Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

That seems remarkably cheap.

Presumably there must be stuff the advert doesn't mention.

(It also seems that ours is not the only historic boat with a bodhrán on board!)

I would think this is why:

We lived aboard very comfortably for 10 years, the hold was lined out, however I let some people work on it prior to completion of sale and they ripped it out and decided not to buy, (you live and learn). The batons are still in place however so relining is a simple job.

It bothers me that she has sat for 4 years doing nothing so I am flexible o price so long as your sensible. 

Richard

Just now, RLWP said:

I would think this is why:

Yes, I saw that, but £30K would be a very cheap price for a GUCCCo motor with a JP3 if it were in good order, even if there were nothing under the cloths, (or indeed no cloths at all).

I can't help feeling there has to be more of a back story than this.

If it doesn't need a lot of steel work it is an undoubted bargain to my eye.  If it does, however............

(I can't actually remember what price it was at earlier attempts to sell it - I believe it has been potentially available for several yeras, because we were made aware of it before we ultimately eventually bought Flamingo.  We didn't make enquiries, because we wanted one already carrying a full cabin conversion).

• Greenie 1

On 02/08/2018 at 08:43, X Alan W said:

What time frame did Ken Ebblewhite ? (spelling)own the boat seems to stir the grey matter to be in late 60's?

6 hours ago, dave moore said:

Hi Alan. Ken had it in the early 60s I think, I recall tales of it being used in the protest cruises to save the Derby canal.

According to the unpublished manuscript written by the Late Clive Guthrie tracing the history of all things built by W.J. Yarwood and Sons Ltd. J. Kenneth Ebblewhite, Long Eaton owned TRENT No. 5 from 12 September 1960 to 11 August 1967.

Mr Ebblewhite recounted his boating activities in a Waterways World article in July 1987 pages 55 to 59, including protest cruises to save the Derby Canal :captain: 

Just now, allybsc said:

Derek and I were offered Prince just before we bought Birmingham for 75K

I presume you mean £75K was the asking price for Prince, not what you paid for "Brum"?

It's just what you have written can be read differently?

I would have thought that a staggering price for Prince, but £30K sounds low to me, unless there is a big "Gotchya".

On 30/07/2018 at 14:09, sparrowcycles said:

Hopefully it's in good order, it does look like it's been cared for but not enough shots of the hull. 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F263830919458

Here's Kent on eBay

KENT re-advertised yesterday with a £2700 price drop - so now £24300 :captain:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Converted-wooden-working-boat-Narrowboat/263854094970?hash=item3d6eedfa7a%3Ag%3A9SwAAOSwfz9bVKnn&_sacat=0&_nkw=historic+narrow+boat&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313

Edited by pete harrison

23 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

I presume you mean £75K was the asking price for Prince, not what you paid for "Brum"?

It's just what you have written can be read differently?

I would have thought that a staggering price for Prince, but £30K sounds low to me, unless there is a big "Gotchya".

Yes sorry...if we could have afforded 75K we probably would have gone for it. He actually said between 75-85K when I spoke to him on the phone.

54 minutes ago, allybsc said:

Yes sorry...if we could have afforded 75K we probably would have gone for it. He actually said between 75-85K when I spoke to him on the phone.

How you get from £75K to £30K in not that many years I'm really struggling with.  You don't take £45K off the value just by ripping some of the inside out. 

Someone must know the story here, but I certainly don't! 

On ‎04‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 13:34, pete harrison said:

..any general back ground on this boat guys..?  I don't know its history in terms of repairs over the years at all....PM if that's easier / more appropriate...?

Cheers

4 hours ago, rivergate said:

..any general back ground on this boat guys..?  I don't know its history in terms of repairs over the years at all....PM if that's easier / more appropriate...?

Cheers

Take a look at Bates Boatyard website and scroll down to KENT:

http://www.batesboatyard.co.uk/Recent Work.htm

Probably worth having a chat with Jem Bates as well :captain:

16 minutes ago, rivergate said:

Thank you :) ..for some reason google wasn't helping me...cheers

Apart from all of the carrying history, which is well known, I can add that KENT was rebuilt in about 1981 by John Wooley following several years (and names) as a house boat at Paddington - and it later tied for several years at Lock 13 on the Aylesbury Arm :captain:

1 hour ago, pete harrison said:

Apart from all of the carrying history, which is well known, I can add that KENT was rebuilt in about 1981 by John Wooley following several years (and names) as a house boat at Paddington - and it later tied for several years at Lock 13 on the Aylesbury Arm :captain:

A photo of Helvetia at Lock 13 on the Aylesbury Arm in 1998 with Kent on the opposite side. Photo taken to compare the similarities/differences between a Nurser and a modern steel boat based on the Nurser style:-

292954691_013AylesburyArm.JPG.4ced4a51700dd27a8e989d68a4703cb9.JPG

Edited by David Schweizer
  • Greenie 2

18 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

A photo of Helvetia at Lock 13 on the Aylesbury Arm in 1998 with Kent on the opposite side. Photo taken to compare the similarities/differences between a Nurser and a modern steel boat based on the Nurser style:-

292954691_013AylesburyArm.JPG.4ced4a51700dd27a8e989d68a4703cb9.JPG

..nice picture actually... :)

...current owner/seller is talking about de - converting her if she doesn't sell....looks a decent prospect to me ....?

On 06/08/2018 at 07:28, mark99 said:

Deposit taken.

That would be me. I think it'll make a nice pair with Yeo. While I won't be going to pick Prince up for another month I would be grateful if anyone could point me towards any history or photos of him (doesn't feel right calling Prince a 'her') as there seems very little I can find through a Google search. 

• Happy 1