Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

16 hours ago, pete harrison said:

The new 'improved' format of my boat files are constructed from the same records, and so will be the same information as you already have. I have not converted each file as I have quite a few, instead I edit them into the 'improved' format when contacted by a new owner - with each taking somewhere between 8 and 12 hours dependant on content.

WHAT!  The post-it notes and scraps of paper down the back of the sofa are going!  ?

George

1 hour ago, Tim Carter said:

That's fantastic Steve, really pleased you got Prince. Be sure to stop in again with Prince this time! I was told that George had been used for guniting?

Thanks Tim! I will definitely pop in with Prince, or probably Prince and Yeo together. if you're not too busy I might hang around a few more days this time. 

10 hours ago, Tim Carter said:

That's fantastic Steve, really pleased you got Prince. Be sure to stop in again with Prince this time! I was told that George had been used for guniting?

When I first took Victoria to London I was told it was Henry that was a gunnite boat.  Henry is the one Royalty motor that seems to have vanished and I always wondered if it had been cut down to do that job.  Remember Jay rebuilding Prince in Gas St.

12 hours ago, furnessvale said:

WHAT!  The post-it notes and scraps of paper down the back of the sofa are going!  ?

George

I may have mislead as it is the history files I prepare for owners that are in a new format, the originals still being on Post-It notes, scraps of paper, old bread wrappers, on the back of fag packets e.t.c..

I even had some notes on Izal 'tissue' until I caught a visitor about to flush it down the toilet - now I know my records are sometimes a bit iffy but I did not think they were sh*t :captain:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BuckbyLocks said:

When I first took Victoria to London I was told it was Henry that was a gunnite boat.  Henry is the one Royalty motor that seems to have vanished and I always wondered if it had been cut down to do that job.  Remember Jay rebuilding Prince in Gas St.

That would make sense, maybe Henry is kicking around somewhere with a flat front then, it would be nice to know where it is. 

Do you remember what amount of welding he had to do? I noticed when I looked at the footings that they had been replaced but possibly with the chines from a bcn icebreaker or similar. 

5 minutes ago, sparrowcycles said:

That would make sense, maybe Henry is kicking around somewhere with a flat front then, it would be nice to know where it is. 

Do you remember what amount of welding he had to do? I noticed when I looked at the footings that they had been replaced but possibly with the chines from a bcn icebreaker or similar. 

I have the original Bulls Bridge documents that detail the demise of HENRY complete with dates, so don't spend too much time looking for it.

I think the footings and bottom were replaced in preparation for the 'gravel run' in 1983. When I was messing about with PRINCE directly before its refurbishment it had quite a lot of concrete set into the boats bottom. The 1983 renovations were carried out at Keelkast, Horseley Fields as I remember having to stop off to recover some bits and pieces I had been storing in the Cabin - and I remember Barry Lycett being very cross with me :captain:

48 minutes ago, Derek R. said:

Izal - "Now wash and re-use" . . . or something like that.

Could cut yourself on that stuff.

Divergence you see . . .

I grew up with that stuff, standard NORWEB issue bog paper.

Once leaving the family home, 3 ply quilted aloevera lovely stuff has never been a cost issue.?

25 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I grew up with that stuff, standard NORWEB issue bog paper.

Once leaving the family home, 3 ply quilted aloevera lovely stuff has never been a cost issue.?

Always the same with nationalised industries and public sector jobs.

The stuff was so vile nobody would pinch it to take home!

George

4 hours ago, Paul H said:

That’s a different Prince!

The Josher one owned by Malcolm Webster. 

Paul

Yes I know it is, I wasn't suggesting it was a Royalty Class …. merely that we'd had a Royal visit, rugby tends to be a bit scant in that department. 

On 16/08/2018 at 22:50, furnessvale said:

Always the same with nationalised industries and public sector jobs.

The stuff was so vile nobody would pinch it to take home!

George

When I first joined Post Office International Telephones in 1972, it was 3 years after they had ceased to be a government department (the GPO) but they still had bountiful stocks of Izal paper with "Government Property" printed on each sheet.

20 hours ago, cuthound said:

When I first joined Post Office International Telephones in 1972, it was 3 years after they had ceased to be a government department (the GPO) but they still had bountiful stocks of Izal paper with "Government Property" printed on each sheet.

And in spirit of open competition when tendering to supply, we must not forget BRONCO, equally vile!

George

The Hillmorton Section gunnite boat in the mid 50s was a Royalty class - looks like George to me in these photographs: http://collections.canalrivertrust.org.uk/bw200.1.72.29

I'm sure my grandfather also referred to Prince as one of "his" gunnite boats which says it would have been somewhere on the old Warwick district as well - possibly also Hillmorton section but in the 60s as he did move there until 1961.

Edited by Rose Narrowboats

1 hour ago, furnessvale said:

And in spirit of open competition when tendering to supply, we must not forget BRONCO, equally vile!

George

One advantage those papers did have, was being used as tracing paper for odd projects! Can't do that with Andrex!!

1 hour ago, Rose Narrowboats said:

The Hillmorton Section gunnite boat in the mid 50s was a Royalty class - looks like George to me in these photographs: http://collections.canalrivertrust.org.uk/bw200.1.72.29

I'm sure my grandfather also referred to Prince as one of "his" gunnite boats which says it would have been somewhere on the old Warwick district as well - possibly also Hillmorton section but in the 60s as he did move there until 1961.

Great photos, yes it does look like George, I wonder if Tim carter has seen any of those shots? Did they have a sort of climbing frame build atop the hold for the spray person to be positioned on? That's sort of what it looks like to me in the photo. 

2 minutes ago, sparrowcycles said:

Great photos, yes it does look like George, I wonder if Tim carter has seen any of those shots? Did they have a sort of climbing frame build atop the hold for the spray person to be positioned on? That's sort of what it looks like to me in the photo. 

More likely to protect them from the wet shotcrete

Richard