Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

9 hours ago, pipistrelle said:

This will not be an easy decision as she is a lovely boat.

Clypeus is moored adjacent Sara and I'm afraid I must admit the odd covetous glance...

A lovely boat to admire, I wish you well whether you decide to sell her or not.

21 hours ago, magnetman said:

It does look a bit like a Thames sailing barge i see what you mean. Old photos show that some sailing barges did come onto the Regents section of the Grand Union. 

The reason i doubted the manchester ship canal description is because i can not see a reason why anyone would tow a dumb barge down from manchester To London  .

Takes all sorts to be fair !!

Eta sorry the quoted text seems to have been messed up i didn't do anything my phone is playing up  

Indeed, and it being 70"x13"10' seems perfect for the wide London canals, I'm sure they can fit bigger barges on the Manchester ship canal.

13 hours ago, sparrowcycles said:

Indeed, and it being 70"x13"10' seems perfect for the wide London canals, I'm sure they can fit bigger barges on the Manchester ship canal.

Much bigger, the clue is in the name of the canal ?

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

Much bigger, the clue is in the name of the canal ?

Very true, it just seems odd to have a wide beam canal size barge on a waterway that large. 

Betelgeuse is still for sale by the way and I think the owners would take a very low offer.

On 10/07/2018 at 18:36, ChimneyChain said:

Asking price of Trent No 5 is  now being quoted on Facebook as "Offers over £40K"

For a friend: For Sale: Trent 5. 70ft. Northwich steel motor boat by W J Yarwood, no. 781 on their register. Built in 1946 for the Staffordshire Chemical Co. as a tanker to carry liquid cargoes from Shelton Iron & Steel Works. Fitted with original 2 cylinder Lister CE raw water cooled engine. Cabin fully restored by Ian Kemp in 1994. Listed no. 2476 on the National Register of Historic Vessels. Offers over £40,000. Also Lister CE spare engine parts, £600 and gearbox, £200, may be sold separately. Contact Tony Phillips 0121 354 4242.

3 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Asking price of Trent No 5 is  now being quoted on Facebook as "Offers over £40K"

Hmmm, I wonder why TRENT No. 5 is not selling as it has been up for a little while now - possibly because it is not a mainstream carrying boat, but I would think that might add to its appeal. Has it had any hull work done as the adverts only mention a rebuilt cabin 24 years ago.

I have known TRENT No. 5 since I was a boy and it has always interested me with its combination of welded hull, riveted cabin and original Lister CE, and had I not bought my boat I might well have taken a look at this one :captain:

1 hour ago, pete harrison said:

Hmmm, I wonder why TRENT No. 5 is not selling as it has been up for a little while now - possibly because it is not a mainstream carrying boat, but I would think that might add to its appeal. Has it had any hull work done as the adverts only mention a rebuilt cabin 24 years ago.

I have known TRENT No. 5 since I was a boy and it has always interested me with its combination of welded hull, riveted cabin and original Lister CE, and had I not bought my boat I might well have taken a look at this one :captain:

It does have that really curious raised decking over the hold area.

I'm showing my lack of knowledge of the boat, but I'm assuming that's not in any way original to the boat.

The point of it is lost on me, (can anybody explain), but it doesn't do its appearance any favours in my view.  Otherwise I like it!

It is a relatively "modern" "historic".

36 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

It does have that really curious raised decking over the hold area.

I'm showing my lack of knowledge of the boat, but I'm assuming that's not in any way original to the boat.

The point of it is lost on me, (can anybody explain), but it doesn't do its appearance any favours in my view.  Otherwise I like it!

It is a relatively "modern" "historic".

I am thinking that the raised deck is an interpretation of the deck that it might have had when operating as a tanker.

If I remember correctly TRENT No. 5 was fitted with blue tops and a fore cabin throughout much of the 1970's and 1980's which were equally not historically related to this boat - and the only time I ever saw it move was in the winter of 1984/85 when it was towed behind COLLINGWOOD to Wolverhampton as the canals in central Birmingham were drained and all boats tied at Gas Street Basin, Sherborne Street Wharf and Cambrian Wharf had to move out :captain: 

I have known Trent 5 since the late 60s. I recall towing it back from the Liverpool Rally in 68, along with Tony Phillips and Gil James on Clayton’s Tay. Tony bought it many years ago and I think he added the deck as a similar feature to the flush deck of Tay. It has been seen often at local events around the BCN, I think the sale is driven by ageing issues, an all too familiar story. None of us old timers are getting any younger.....

It's a change from the usual top drawer carpentry, and some 'interesting' features. I like the simplicity, and the fact that the sheathing is exposed to view and scrutiny in places. Like the 'Jerry' can header for the bath! But not to many peoples tastes I fear - nor is the asking price for a wooden motor with isolated access from front to rear. But it does have a raw attractiveness.

3 hours ago, Derek R. said:

It's a change from the usual top drawer carpentry, and some 'interesting' features. I like the simplicity, and the fact that the sheathing is exposed to view and scrutiny in places. Like the 'Jerry' can header for the bath! But not to many peoples tastes I fear - nor is the asking price for a wooden motor with isolated access from front to rear. But it does have a raw attractiveness.

Indeed, I like those things too, also not too inspired by the price tag. I think 'kent' is also for sale up in the Midlands somewhere at a far lower price. 

intresting she has original oak floor, dies this mean the hold or the bottoms?. seams bit on the expencive side for wooden boat but is more liveable than most wooden boats that have been for sale in last few years.

quite nice its survived i  what looks too be fairly good condition. but on other hand only 1 pic of the bow when in dock!

it's on the outside of hood at top of maffers flight. if I remember it sits very high out of the water and back block always looks a tad odd to me but gu Ricky's do have a slight odd back.

43 minutes ago, billybobbooth said:

intresting she has original oak floor, dies this mean the hold or the bottoms?. seams bit on the expencive side for wooden boat but is more liveable than most wooden boats that have been for sale in last few years.

quite nice its survived i  what looks too be fairly good condition. but on other hand only 1 pic of the bow when in dock!

it's on the outside of hood at top of maffers flight. if I remember it sits very high out of the water and back block always looks a tad odd to me but gu Ricky's do have a slight odd back.

Hopefully it's in good order, it does look like it's been cared for but not enough shots of the hull. 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F263830919458

Here's Kent on eBay

52 minutes ago, billybobbooth said:

is it me or have wooden boat prices gone up? at these prices with the work needed i think I didn't get too bad a deal.

I think asking prices have gone up on just about everything, what things eventually sell for of course ……….

10 hours ago, Derek R. said:

If it's not an essential commodity, then prices will always be what someone thinks an item is worth, and how much someone else wants it - or how much their head will rule their heart or vice-versa.

The initial asking price often has no relevance to the selling/buying price or a case of no sale

On 26/07/2018 at 08:37, alan_fincher said:

But re-advertised on Apollo Duck today at £42500:

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat.phtml?id=573934

Perhaps the owner is looking for £40000 whilst asking for £42500 :captain:

On 26/07/2018 at 16:06, dave moore said:

I have known Trent 5 since the late 60s. I recall towing it back from the Liverpool Rally in 68, along with Tony Phillips and Gil James on Clayton’s Tay. Tony bought it many years ago and I think he added the deck as a similar feature to the flush deck of Tay. It has been seen often at local events around the BCN, I think the sale is driven by ageing issues, an all too familiar story. None of us old timers are getting any younger.....

What time frame did Ken Ebblewhite ? (spelling)own the boat seems to stir the grey matter to be in late 60's?

12 hours ago, pete harrison said:

Royalty motor for £30k, PRINCE:

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat.phtml?id=576718

:captain:

That seems remarkably cheap.

Presumably there must be stuff the advert doesn't mention.

(It also seems that ours is not the only historic boat with a bodhrán on board!)