel or substantial wooden construction and 'cruiser' for fibreglass and lightweight wooden construction boats.

Edited by pete harrison

I normally use working boat (for old or new that is or has been) for commercial use. normally be say a 1930s working boat.

pleasure boats that have build built for this use with the only exception to something like elizibeth which i would class as a historic or old pleasure boat

and again fiberglass or light wood is a cruiser. anything old like a converted lifeboat or again cruiser built in 1930 i would state as a 1930 converted lifeboat or again 1930s cruiser.

but i normal class anything as old once it's around 50 odd years old. same with cars. (but i protest against classic) its not built as a classic its just old.

but funny enough the title of this page is historic boats for sale.

Edited by billybobbooth

3 hours ago, David Mack said:

I guess this counts as a 'historic' - built by Peter Keay in 1970.

Price looks a bit optimistic though.

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/INCREDIBLE-UNIQUE-AND-BEAUTIFULLY-RESTORED-HISTORIC-WOODEN-NARROWBOAT-FRIDAY/123292203187

Blimey, what a LOAD of pretentious waffle in the text of that advert.

And at £37k for a 45ft wooden boat, I think "Captain Sam" (as the seller signs himself off) must think he is somewhere in London not Yorkshire.

The sales spiel in the description is aimed at the romantics dreaming of a new life away from the rat-race - as is the asking price - dream stuff. £20K might be nearer the mark, The link to a you tube video is clearly showing a lifestyle of canal cruising with guitar and beers and a jolly time was had by all.

I guess the "historic" claim may be due to motor vehicles over 40yrs old now being officially classed as "historic", and if an owner of said vehicle chooses, they can declare it a "Vehicle of Historic Interest" and avoid the annual MOT (not that it's wise).

As to the former title of Historic Narrow Boat Club, I think at its conception it was the history of former carrying boats, the cut in general, and of course the infrastructure that caused the historic link in the title. It has since been dropped. I still have my HNBC brass plaque in our kitchen.

I'm sure FRIDAY is quite a pleasant boat to go cruising with though. And anything that didn't happen today is by some measure - historic.

Thanks for posting. Sad to see a general aire of neglect, but boats are subject to whims of the heart from those who cannot for whatever reason meet the demands of perpetual maintenance. You must live for the boat, or it will age so much quicker. Love the table flap 'castle'.

19 minutes ago, Derek R. said:

No I didn't. And I wasn't going to punt a guess as I'd almost certainly have been wrong!

He probably did the back cabin doors as well.

The style of the castles on the back doors look so close to those we have on Flamingo, which are by Ron Hough, so I would say almost certainly.

(Not that I'm an expert!).